Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Getting rear seats out?

Bat21 said:
This will be similar to what Gilbert is confronted with:-

1429.jpg

Yes, that's what's in there. Nasty things. All the others were 14mm bolt. So if there's not tool for them, I maybe try to cut the heads square with a dremel so i can use a key on them.

Thank you for the info.

Just found those strange bolts at the 2nd row of seats on mine HDJ81, too. :|
After half an hour of hammering, they just didn't give in. Have to apply some different method.

Drill with same diameter drill as the shaft of the bolt head. This way you get rid of the whole head. Then using slightly smaller drill , drill through the bolt shaft. Then use tap to clear thread. If thread damaged probably enough meet in captive nut to use a larger tap. I don't think you will just unscrew them because of rust. My 1995 were rusted in and difficult even with a hexhead.

Frank

I had these clutch head type bolts in my 1994 VX (HDJ81) import, but both of my UK Landcruisers have ordinary 14mm bolts.

The production date of my import was 12/1994. So may be just an import thing.

Luckily mine came out easily!

Muxley's second row of seats are ordinary hex head bolts too - wassall the fuss about... :p

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They seem to be an import thing, mine has one (1991 VX Ltd HDJ81). A couple of hefty blows at a shallow angle with a cold chisel and it soon started moving. Gave me a bit of a start yesterday, odd that I should happen on this thread the day after :lol:

The thread is finer than standard M8 as well, when replacement time comes around I'll need to get some new bolts.

Those extractors are exactly what I'm intending to try next. Just have to borrow them. If this fails, drilling and tapping of course.
But huh, it surprised me ...

That was exactly what I did and mentioned as "a half an hour of "hammering".
No big deal really, will get them out, don't worry.
As a matter of interest I stopped today at the local Toyota center (one of the biggest here) and asked them if maybe they have an instant cure. They were all surprised, said it's the first time they encountered these types of bolt heads in a Toyota vehicle.

I hadn't spotted that, sorry, mine came out pretty easily once I'd sworn at it a little bit :D

There must be some JDM reason for them such as it being illegal to remove your own seats or something :think:

If anyone is interested I believe they are M10-1.25 x 25 Metric Fine Setscrews. I bought some stainless steel hex head bolts to replace the clutch type one.

Back