Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Has anyone fitted the egr blank plate.

Well guys I finally got round to cleaning my egr valve today
Tonycy11 sent me a link to a site we're it matched my engine.
I say that as I have a Kdj120 not the 1kd ftv engine as big diffences in this project.
I never took pictures as the clips below was just like my engine and I will talk you through my process as the clips were from a Spanish site.

Step 1
Remove the black cover removing the 5x 10mm bolts as shown below.View attachment 164858

Step 2
After removal of the black cover your engine should look like the picture below.
View attachment 164859
Step 3
There are 6 electric connectors to remove on the passenger side of the car just unclip.
View attachment 164860
Step 4
Release the black rubber pipes going into the egr unit held on with 2x10mm jubilee clips. Just release for now
View attachment 164861
Step 5.
Release the harness clips as shown below. The odds are some may be snapped or missing due to past idiots but if not just follow the picture below
View attachment 164861
Step 6
There are 4 x10mm bolts connecting the turbo pipe to the intercooler radiator just undo put the 4 nuts safe.View attachment 164862

Step 7
There are 3 bolts holding the intercooler radiator on and only 1 needs a 12mm spanner other 2 are socket accessable easy
View attachment 164863
View attachment 164864
View attachment 164865
Your intercooler radiator should be OK to remove now and your engine should look like the picture below
View attachment 164866
Step 8
There is a holding bracket on the passenger side of the engine next to your egr valve.
It has 4x10mm bolts I think and all easyish accessible with a socket. Just unbolt and just let it hang there out of your way.
View attachment 164867
View attachment 164868
Step 9
There are 4 bolts holding a metal bracket on the left hand side of the egr block and held on with 2x14mm bolts and 2x12mm bolts but easy access with socket. Just remove the bracket and bolts out the way safe. View attachment 164869
Step 10
There is a bracket on the left side of the egr block with 2x10mm bolts with socket access and release the rubber hose going to the egr valve easy job.
View attachment 164869
Step 11
There are 3x12mm bolts holding the egr exhaust pipe bend on to the manifold block 2 bolts on the left and 1 on the right. All accessable the socket with extention bar as shown below
View attachment 164871
This is the right hand side with socket to show the location of the bolt on the right side.
Little awkward but with patience and good light will be achieved. View attachment 164872
Step 12
There is a 2x12mm bolts holding the remaining last 2 bolts holding the whole egr block to the body.
One on the left and socket accessable and one on the right I had to use rachet spanner because not accessable with socket due to water hoses etc.
This is probably the most timely job of the whole project as its OK if you have small hands or a wife or daughter handy. View attachment 164874View attachment 164872
After removing the final bolts you can remove egr unit with a little wiggle and if any clips still attached just release.
The 4 bolts you have just released are as shown below that held on your whole unit.
View attachment 164875

Now the time consuming part cleaning. The unit comes apart as shown below
View attachment 164876
View attachment 164877.
My Kdj120 has done 213000 and somebody has done an egr clean in the past as mine was not bad at all but still needed cleaning regardless. I used carburettor cleaner only cos I already had it.
People use petrol /break cleaner/oven cleaner etc.
One tip I cleaned the spring on the throttle body valve and the flap even tho it didn't look that bad. After using my spray and letting dry I then used sandpaper to get excess crap off the walls.
After cleaning and ready to reassemble make sure all your gaskets are replaced and secure.
To save a lot of time and headaches replace the gasket that fits between the egr and the manifold block with a new gasket as this is the important one.
I reassembled my egr but take your time and replace all pipes and bolts and electric tabs but don't rush as it will cause mistakes.
Moment of truth after reassemble the engine start.
I started my car and let run for a few minutes just to check all is good and bingo.
I went on test drive and was surprised how crisp my throttle response was and went like a rocket.

Tools used.
1x10mm spanner
1x12mm spanner
1x10mm socket
1x12mm socket
1x14mm socket
Plenty of patience for time consuming.
Hope you achieve your egr clean and put a tick on your mechanic skills.
Good look

Step 10 picture is wrong it is the one below just so I don't confuse anyone.
EGR2-16-200x200.jpg

Step 10 picture is wrong it is the one below just so I don't confuse anyone. View attachment 164878
Well done Tony , you do have a 1KD-FTV engine its just that its a earlier version , did you put a blanking plate in , bet it was nice to know someone must have done clean on it before on your 120 coz at that mileage the inlet manifold would have been bad if the EGR had not been cleaned before , now you need to clean the MAF sensor which is a 10 minute easy non messy job . but be gentle with it as its very delicate , I recommend you dont touch it with earbuds or your fingers like on that Spanish site , use MAF sensor cleaner spay and dont forget to spay the two hot wires at the bottom of the shaft coz they are more important than the bigger one with the see-through bobble on , let it dry and put it back or and use the JIS screwdriver in the backdoor tool kit to remove the two screws holding MAF sensor unless you have JIS screwdrivers . and unplug it before you take the two screws out of cause , happy days .

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Tony , you do have a 1KD-FTV engine its just that its a earlier version , did you put a blanking plate in , bet it was nice to know someone must have done clean on it before on your 120 coz at that mileage the inlet manifold would have been bad if the EGR had not been cleaned before , now you need to clean the MAF sensor which is a 10 minute easy non messy job . but be gentle with it as its very delicate , I recommend you dont touch it with earbuds or your fingers like on that Spanish site , use MAF sensor cleaner spay and dont forget to spay the two hot wires at the bottom of the shaft coz they are more important than the bigger one with the see-through bobble on , let it dry and put it back or and use the JIS screwdriver in the backdoor tool kit to remove the two screws holding MAF sensor unless you have JIS screwdrivers . and unplug it before you take the two screws out of cause , happy days .

My next job is an my oil change just waiting for my 7lts of oil to arrive but since I'm off work god knows what my car will get next.

Thanks for your input Tony into helping me with the information I needed to do my egr clean.
Much appreciated thank you.

My next job is an my oil change just waiting for my 7lts of oil to arrive but since I'm off work god knows what my car will get next.

Thanks for your input Tony into helping me with the information I needed to do my egr clean.
Much appreciated thank you.
Its a pleasure I love helping people do jobs at home instead of them spending money taking their cars to a garage who usually skimp on the time to do the job properly and charge big money , a EGR clean is mainly labour and the longer the time spent cleaning the better the job , did you put in a blanking plate to save you doing it again for many miles to come .

Its a pleasure I love helping people do jobs at home instead of them spending money taking their cars to a garage who usually skimp on the time to do the job properly and charge big money , a EGR clean is mainly labour and the longer the time spent cleaning the better the job , did you put in a blanking plate to save you doing it again for many miles to come .

No I left it off this time and wouldn't mind I have 2 plates at home but since I have done it myself it won't take long next. Its very rare I have a car more than 3 yrs as only found my 120 looking for an xc60 to buy. The guy who was selling the 120 wanted £4200 I bid him £3700 and he excepted (Bargin). I drove from Liverpool to merthatidvil and was a lovely drive through Wales and brecon beckons in my sisters Ford kuga.
Drive back was better in my landcruiser.

Back