Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Getting out of uni....

Navraj Singh

Garage
Hey guys.

Got exams next week finishing on the 14th.

I am thinking of getting out of uni from the 14th to the 16th. Any suggestions on where to go??
Just me n another ;)

Cheers Guys

No one.....

I have never really travelled UK before. Been to scotland so I know areas around there. Any recommendations for a couple of nights not camping though. Dont think I can take the cold just yet!

Where you interested in going? Where are you? - You'd be doing pretty well to commute from Kenya!

Well if it was me and my mates breaking free after uni without any particular agenda...

Probably try and find a suitable challenge/interest of something you've never tried or heavily enjoy doing, basically in order to ensure the memory never faded...
i.e. Skiing - Indoor Snowdomes etc... parachute jumping / skydiving

Then head off to the nearest major city such as Cardiff, Birmingham, London or Edin... spend a couple of days exploring, getting pi55ed, recovering and reliving the previous days events....

but just an idea... I guess it really depends on funds and if you'd rather explore / go sightseeing or be adventurous...

Also, heard some good things about Student Universe for finding lower cost accommodation / activities when you decide where your interested in going....

Its a pretty quiet time to be heading off - so you should find some fantastic deals about...

Yep give some clues on the sorts of experiences you may want to do and then some ideas will come. Citybreak to amsterdam would be fun :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Would love to do all but here r the details:

Can't really leave the uk dont have a visa to enter Europe yet :roll:
Have my cruiser at hand and have just put in some A/T BFG's
Can't go anywhere far cuz as soon as i finish my exams I have an essay due in the next week. Just takin a break before I get back to work.
Uni has started for the rest of my fvriends hu are still tryin to recover from their winter holidays
Its jus me n my girlfriend

Have to be back into uni on Sunday nite, got class bright and early monday morning.
City, adventure, ne thing will work for me as long as i dont have to see a book, read a paper or use a computer LOL

Isle of Wight would be ok this time of year and you'll feel a bit like you are leaving the island. On the way or after you could take the truck on Salisbury plain - who knows, the locals from Southampton may join you. Salisbury is an ok market town to poke about in. Bath is good for tourists and the Roman baths are pretty good. Otherwise it is easy to lose yourself in London Town

SimonD said:
Isle of Wight would be ok this time of year
:thumbup:

Quiet though... very scenic, lots of nice beaches but not many places to take the cruiser & night life is a little er... sedated. Although, it could be good for a w/e away with the g/f. ;)

I can recommend a few places to go/stay if you're interested.

For ferry info look at Red Funnel for Southampton Crossing and Wightlink for Portsmouth / Lymington

Not normally classed as cheap - but probably cheaper than the diesel if you were to go further afield.

Isle of Wight it is!!!

I have my last exam on friday 14, finish at 12 then its straight towards portsmouth to get the ferry into the isle. booked with wightlink.

We stayin at luccombe hall country house hotel for the 2 nights n then back on sunday.

Ne thing a must see or do?

Definately wana check out the needles.....
Suggestions???

Good choice for destination and hotel location :thumbup:

Don't think you will be disappointed - will make a list and post tomorrow...

What sort of thing are you into - countryside, history, idyllic beaches, fine dining....etc...?

Never been to the Isle of Wight myself but I would say make sure you drive through the New Forest on the way there or back, it's worth the slight detour imo.

Edit: d'oh, just seen you're going from Portsmouth rather than Southampton (of course :doh: ) so might be a bit much of a detour..

Ok....

Few ideas on what to do whilst you are here...

Interested in Taking a Walk?
Now weather forecast is dry Friday/Saturday & wet on Sunday - but Quite Windy! (Have a nice comfortable crossing ;) ) - Considering the temps and prevailing winds (westerly) I'd suggest you keep to the eastern side of the island...

Shanklin - Culver Cliffs
Your hotel is right on the edge of Shanklin which is definitely worth a visit - although it will be fairly quiet this time of year... You can follow the promenade from Shanklin - Sandown - Yaverland - Culver Cliffs (around 16k there and back) normally quite impressive this time of year due to the number of wind/kite surfer's out...

Devil's Chimney
Around 1mile south of your hotel (nr Bonchurch Landslips) there is an impressive path cut into the cliff face running from the Smugglers Haven Car Park down to a small woodland and private (ish) beach.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRziaR3yQt_2wwR1Z14OsimHbzB01tcc_It4SDMWdCF8ZwPWxB.jpg

Needles
Normally I'd recommend a walk from Freshwater - Tennison Down - Needles, but a F6 gale on those hills would be foolish in these temps - So if you'd like to see them I'd suggest you drive to Alum Bay (iirc £3 / day parking) and walk the 1/2 mile to the viewing point (near the disused rocket testing area).

Interested in some History?
Needles Old Battery - You'll walk past the door if you go to the Needles...

Situated a few miles east of Newport - Carrisbrooke Castle is impressive and worth a visit - still using Donkey power to get their water - cruel b'stds.
2301438.jpg

Osborne House nr East Cowes - Queen Victoria's ex Holiday Home

I'll have a think of pubs / restaurants and post some more before you leave!

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRziaR3yQt_2wwR1Z14OsimHbzB01tcc_It4SDMWdCF8ZwPWxB.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRziaR3yQt_2wwR1Z14OsimHbzB01tcc_It4SDMWdCF8ZwPWxB.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 2301438.jpg
    2301438.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 46
Mr Elliot, tour guide extraordinaire!!! Makes me want to come & have a mooch around the Isle!!! :cool:

Gav Peter said:
Mr Elliot, tour guide extraordinaire!!! Makes me want to come & have a mooch around the Isle!!! :cool:

I'm not sure how good I'm at being a guide :mrgreen: - but I know a man who is about to find out ;)

As for a visit - I don't think you can go far wrong for a long w/e or longer (any less just wouldn't do it justice)...
tbh I've been here around 3 1/2 years and still getting used to it. Been over in my teens but never thought about coming here for a holiday or longer...
Then got approached about a job over here - so thought might as well go for a week-end break - have a look and see what I thought etc... anyway turns out its a tropical (ish) paradise in the summer, and pretty good all round place to live.

Obviously its got some downsides - but those are definitely out weighed by the positives imo

Ok - part 2 as promised:
Pubs...

Folly Inn - around 2/3 miles south of east cowes, nr Whippingham
Excellent Food / Location - nice sampling of the yachty lifestyle.
Folly%20Inn_jpg.jpg

Spyglass Inn - at the end of the promenade in Ventnor (if you go to the beach - facing the see its the pub on your left)
Again good food etc.. but excellent view of nutters on the windsurfers.
11640417.jpg

Buddle Inn - nr St Catherine's point (at the southern most point of the island)
Good food, reasonably priced etc.. oh and a View to die for.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-qoo71430GIENus-pBq3r5nH5EKAg_GfdO7-y4VHX1pdNhFJUaQ.jpg

Attachments

• Folly%20Inn_jpg.jpg
    Folly%20Inn_jpg.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 11640417.jpg
    11640417.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 62
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-qoo71430GIENus-pBq3r5nH5EKAg_GfdO7-y4VHX1pdNhFJUaQ.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-qoo71430GIENus-pBq3r5nH5EKAg_GfdO7-y4VHX1pdNhFJUaQ.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 39
Back