Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

GRJ78 Troopy to Overland ready home

Lovely job, better than many "professional" conversions. Incidentally, TBH I wouldn't get too excited about insulation given the top half of the truck is essentially a green house.

Indeed! I was just thinking of an overland build where the builder was fixated on cold bridges, but hadn't addressed the acreage of single pane glass in their build...

But genuinely, it wasn't meant as a criticism, looks like a fab build :)

Oh it wasn’t taken as one! Always up for input this is a first attempt!

A little more progress.

6E84148B-7B4E-4409-8F13-BF0D48EF878B.jpeg

3B4B9C53-591C-4579-B212-A15A037D61EC.jpeg

That big empty space is rapidly disappearing!

The cabinets etc are coming on well. I’ve only managed a few bits of wiring and plumbing to go with this but it isn’t actually too far off being usable. Or it would be if DVLA hadn’t rejected my registration application on the grounds of I applied for a new car reg (because it is a new car) but according to them, because I sent an export certificate it is a used vehicle. :rage: WTF!

FCFFD624-26E8-4284-BE5E-683BEB0E3331.jpeg

Bed base trial fit, there will be a door at the end to access this compartment and the bed base will hinge too for access to storage below.
21FF9BDF-A549-4914-9B66-4BE96BB34C73.jpeg

Made the first cushion too.

On the vehicle side I finally managed to fit the relay/fuse power box. Nothing to hook up to it for now but there will be down the line I’m sure.
8A15B054-56C8-4AE3-A2F0-92947DE9CF5D.jpeg

fits perfectly in here, good job as there was no where else to put it!

I also got the water tank mounted, but my brackets need to be redone as the last leg is too long, pushing the bracket down away from the tank.
7CA3E322-D879-4FFE-80E6-47B481CE92FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Sarah,
watching this with interest, you seem to have everything well planned, making the most of the space etc, just one question, where is zeros bit!!

Andy

He’ll probably steal the bed and I’ll get the front seat.

Once there’s a pop top he can have all the lower space but he now likes to be close to me so I guess we’ll still share the lower bed

This is looking really nice. I especially like the door idea.

Where did the rely/fuse box come from?

Sorry, been a bit lapse updating… my spare time has been taken up painting a friends’s fence for them… finally finished that so back on the build. My carpenter has nearly finished… but now on holiday. I found a lovely piece of wood for the worktop. locally grown, (planted at the end of WW2 by the US servicemen… a piece of sequoia!
6E70036B-23D1-4812-8706-E420B6649CD0.jpeg

Well actually now it’s been cut for me I have two pieces so that’s the rear door table sorted too.

The interior isn’t far off, just this and the cupboard doors to fit and the structure is done.

E24BBDB3-6FD9-44BA-8B7D-C74558349F7D.jpeg

Lots of finishing off things to do. I finally figured a way to fix the floor at the door end and finish it off. A piece of aluminium angle and then trimmed down the original tread plate.

93F5FEF4-CD7C-48BF-9DC5-90F2BA1FEE11.jpeg

Blinds complete with midge mesh are held in with magnets. There are some changes to be made to the windows yet.

58054158-6E47-4661-904F-114B1D809A6C.jpeg

C6356048-B118-4DA0-9954-0F4417806943.jpeg

I’ve slept in it too! Sat in the garden with the doors open it was lovely on the hot nights.

The water tank is now properly mounted, having had a third go at bending up the brackets and it is connected, I just need to get a hole through the body for the filler.

There may be some other upgrades now too. My FJ has sold :joycat::joycat: so a little more in the budget… But first I have to finish off the camper side.

I do have a bar for the front. Found one on Fakebook for a good price so hopefully it will fit.

Started to enjoy bumbling about in it too. Now it is finally registered.. That said the V5 got sent straight back to DVLA to ask how they think it is OK to register a new (never been registered car as a Jan 2021 car when it wasn’t even built!! Plus they couldn’t even get my name correct. :rage:

Zero has decided this is the comfy way to travel… for him at least :oops:

C53EB052-FB50-4CF3-96EA-7E6669BF51E3.jpeg

I do have a bar for the front.....

Oh wow, a vodka and gin bar, at arms distance. I hope it's only used when stationary!

Looks brilliant but i do wonder at the full length drawer meaning you have to lift your feet to open it fully . I'm sure theres a reason for it (something you want to stow in there) so i only mentioned it while your carpenter is still around .

I do have a bar for the front.....

Oh wow, a vodka and gin bar, at arms distance. I hope it's only used when stationary!
Oh now that’s an idea! :sunglasses:

If I put the cocktails in the mixer before I drove they’d be shaken and stirred when I arrived…

Looks brilliant but i do wonder at the full length drawer meaning you have to lift your feet to open it fully . I'm sure theres a reason for it (something you want to stow in there) so i only mentioned it while your carpenter is still around .
Totally agree a pull out drawer there is common in Australia, but no good for us in the rain. It’s not a drawer it’s a cupboard for recovery kit easily accessible from the rear without getting in from the mud. The bed base also hinges to give access to this and the other compartments for storage.

B0B670A4-01F5-458A-899F-1DA06DEA0F07.jpeg

EDITTED:

Just realised you’re probably talking about the ‘drawer’ on the RHS? That’s not a drawer either. It pulls out an inch to be the bed support but behind it is the Calorifier and diesel fuel tank so I shouldn’t need access as it isn’t storage. (Access can be had for maintenance etc by removing the shelf above which is just a few screws)

Last edited:
Amazing.

Did they really need to get the windows out rubber and all ?

That’s a good question… according to the old workshop manual I have they only needed to remove the inner seal to remove the windows. (I did tell them this) But yes they did need to remove the glass so that they could do the job properly and by the time they told me they had been hard to do as they were in with black sticky gunk it was too late. Anyway they did a good job.

Back