Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Glow plug lamp issues

charles1971

Country Flag
australia
Hi all - im new here so not sure if all members will read my post in 'new here' forum so apologies in advance for double posting.
I have a problem with glow plug lamp in my hj45 cruiser - it wont illuminate and assume the glow plugs arent glowing. Has anyone had similar issues if so how can i diagnose and fix the issue.

I appreciate all advice, thanks in advance.
Charlie

Last edited:
The FJ45 has a petrol engine and therefore no glow plugs. Hope this helps.

Okay, HJ45.

Does it start? If it starts, you can presume that the glow plugs are working.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can give you a fair bit of information about HJ45 glow plugs. However, contradictory statements are not very useful.
I apologise in advance mate i don't see how my description/questions is/are contradictory - i basically said lamp wont illuminate (so i assumed that would mean that the glow plugs wouldn't be heating up).
Im new to the whole HJ and diesel vehicle world so go easy eh.

You said you assume that the glow plugs don't work.

I asked you if it starts.

Instead of answering, you say that they are not very old, and it's just the indicator light that doesn't work.

This contradicts your original statement that you assume that they don't work, and didn't answer my question which would have helped me to sort out your problem.

Does it start?

???

You said you assume that the glow plugs don't work.

I asked you if it starts.

Instead of answering, you say that they are not very old, and it's just the indicator light that doesn't work.

This contradicts your original statement that you assume that they don't work, and didn't answer my question which would have helped me to sort out your problem.

Does it start?

???
ty

I don't know what 'ty' means.

But, if it starts, your glow plugs work, and either your indicator is burned out or you have a broken wire going to it.

If it doesn't start, then the fault can be, relay, wiring, ignition switch, fusible link, etc.

I was trying to keep it simple, but if you won't help me then I can't really help you.

Last edited:
Thanks - we tried to start it and it wont.
It has a new Battery, terminals, glow plugs, head recently shaved and new gaskets put in along with pre injectors and starter motor.

Okay,

Turn the key backwards to the "glow" position. Do you hear the relay click near the glovebox? It's fairly loud, you will hear it easily if it is working.

Okay,

Turn the key backwards to the "glow" position. Do you hear the relay click near the glovebox? It's fairly loud, you will hear it easily if it is working.

Apologies for delay vehicle is at my Brothers place on other side of Sydney - I just got here to have a look. The relay is clicking, but when I put ignition to start position nothing no sound aside from a mechanism that looks like a wiper motor. (See photo)

C59D5262-3C26-4A6D-8A7C-93237C1CB4D4.jpeg

Do you have a test light? Or a volt meter?

See if there is power going to the terminals on top of the glow plugs when you turn the key to the glow position and you hear the relay click in.

Also, check the fusible link to make sure it is not burnt out and is properly connected. It's on the main battery cable, right by the positive battery terminal clamp.

Thanks I had mechanic mate look at it - he tested glow plug using test plug. He stated that it need to looked at by auto electrician - as previous owner did his own auto electrics and has done a dodgy job at best that is/has compromised the rest of the electrical system. I appreciate all your advice ty (thank you)

Thanks I had mechanic mate look at it - he tested glow plug using test plug. He stated that it need to looked at by auto electrician - as previous owner did his own auto electrics and has done a dodgy job at best that is/has compromised the rest of the electrical system. I appreciate all your advice ty (thank you)

On a different topic have you any knowledge on retro fitting an electronic power steering unit in a HJ?

No sorry, never done anything like that. Ours was a workhorse, not a show pony.

I know that power steering was an option for the HJ47. Not sure what difficulties you would have fitting a HJ47 system, the steering pump mounts and belt drive would be the first to overcome.

Hi I uesd hj60 parts for the power steering bits hope it helps.

Back