Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Handbrake ajustment

trev.w

Country Flag
england
Trying to sort my handbrake out on my 80,when pulling the handbrake on only the short cable moves at the rear,(passenger side right hand drive)does anyone know if the small bracket attached to the rear diff where the cable splits into two is supposed to move sideways to allow both sides to pull on the brake shoes, or does it have to be tightened up stopping any movement,mine was solid but i have slackened the bolt off and it moves now,dont know whether its siezed or it should be tight,

As Frank says, it should be free. However, due to the relatively poor design of the handbrake and the fact that 80 series are all now at least 100 years old, they can be in poor repair. The slaved brake never pulls quite the same distance as the straight through cable. Therefore when adjusting it's advisable to set the direct cabled shoes first then set the slaved ones very slightly tighter to allow for the reduced pull on the handbrake lever. This if course providing that you've got everything else in top top condition too.

Cheers,thought it should move,i'll make sure its all free before i start playing with the rest of it

Last edited by a moderator:
Sales pitch Trev just got some new dog bones off of Chris if you are going to overhaul and service your handbrake then some new modified bones should help other members have done this and mine is four years overdue

Back