Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Handbrake not working

Navraj Singh

Garage
Hey guys,

Having some problem with the cruiser. It failed its MOT as the handbrake is acting up.

The front drivers side handbrake part has completely seized up.

Anyone had an issue with this before.....

The handbrake on Landcruisers are notoriously unreliable especially on auto's. When you say 'front drivers side' you do know the handbrake only works on the rear wheels?

Possibly means the front shoe on the driver's side? There is a thread about handbrakes if I recall :whistle:

C

Well you know what we think about checking the basics first Chris, you just never know do you :)

Hey Jon,

What the guy doing the MOT told me is that the handbrake is working on the three tyres besides the front drivers side and thats why it failed its MOT.

I have got the feedback from him on the form. Was not sure what to do about it.

Should I take it to toyota to check it out or??

Weird, the handbrake is only connected to the two rear wheels not the front. You sure it says handbrake and not foot brake? If it says handbrake then I'd have a word with the MOT tester because he's got a bit confused or having a laugh at your expense.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Clearly Jon as you said. Never take ANYTHING for granted. So, handbrake not functioning correctly on one of the front wheels. Tricky one that. Wonder if it's anything to do with the third axle. :think:

Chris

Hi guys, is this some sort of upgraded Landcruiser with handbrakes for the front too????

hahahehe.

Just joking, Seems like the MOT tester is either pulling a fast one or he is not the qualified expert at the garage.

As far as I know most standard vehicles have the hand brake on the rear wheels only, save for some 4x4 which have a diff brake like the old Landrover 109 series did.

So mate just check with the dude, maybe he meant the foot brake caliper is seized.

Do let me know what he said.

Rgds
Kamal

Thanks Guys,

Thats very interesting, cuz it says Handbrake.

I gota call the centre and have a word with the guy. :evil:

This sounds like he is testing the vehicle on a standard MOT brake roller. As the vehicle is permanent 4WD it should be tested by being driven with a Tapley type gauge in the cab with the driver.

Hello Mate,

Did you manage to find out what actually caused the MOT failure?

Have you freed the front caliper?

Rgds

Hey guys,

Had a look at the MOT test certificate and turns out I was at fault :oops:

The rear drivers side handbrake is seized. I decided to investigate today and it is well and truly seized.

I had a go at it...got as far as getting the disk off but I am stuck now. Cant seem to get it out, I do not have a puller....Is there anyone near southgate that can help me out

Cheers :thumbup:

Nav, can you help us with a clearer description? And ttell us what you've done so far?
"it is well and truly seized" - what is seized?
Have you undone/slackened the "cog-wheeled strut" (special technical term :mrgreen: ) through the small inspection hole in the brake disc body? You have to peer through the hole, which is usually plugged with a rubber grommet to keep the muck out, and shine a torch in to see the little cog, which you then turn with a screw-driver inserted in the inspection hole. This strut holds the shoes open, i.e. against the inside of the drum. Without loosening this strut the whole disc/drum assembly won't come off. By the sounds of things the disc/drum is what you think is seized?

Once the strut is loosened, you can knock the disc loose with a rubber mallet or similar non-damaging implement. It can take a bit of a crack to break the seal of dirt on the hub but shouldn't require major effort. Certainly not a puller!

If it's something else, just shout and we'll try to help ;) Presume you've read Chris' write-up on hand-brakes in the 90 section stickies?

Cheers,

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.

I got as fat as the rubber plug but I was unable to see the cog that is supposed to open the show, all i can see is a spring in there.

I think this is what is not letting me get the disk off but I can just not see the cog. Is it in clear sight or do I have to poke around to find it???

Ok, Nav - assuming the 100 is the same as the 70/80/90 handbrake, that cog must be there ;) Suggest you get a torch and shine around there until you spot it. You need to have the inspection hole in the right place - 6 o'clock. If you have a pencil torch, put your face a few inches from the hole and shine around with the torch until you find the cog! Remember it looks like a solid grey cylinder of metal and the cog teeth can be hard to spot at first because you're looking at the teeth from right angles (i.e. edge on). Once you know where the cog is, the next trick is connecting the blade of your screw-driver with the cog teeth while blind. It can be a bit finicky but persevere! Once you've connected and you can feel the cog turn with each flick of the s/driver, you will get the knack pretty quickly and slacking it off should be straight-forward.

I re-read Chris' post and see he calls the "cog strut" thing a bottle screw btw. And reading Bob's post reminds me that I also used some 8mm bolts through the threaded holes to crack the disc off the hub - much more controlled than levering or hammering away.

See how you get on!

Thanks Andrew,

I guess I could not find the cog as the hole was not at 6 o'clock.

It is a little late for me to get back to it right away as the light is fading fast but I will give it a shot tomorrow morning.

Will repost then.

Cheers

No worries :mrgreen: Hopefully when the peep-hole is in the right position, you'll find the bottle screw! If you have somewhere to work on your cruiser in the evening, it might actually be easier using the torch in the dark to locate the cog. Just don't lose any small parts pinging off into the dark :whistle:

Back