Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

GRJ78 Troopy to Overland ready home

Once again congrats on the build. Been following from the start and it’s a fine specimen!

I have a question you might be able to answer - I may have a similar fog light as the one pictured in the early days of your build (the Aus one before you had to move it for the IVA). On mine it’s not working anymore and i can’t find the bleeding fuse. I traced the wire to the fog light switch below the air con dials, then back out through the firewall into the engine bay where it gets lost in the loom. Checked and replaced every fuse I have by the starter battery and passenger footwell. Do you recall where yours was?

I’m not sure which fog you refer to. The OE pillar lights or the aftermarket one I fitted under the bumper for IVA? Either way it sounds like an earth issue. Check the earth connector is clean and making good contact with chassis if that’s how it is connected. All light fuses are in the footwell kick panel.

The one under the bumper for the IVA. Forgive the ignorance but where was your earth connected to the chassis?

Yes I earthed it to the chassis. As this is an aftermarket light it would also be worth checking the switch function and connection if the earth doesn’t fix it

I connected the earth to one of the captive nuts on the end of the chassis/rear cross member

Sorry, been a bit lapse updating… my spare time has been taken up painting a friends’s fence for them… finally finished that so back on the build. My carpenter has nearly finished… but now on holiday. I found a lovely piece of wood for the worktop. locally grown, (planted at the end of WW2 by the US servicemen… a piece of sequoia!
View attachment 325750

Well actually now it’s been cut for me I have two pieces so that’s the rear door table sorted too.

The interior isn’t far off, just this and the cupboard doors to fit and the structure is done.

View attachment 325751

Lots of finishing off things to do. I finally figured a way to fix the floor at the door end and finish it off. A piece of aluminium angle and then trimmed down the original tread plate.

View attachment 325752

Blinds complete with midge mesh are held in with magnets. There are some changes to be made to the windows yet.

View attachment 325753

View attachment 325754

I’ve slept in it too! Sat in the garden with the doors open it was lovely on the hot nights.

The water tank is now properly mounted, having had a third go at bending up the brackets and it is connected, I just need to get a hole through the body for the filler.
So great to follow your build, that's a piece of art.
Just wondering, how do you fix the bottom ply wood (floor) to the car. Did you screw it through the body?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@Pachyderme80

The ply floor is bolted down through the main floor, it wouldn’t move anywhere but I did this for safety in the event of a rollover. Anything bolted down to it actually goes through and bolts either to steel rails or the main floor again for strength in the event of a roll.

I chose the Alu-Innovations roof as I prefer the look of it, it has a little more shape than the Alu-Cab. The two other options, Mulgo and Headspace are not available outside Australia. Function wise they are very similar, Alu-innovations have a couple of nice touches over the Alu-cab such as full internal trim panels and a bigger ‘porch’ over the windows. It is slightly lower profile and is shaped more to the original roof line.

What are the rubber wheel arch extensions that you have? Any good? Are they screwed on or just stuck?

What are the rubber wheel arch extensions that you have? Any good? Are they screwed on or just stuck?
They are rubber trim from here: Rubber Flexi Wide Arch 40mm Wide Fender Flares Jimny Discovery 4x4 Offroader | eBay - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Same stuff is for sale in Australia by the metre for a fraction of the price but found it too late.

It is screwed into the arch (holes drilled and painted/sealant on the screws to try and control rust). I had similar on my 70 but the type that fits outside to cover the holes left by the OE fibreglass. I like the rubber over the GRP type for being pretty much damage proof.

Cheers @Gr8Yota . I did a search when I saw them and wondered how wide they were. I need something like that. Mine looks like it's been off-roading every time you drive through a puddle!!

@Pachyderme80

The ply floor is bolted down through the main floor, it wouldn’t move anywhere but I did this for safety in the event of a rollover. Anything bolted down to it actually goes through and bolts either to steel rails or the main floor again for strength in the event of a roll.

I chose the Alu-Innovations roof as I prefer the look of it, it has a little more shape than the Alu-Cab. The two other options, Mulgo and Headspace are not available outside Australia. Function wise they are very similar, Alu-innovations have a couple of nice touches over the Alu-cab such as full internal trim panels and a bigger ‘porch’ over the windows. It is slightly lower profile and is shaped more to the original roof line.
Ok, thanks for that!
Did you compare the height of both, from top of mattress to ceiling? It shouldn’t have a big difference, but how much can you store inside when closed?
Good evening

@Pachyderme80

I chose the Alu-Innovations roof as I prefer the look of it, it has a little more shape than the Alu-Cab. The two other options, Mulgo and Headspace are not available outside Australia. Function wise they are very similar, Alu-innovations have a couple of nice touches over the Alu-cab such as full internal trim panels and a bigger ‘porch’ over the windows. It is slightly lower profile and is shaped more to the original roof line
Yes, better safe than sorry!!
So you drilled the floor to bolt the ply floor, right?

The closed roof has plenty of space for bedding. I have sleeping bags or duvet and a reindeer hide stored up there.

If you have a search on YouTube Troopy Africa (I think) has a great video comparing the two roofs search Alu-cab-Alu-Innovations

The closed roof has plenty of space for bedding. I have sleeping bags or duvet and a reindeer hide stored up there.

If you have a search on YouTube Troopy Africa (I think) has a great video comparing the two roofs search Alu-cab-Alu-Innovations
Hi Gr8Yota,
Thanks for your answer.
Yes I watched it but they didn't measure the internal space (which is quite tricky to do by the way). Nice comparison though.

Hi Gr8Yota,
Thanks for your answer.
Yes I watched it but they didn't measure the internal space (which is quite tricky to do by the way). Nice comparison though.
This one does all measurements

Hi Gr8Yota,
Thanks for your answer.
This one does all measurements
except the space from the support plate to the ceiling, where the mattress is when closed. Don’t know how you can measure it though. I’ve to calculate with the external dimension but at the end I’m sure the difference is not really representative. My guess is that there is a bit more place in the Alu-cab.

Popped back to Pete Hazard for the finish off on the bumper and he came up with a method of opening the swingaway with the door… awesome. (Yep not painted yet)
IMG_4903.jpeg

Also added the receiver hitch and a top plate (so now I won’t drop everything down the gap!) Thanks Pete.

Back