Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Great White gets IRONMAN

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well, I started at 07.30 and 7 hours later, I wearily put my tools away. Didn't actually feel very well this morning and man was it hot! A gallon of tea kept me going, plus the odd break here and there to have a wipe down. Hmm, nice.

Got the first damper off in under 5 minutes. Looked a good omen. Lost an hour trying to get one of the rear ARB links off. Had to leave it in the end. Still got the springs out though. Used the opposite wheel on ramps technique to give me enough flex. Lovely. Unbolted the damper mounting plates without issue. All the bolts on this thing are in good condition.

Front dampers were a different story. Threads clean, but they were so tight that even with a bar, I couldn't break them. Like Basil Fawlty, I decided that it needed to be taught a lesson. Magic things those 1mm Inox cutting discs. No messing. Bottom ones needed the nut splitter and Irwin extractors. Sproinggg! Done. Had to try a different technique on the front springs, better to drop the axle in line than one side at a time.

So, how's it look and feel.

Looks nice, back end slightly higher, waiting for the loading to come, much more clearance on the tow-plough that's for sure. To drive? Well, strangely it feels very normal. After riding on the stops for three weeks, anything would make it feel less like driving a trailer. Caster is fine. Steering was slightly heavy actually due to the fact that the springs had given up completely. Steering centers well, no issues under braking, Fine in the corners. So, overall, it feels very, well, normal. Oh, it's higher and undoubtedly will be better when I get to Lincomb, but it's very well mannered. I went with the B rated springs and Nitro shoxs.

Overall, very pleased. But could have done with another pair of hands and more cold drinks that's for sure. Will have to replenish body fluids tonight, if only I could think of a way .......

Chris

Excellent news. Might sir entertain us with pics, at least of the truck?

Good luck with fluid replenishment.

Good choice ;)

Found mine was even better after i managed to compress each corner in turn a couple of times on the first off road axle twister, settled it right down.

Now i've put the poly bushes in it has made things a little harsher but still drives lovely.

Sounds good Chris, so come on.................

postpics.gif

Didn't put pics in guys as firstly I was a little too BUSY to take any and secondly, it just looks like a white 80 on a drive.

I'll go and take a couple of arty ones then. But it doesn't look particularly 'special'

Chris

Chris said:
I'll go and take a couple of arty ones then. But it doesn't look particularly 'special'
Yeah but it ads a bit of colour to the threads, ok it's White but you know what I mean.

Besides, threads without photies is like having Page3 without the
boobies.gif

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I reckon in simple terms that the front has one up 4" at least from where it was.

Here is the growing junk pile
IMGP4032.jpg

General pictures
IMGP4033.jpg

IMGP4034.jpg

What load I have in the back already
IMGP4035.jpg

Which weighs quite a bit

Arty shots. Hmm.
IMGP4037.jpg

IMGP4038.jpg

IMGP4036.jpg

Chris

Nice one - that makes 2 of us fitting suspension lifts today!, well for me finishing off, but took me 6-7 hours over 3 days
just need your old winch mount and winch to settle the front end of my LWB 90 down!

Well done, Chris - I had the same problem with the front shocks. Looks the factory glued the nuts in with epoxy or similar :roll:
The Shark looks good with the lift! Funnily enough mine "seems" to be sitting higher with what should be the same springs... Might be that mine needs more load in the back but I also have a fair amount of junk in mine.
Oh well, all good in the end :mrgreen:

Hmm, I need some Shark decals.

Not loads of stickers - just some subtle shark ones. In black.

Chris

Chris said:
I reckon in simple terms that the front has one up 4" at least from where it was.
Did you fit adjustable panhard rods and castor correction Chris..... if not it will be interesting to hear if it has affected the handling?

When I first had my 80 it had a 6" lift, even with both of the above it handled like a pig on stilts :o

Mine is now down to +3" but I left the adjustable panhard rods and castor correction on it... all is fine.

As I said in the post Paul, it drives lovely. That is not a 4" lift, it's 4" higher than it was, but given that is was about 3" lower than it should have been when I started, then the overall lift as far as the cruiser is concerned is pretty mild. I am guessing that in reality it probably equates to a 2" lift all round. Like I say - it feels perfectly normal. But hard to give figures as it was riding the stop all round.

Chris

When my ironman +2 was fitted i never did the CC.
Since doing the bushes last week it has CC as i thought why not as they were the same price, can't feel any difference at all.

Hi Chris,
Well thrers just no holding you back now.
But what a nice truck you got, it really does look great,

So please, just understand where to stop, don't go OTT.

Yea, I do like your approach to things

Graham

Back