Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Glow plug selection for my HJ60

Nick Sabrazat

Garage
Country Flag
uk
I think I have identified my cold start issue to be due to failed glow plugs.

Both glow plug relays checked ok but I have no continuity on glow plugs, at least on # 1,2 and 3. I have not bothered checking the other 3 plugs because I think the plugs fitted were the wrong ones to start with:

Bosch 0 250 202 058 10.5V

Those were purchased from Eurocarparts a couple of years ago by the PO, and they appear to be the one cross referenced to the reg of the vehicle on their website.

However, after reading through this excellent thread on Hi8mub, I think I should be looking at 14v plugs for my 24V HJ60 (super glow system I believe).

Before I place an order for some new plugs, I would like to hear your experience and recommendations with regards to makes and models of glow plugs.

Nick

Hi nick,
I am still on my current set of glow plugs but you will certainly need those suitable for 24volt set up.
Maarten at cruiserworld may be able to suggest options
Best of luck

I think I have identified my cold start issue to be due to failed glow plugs.

Both glow plug relays checked ok but I have no continuity on glow plugs, at least on # 1,2 and 3. I have not bothered checking the other 3 plugs because I think the plugs fitted were the wrong ones to start with:

Bosch 0 250 202 058 10.5V

Those were purchased from Eurocarparts a couple of years ago by the PO, and they appear to be the one cross referenced to the reg of the vehicle on their website.

However, after reading through this excellent thread on Hi8mub, I think I should be looking at 14v plugs for my 24V HJ60 (super glow system I believe).

Before I place an order for some new plugs, I would like to hear your experience and recommendations with regards to makes and models of glow plugs.

Nick[/
the difficulty will be knowing which ones yours was originally fitted as I don’t think those systems are interchangeable. I would speak to Simon Holton because he will be able to check from your vin

Last edited:
The glowplugs you have are for a BJ42 which is 12v with a 3B engine. You do need the 14v ones.

Regards,

Rodger

Bit of an update on this.

Simon Holton was kind enough to provide me with the correct part number for the glow plugs based on my VIN: 19850-58010.

Unfortunately those retail at £23.08 + Vat each (£27.62inc) after the club discount, which is a bit step for some glow plugs.

But thanks to the wonder of the internet I was able to cross reference those to NGK Y-197R (#2188). I grabbed a bargain on those on eBay at £37.29 inc. delivery for a set of 6. Those come with a 1-year manufacturer warranty so I thought there would be no harm trying them on.

IMG_20180321_180916.jpg

The cold start issue has now disappeared, and the car now fires up in a split second in the morning. Sadly those didn't arrive on time to test them under the -7degC that we had a few weeks back.

Nick.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bit of an update on this.

Simon Holton was kind enough to provide me with the correct part number for the glow plugs based on my VIN: 19850-58010.

Unfortunately those retail at £23.08 + Vat each (£27.62inc) after the club discount, which is a bit step for some glow plugs.

But thanks to the wonder of the internet I was able to cross rwferrefe those to NGK Y-197R (#2188). I grabbed a bargain on those on eBay at £37.29 inc. delivery for a set of 6. Those come with a 1-year manufacturer warranty so I thought there would be no harm trying them on.

View attachment 142269

The cold start issue has now disappeared, and the car now fires up in a split second in the morning. Sadly those didn't arrive on time to test them under the -7degC that we had a few weeks back.

Nick.

Have you got a link there Nick. BTW I've a window relay.

Have you got a link there Nick. BTW I've a window relay.

There you go:
NGK Y-197R on Ebay

There are a few sellers who sell the same product for circa £45.00 a set. The one I ordered took almost a week to arrive, but to be fair to the seller the snow fall the previous weekend had generated some backlog at Royal Mail.

Good news for the relay. Could you PM me a price?

Nick.

Excellent, mine is starting pretty rough so reckon I need some new ones, great info thanks:thumbup:

Back