Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Great White - Progress so far.

Rob said:
the abs sensor is gonna cost you allot form toyota as they only sell the entire front axle loom and both sensors as a kit.

I have been digging on this one and found in some countries you can buy individual sensors ;) I might happen to have a few on my shelf if needed.

Ian

Definitely needed, Ian, it's trashed. Might have or have?
If have, how much, please and when.
Needed asap.

Chris

Ian Rubie said:
Rob said:
the abs sensor is gonna cost you allot form toyota as they only sell the entire front axle loom and both sensors as a kit.

I have been digging on this one and found in some countries you can buy individual sensors ;) I might happen to have a few on my shelf if needed.

Ian
I assume this means that you can get the wire looms separately too. this would have been useful to know last month...

Sounds like you're going in the right direction, Chris ;) Doesn't sound like there's anything about to fail, so I wouldn't be too concerned about using it generally - maybe not for an overland to Morocco just yet.

As Jon mentioned, it might be worth having a quick look at the wheel bearings - this is a much simpler job than playing with the CVs and trunnions. Getting the hub cover and cone washers off will have them loosened ready for when you do the main overhaul. :lol: You will be be checking and setting the WB pre-load occasionally so getting started now is good practice, plus you want to be sure that a WB is not about to let go. Even from a standing start, 30 mins per side should be all it takes.

As advised, you'll need a 54mm socket asap if you haven't already got one. You can get a 54mm box spanner but a socket is better IMHO because you can torque it - box spanner or SST needs modification to accept a torque wrench. While you're buying sockets, might be an idea to get yourself a cheapo 24mm hex socket and grind off the chamfered lip in preparation for opening diff, t/case and gearbox fillers and drain-plugs - as you'll see, the plugs are very shallow and are prone to having their corners rounded off. Snap-ring pliers are a must unless you have some magic abilities to get them on & off easily with screwdrivers etc. Some of the circlips are quite beefy and take some shifting.

In planning your parts shopping list for the front axle, add some of the little wiper seal bolts. They're exposed to salt and muck all the time and they're quite puny so vulnerable to snapping.
Oh and use Toy OEM stuff rather than Milners for the front axle/hubs! :mrgreen:

I have a list of parts & part no's that I bought & used on my front axle rebuild that I can mail over to you if you want it!

Cheers,

I'd appreciate the list Andrew thanks.

On the 24mm sockets jobbie - I have a different approach as per Lil Blue. I weld a 24mm nut onto the filler plug. Starting inside, filling up the nut with weld. Means that you can get a full socket on there. TonyP might stick a pic on if we ask nicely. Not unique to 80s that weakness!

Got 54 mm socket on the shopping list.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Rob said:
I assume this means that you can get the wire looms separately too.

I have not asked but will check for future. I was going to buy the loom and sensor kits and break them down to sell the individual components when I found the sensors.

Ian

Battered and Blue said:
On the 24mm sockets jobbie - I have a different approach as per Lil Blue. I weld a 24mm nut onto the filler plug. Starting inside, filling up the nut with weld. Means that you can get a full socket on there. TonyP might stick a pic on if we ask nicely. Not unique to 80s that weakness!
Weld away :mrgreen: You will see that the drains on the diffs are nicely recessed in a protective "collar". Adding a nut on top will make the cap proud of the collar and exposed to passing rocks etc. :?
The socket works just fine if the plugs are in decent shape and they will stay that way with the modified socket. Unless a gorilla has tightened them, the FSM torque specs are not very high, so correctly done up, they'll come off fine with the socket.

The t/case extension for example is alloy, so over-tightening of the plugs risks cracking the casing :shock:

Will send over the file shortly!

No! I meant on the filler, not the drain! But I could actually do that and weld a deeper collar around the plug to protect it. Or, here's a radical thought, just buy a few new filler plugs :D

90's have exactly the same arrangement. If one is boogered, I can weld a nut on anyway to get it out.

Chris

a 24 inch breaker bar and a little care worked well for me.

would like to learn how to weld at some point. :shock:

and i got a few spare plugs to just to be safe.

Got stuck into the rear brakes tonight. New discs and part new caliper on one side. New Ferodo pads too. Whilst undoing caliper to inspect the hand brake shoes, got a face full of oil spraying out of one of the dampers as I knocked the rust off it. Is that bad? Please don't answer that.

Anyway, all in pretty good condition. Freed off all of the linkages, re-adjusted the shoes properly and tightened it all up. Handbrake pulling evenly but possibly need a little bedding in and there could be some contamination on there from the previous chap's bodging efforts. Will hold the car but not against the throttle. OK it's 4.2 I know, but I know that it needs a little adjustment still. The cable is quite stretched. Well they get badly adjusted don't they. Incidentally the calipers on the back of an 80 are the fronts off a 90!

Tomorrow they will all get bled thouroughly. That may be the answer to the last bit of pulling. Whacked some injector cleaner in there and gave it a thrash. It really is quite 'fumey'. Bit of a haze following me everywhere.

EDIT, bring round 'ere. I'll bang some weld on it for ya!

Chris

They do smoke a bit.

Got some serious grunt though. More than a wee handbrake can handle.

So you are diligently (quickly!) working through that big list of yours then eh!

Battered and Blue said:
No! I meant on the filler, not the drain! But I could actually do that and weld a deeper collar around the plug to protect it. Or, here's a radical thought, just buy a few new filler plugs :D
All this welding and carrying spares :roll: - just get the freaking socket already :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Email sent BTW. Funnily enough I was asking about new suspension - looks like that might happening sooner rather than later after your damper pulled a LR and peed oil on you :cool:

Still got 3 perfectly good ones.

I am not going to be convicted of tool abuse!!!! Grinding sockets. The very idea.

Chris

I get and post a pic of your welded nut tomorrow :shock:

Is it wrong that im now waiting for the day, in a few years, when Chris sells his Immaculate "Great White" and Buys a 120, just so that I will have a step by step guide to fixing all the things that can go wrong with mine?
Hopefully mine wont give me any trouble until then!

Best of luck with the new 80 Chris! Hope it all works out, and we see some trip photos soon!

Thanks mate. But you forget one thing....

IMGP1027.jpg

onetwenty - been there. ;)

chris

thats the first i have heard about this. so how many LCs have you had?

Err, 4.
80, 2 x 90 and a 120. I'm not new at this you know. This was my first. Over 10 years ago now.

C

P1010010.jpg

Back