Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Glow Plug Resistor?

MattT

Country Flag
south_africa
Hi gents. Just want to check something with those who know. My glow plugs stopped working the other day - dash lights, plugs and all although the engine starts with a bit of cranking. Around the same time I noticed signs of water leakage on the side of my engine block which is from the Glow Plug Resistor. After checking the FSM I found that there is continuity through the Glow Plug Resistor with a resistance of about 1100 Ohms. Could that cause the whole circuit to stop working? What is the purpose of the resistor?

I checked voltage on the Pre-Heating Timer according to manual and it doesn't seem to be getting the correct voltage at the specified pins which should be battery voltage for 18s on terminal 1 in the pic below. The relay sounds like it's working properly.

If the resistor is not the likely culprit here, any suggestions on next things to check?

Thanks for any info!

(Edit) I've just realised that some of the dash lights aren't coming on when the key is turned - the Voltage Discharge light and the Timing Belt service light. I can't remember what else usually comes on. Maybe it's an alternator issue?

(Edited after a recheck of the multimeter)

PXL_20210808_130744636.jpg

PXL_20210808_133543346.jpg

Last edited:
Back