Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Have you seen the flood in the "New Threads" list? - offroad tracks available

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
So after the past few weeks I've been working on a way to integrate gpx (files from your gps thingy-do-da) files into the site. This can now be view on the site, browsed, mashed about, etc etc.

See here: http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/forumdisplay.php/272-4x4-tracks
There is a new section in the Club House with all the tracks in.

These are tracks which, if memory serves, WarrenP sent me a while back. If you have any saved files from your gps-thingy-do-da then please send them to me. At the moment it works with gpx files (3 different formats) but if yours is not supported then I'll add for it.
It's a bit manual now, email the file to me and I'll load it, but the next thing I want to do is allow user-submissions. This should come in a couple of weeks or so.

There is a stickie in the tracks section detailing what it is. Leave comments and suggestions there. It's all very new and entirely believable that there would be a bug or 3. If you spot a problem, reply to the sticky and let me know what it is. I'll get it sorted out.

As always, feedback is welcome (unless you're going to say "it's crap" - then I care not for your opinion :) )

Cheers,
CP

That's great Crispin I have no experience at this sort of thing and the first one i looked titled "Wales" turned out to be a 4 hour drive away but the google maps link told me how to get there and then the waypoint marks on the club map removed any guesswork from the offroad route . Wilts and Glos Yatton Keynell is but an hour away from me , sadly no waypoints , but it still gives me hope .

This is great. My feedback as follows:

I have an iPad.
1. For N.Yorks Pickering to West Ayton, on the home page for the the track, the 'Track Preview' does not show the track. It is a blank square with no map. Others are fine though not checked them all.
2. As above on Pickering, When I click on 'View on Google Maps' Google maps app spawns ok, but only the starting waypoint of the track is shown, no route, map shows fine.

Last edited:
That's great Crispin I have no experience at this sort of thing and the first one i looked titled "Wales" turned out to be a 4 hour drive away but the google maps link told me how to get there and then the waypoint marks on the club map removed any guesswork from the offroad route . Wilts and Glos Yatton Keynell is but an hour away from me , sadly no waypoints , but it still gives me hope .
OK, so that one is one of the bugs when showing the preview. For some reason, when I make the preview image things get confused and it just shows a blue sea. I'll look into that.

If you click on the link that says "View Track on Land Cruiser Club" then you should see the track with all the waypoints.
The "View on google maps" is actually just showing the starting point - not entirely sure why I thought that was a good idea.

I have an iPad.
1. For N.Yorks Pickering to West Ayton, on the home page for the the track, the 'Track Preview' does not show the track. It is a blank square with no map. Others are fine though not checked them all.
2. As above on Pickering, When I click on 'View on Google Maps' Google maps app spawns ok, but only the starting waypoint of the track is shown, no route, map shows fine.

Thanks for the feedback - see my reply to Shayne. I think I'll remove the "View on google maps" or change the text to something else.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've had a few people send through tracks via PM which is very cool. Gary, Chris, Bat21 - you guys got anything from Morocco? Graham? Got any from, erm, Morocco border? ;)
Ben / Blown80 / PaddlerEd, other Aus chaps - anything to add to it? I'm working on a feature which will be pretty cool with loads of tracks.

Cheers,

Brilliant feature, route planning is so time consuming, much easier to plan a trip if you know you don't have to spend days on the maps.

Caveat: most of my UK routes are on byways/UCRs, often these routes will need checking on Trailwise if more than a few months old, as the councils will/do put TRO's on individual lanes within the route. Might be a good idea to put some user info in the post, level of difficulty, hazards, and the date the route was last driven/checked for legality.

I've got a bunch of UK gpx files, some I've done, some I've collected from people and some nicked from trailzilla, where do I send them?

edit: sorry just read the sticky, you've got it covered already :icon-redface:

Last edited:
Brilliant feature, route planning is so time consuming, much easier to plan a trip if you know you don't have to spend days on the maps.
I wonder if there is a way I can make the maps editable. This would allow you to add to a route, change it, and then save it as your route. Will add to the list.

Caveat: most of my UK routes are on byways/UCRs, often these routes will need checking on Trailwise if more than a few months old, as the councils will/do put TRO's on individual lanes within the route. Might be a good idea to put some user info in the post, level of difficulty, hazards, and the date the route was last driven/checked for legality.
Also good points. I can put some details onto the initial post which users can maintain and comment on. Added to the list. It would be cool to add replies to the the individual threads with photos and comments :)

I've got a bunch of UK gpx files, some I've done, some I've collected from people and some nicked from trailzilla, where do I send them?

edit: sorry just read the sticky, you've got it covered already :icon-redface:
:D Please, will get them loaded. If I could ask that you make the file names something descriptive like the route's name. That's what gets used for the post for now. When they loaded you can add some pics you no-doubt took on the various trips ;)

Hi Crispin
Looks good, I will get some together at some point and send them. Including my Alps route.
I Assume only registered members can access these ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder if there is a way I can make the maps editable. This would allow you to add to a route, change it, and then save it as your route. Will add to the list.

If they're live editable, is there a chance they could get screwed up?

I suggest leaving the original files alone, if anyone wants to use them they'll have to make a judgement call from the date of the last use/posting and any comments, they can import the route, check legalities, and edit where nessesary, then re-upload it in the same thread - as a new/updated version of that route with notes on date it was checked?

Hi Crispin
Looks good, I will get some together at some point and send them. Including my Alps route.
I Assume only registered members can access these ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Andy,

For now, the posts are open to all. When I get the download working I have that the same as the service manuals. It stops drive-by ripping and spammers.

If they're live editable, is there a chance they could get screwed up?

I suggest leaving the original files alone, if anyone wants to use them they'll have to make a judgement call from the date of the last use/posting and any comments, they can import the route, check legalities, and edit where nessesary, then re-upload it in the same thread - as a new/updated version of that route with notes on date it was checked?

Agreed, the editing was implying that you can change or add to a map and then save it as a new one. This would make it handy for people to enhance or correct a map but not overwrite it as well as route-planning with a good starting point.

I have an iPad.

I went through the same process on my iPad, but if you select view on www.landcruiserclub.net up comes the full route in google maps.

The google maps starting point is great for people like me who have no experience . To explain every time Florida Strata is mentioned i think to myself i must go there for a look and so i batter google hoping for a full confession . The best i have ever got is there is a church or abbey or some such thing up that way and all i can do is go to that and see what , if anything , presents itself , hence i have never been .

Unfortunately part of the Derbyshire Fox House Inn to Castleton route is now blocked by a permanent TRO by DCC at Long Causeway between Stanage Edge and Outseats requiring a substantial detour. Yet another good route lost.

I've got loads of track logs for Morocco but some I can't share unfortunately.

Some commercial tour operators are less than happy if track logs from their trips are shared publically, something to bare in mind to avoid upsetting any one

Just mailed Crispin the RaidMaroc 2015 Tracklog, all 5939km of it,to add to the collection

Unfortunately part of the Derbyshire Fox House Inn to Castleton route is now blocked by a permanent TRO by DCC at Long Causeway between Stanage Edge and Outseats requiring a substantial detour. Yet another good route lost.
TP - could you post that on the track please? Best way to keep everyone informed. :)

Back