Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Have LandRover given up on off-road vehicles?

That was the appeal IMO, it's just a shame that the reliability issues started with the manufacturing cut-backs in the 70s, and they never reverted to using good steel again and more modern designs.
I agree. Wouldnt of taken much. Sloppy management imo. Was even more usefull when they had pto.

Most companies have or are moving towards Pickup type vehicles instead of Defenders etc.
They are, but they still havnt got that all round versatility imo.

My experience with the early Land Rovers was OK. Yes they leaked and clonked but they were fixable with a roll of gaffer Tape and a wire coat hanger.

Now they are weighed down with more electronics than you can wave a stick at. Yes, some of the gadgetry is good and even useful but when a sensor fails that can leave you in the outside lane slowing to 40 MPH in limp home mode, because a sensor forgot what gear you were in means LR have simply forgotten where their roots are or were.

As testament to that last paragraph, isn't it ironic that many D3's lunched their front differentials because the axle breather design was poor, and the pressure blew out the seals and let the oil out. Of course there is a modified version of the breather....that you get to pay for!!!!!!!!!!

How can you cock up an axle breather? FFS!!

As the yanks would say, LR's have become 'Mall Crawlers' however, experience dictates that even that description is stretching it a bit far.

regards

Dave

Forgot about jeep, they are getting more popular over here, I know one overland organisation that has retired their defender in favour of a jeep.

That's something that they will regret doing in the not too distant future. The Defender will have been a far more reliable vehicle than any Jeep will ever be. We even had a guy in Queensland recently raffle off positions to help him destroy his very expensive Jeep 'Lemon' which spent more time in the dealership than in his possession.

This is the new LR I saw brand new in Spain last week. Solid front and rear axles with leaf springs and transmission hand brake. lol.
IMG_1280.JPG

Yep, Iveco took over the old Santana production lime; the thing was they used decent sized diesels in them (2.8 in the Santana) but ran them on S3 chassis. I can't remember what the Santana one was called that they sold in the UK for a couple of years with limited success.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back