Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

H.I.D. conversion

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
We were in a coach yesterday, sitting in the pair of seats directly behind the driver.
When it went dusky, he flicked on his headlights.
Well, I never seen a road light up so bright before.
It really was like daylight.

I have now thought about getting the Bi-Xenon (Hi/Lo) H4 for the 120 series.
I am not ecactly sure if the 120 is a H4, but I think it is.
Can some one confirm please?

The Bi-Xenon (Hi/Lo) uses the same bulb, (instead of 2 filaments in one bulb of the H4) and uses a shutter mechanism to display high beam, or low beam.

I know some people say you shouldn't fit H.I.D to non H.I.D. type headlights, however, I am seriously thinking about buying a kit.

Now the next question, probably open to all who have gone the H.I.D. Bi-Xenon or Xenon route, where did you buy your from.?

Graham

H4 is the correct headlight bulb Graham. Keep us informed!

Cheers

Thanks Gary,

I can see many kits on ebay for around £70, so I think I will just get a kit.

Then I thought about the lower front fogs ?
Should I consider a kit for them, also, look cool I think.
I am not going for any shade of blue, just the plain diamond white, which I see is from 4500 kelvin to 5200 kelvin.
After 5500 kelvin, there is blue in the light, and also not as efficient in the actual lumen output.

I think lower fogs are a simple H1 lamp.

Graham

Not sure what bulb goes in the fogs. I sometimes wonder though if HID are not too fragile for an off-roader? I've seen a lot of HID dive lights go pop at the slightest bump ...

Graham said:
We were in a coach yesterday, sitting in the pair of seats directly behind the driver.
When it went dusky, he flicked on his headlights.
Well, I never seen a road light up so bright before.
It really was like daylight.

I have now thought about getting the Bi-Xenon (Hi/Lo) H4 for the 120 series.
I am not ecactly sure if the 120 is a H4, but I think it is.
Can some one confirm please?

The Bi-Xenon (Hi/Lo) uses the same bulb, (instead of 2 filaments in one bulb of the H4) and uses a shutter mechanism to display high beam, or low beam.

I know some people say you shouldn't fit H.I.D to non H.I.D. type headlights, however, I am seriously thinking about buying a kit.

Now the next question, probably open to all who have gone the H.I.D. Bi-Xenon or Xenon route, where did you buy your from.?

Graham

Hi Graham

I am not sure what bulbs you need for yours, but I have had HID's on my 100 series for about five years now, and was the best thing I did to it, admitting I have separate bulbs for low and high beam, but I don't think there is any need for them in High beam, but what a difference it made !

The only down side is they are supposed to be illegal, but I have never had a problem, even with the MOT, BUT ! I have also heard they are clamping down this or next year with the MOT, but check it out yourself, but its not going to put me off, as they are a lot better than the original bulbs, and if set up correctly they don't dazzle like some say

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Graham said:
Thanks Gary and Steve,

Steve, what kelvin colour did you choose?

Bi-Xenon H4 it's going to be then.

Looking at these, 35 watt, they are available in 4300 kelvin.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H4-high-low-HID-X ... 4156cade41

or these also 35 watt,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLIM-BIXENON-HID- ... 3cb04156a6

But these are more powerfull at 55 watt,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/55W-50W-H4-BI-XEN ... 4156be5a83

Graham
Hi Again

I went for the 6000k's but when I got mine 4300's were not that popular but if I have to replace the bulbs I will go for the 4300's as they are a slightly whiter light.

The first ones you list sound a bit cheap ! but you pay your money and take a chance, I would pay a little more and get something a little better (if you know what I mean)

This firm had a good write up, but I guess a bit more expensive !

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/

Sorry I cannot remember what year yours is, but does it have can-bus (Lamp failure warning) if so you will have to get a kit that will cope with that !

Steve

Steve Wright said:
Sorry I cannot remember what year yours is, but does it have can-bus (Lamp failure warning) if so you will have to get a kit that will cope with that !

Steve

Thanks Steve,
LC3, 2005,

I don't think it has the 'bulb failure' warning.
Well, it certainly don't detect when side lights are 'out'

My 2005 didntbtell me when the headlight bulb popped recently so I guess no CanBus

I had a set of H4 HIDs fitted to my green 80. Whilst the light output was impressive the beam pattern was not. There was a very poor cut off line when on dip. This lead to oncoming traffic constantly flashing me. They are now out and have been chucked away.

Just my 2p worth.

Hi Graham. I got my HID kit from the Car Mod Shop down in Devon. Been fitted to my Collie for two years now. They are Bi-Xenon and the beam pattern is exellent . The kit is well made and easy to fit. Tel no is 01395 269107 or search Car Mod Shop on Ebay shops.

Thanks Steve,

I will give them a call, see the specs, and check their price.
Like Gary said, there is no point in buying the cheapest.
I try make the point of not buying the expensive, so some where in the middle sounds good.

@ Ian, I think I read some where, that the H.I.D. work best on headlights that have no beam pattern correctness.
Ie, the older glass head lights, had some beam correction, in the form of ribbing to the glass, this accounts for the unwanted scatter.
On the other hand, the 120 series has a very smooth head light lens, (cover) if lens is the correct word, with no ribbing.
It has to be mentioned that almost all the newer cars, not just Toyota, where they have the H.I.D. headlights, they also have the very smooth headlight lens (cover).

Graham

I would be interested to see a) how yours goes and b), longevity.
I've never thought much of the 120's headlights. Dims are, well, just that. Brights are better but can't have them all the time :twisted:

I use Osram Night Breaker and are very happy with them except lifespan. It's pretty poor. < 6 months a bulb.

I had them in my car before, Bought a hi/lo kit off a shop at a car show( same guy is a friend of a friend). They involved drilling out the back of the headlamp access cover to get cabling in and had to mount ballasts/choke unit(electronic box) in the engine bay too.
They looked lovely for a few months until 1 bulb packed in and when I contacted the shop after, he couldnt sell replacement bulbs.
So I would suggest you be sure you can get replacement bulbs for whichever kit u buy.

Back