Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Handbrake shoe return spring question

Analogue man

Hi All, I spotted something today that I’ve never noticed before, while fitting new handbrake shoes and springs to the 80 I noticed that the two shoe return springs that both fit onto the top pin on the backplate are slightly differen. They are the same in every dimension except the gauge of the wire, one is slightly heavier than the other. I’m using Terrain Taimer parts so I checked with the OEM spring I’d just removed and this is also the case. It’s not that noticeable when the old springs are dirty and rusty but you can tell with new springs, there is also a paint mark to identify the heavy duty ones. I’ve not been able to find any info on this in my manuals or on YouTube etc. Has anyone else noticed this, if so which is the correct fitment? I have my own theory but I’m curious about Toyotas info.

Hi All, I spotted something today that I’ve never noticed before, while fitting new handbrake shoes and springs to the 80 I noticed that the two shoe return springs that both fit onto the top pin on the backplate are slightly differen. They are the same in every dimension except the gauge of the wire, one is slightly heavier than the other. I’m using Terrain Taimer parts so I checked with the OEM spring I’d just removed and this is also the case. It’s not that noticeable when the old springs are dirty and rusty but you can tell with new springs, there is also a paint mark to identify the heavy duty ones. I’ve not been able to find any info on this in my manuals or on YouTube etc. Has anyone else noticed this, if so which is the correct fitment? I have my own theory but I’m curious about Toyotas info.
Hi Yes there is two different springs I have attached a picture ( yes I know its a 100, but believe its the same)hope you can work out which is the correct one
image_2020-05-08_15-44-38.png

Ineed and it matters. The heavier spring goes toward the front of the vehicle. This is covered in the handbrake thread incidentally. It's not the item highlighted in that diagram; it's the two at the top of the shoe.

Ineed and it matters. The heavier spring goes toward the front of the vehicle. This is covered in the handbrake thread incidentally. It's not the item highlighted in that diagram; it's the two at the top of the shoe.
Hi Chris, I was just about to point that out, the ones I’m referring to are numbered 46550E and from Steve’s list there is 2x part numbers. I’ll try and find the handbrake thread you referred to.

Here you go. The answer is on page 4. I might have just told you the wrong way round. If I did, apols. But have a read of the thread.

Hi Chris, I was just about to point that out, the ones I’m referring to are numbered 46550E and from Steve’s list there is 2x part numbers. I’ll try and find the handbrake thread you referred to.
Hi Chris, I’m looking for your
Hi Chris, I’m looking for your handbrake thread regarding springs But no joy finding it. Could you point me in the right direction?
Thanks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Like the link I posted in the thread above?

Like the link I posted in the thread above?
Thanks Chris, so on page 4 it says strongest spring towards front of car. While I’m definitely not questioning this, were you happy this info was from a good source not just “well that was the way I found it”, after all we are talking about the brakes on a heavy and powerful truck.

I wouldn't put it in print otherwise. I've been rebuilding this type of handbrake since 1997. But we aren't talking about the service brakes on a big truck, this is the handbrake only remember. Strongest spring toward the front. Final answer.

Back