Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HD Video Camera

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Ok, been using a Go Pro attached to the dash for quick snap HD recording, but its not the best piece of kit. (LCD screen is rubbish and I'm on my third one) albeit small and portable.

I use a canon 7D for more serious video recording in HD as its boradcast quality, but that is too cumbersome to man handle in truck.

I want a smaller, easier to use/carry/manupulate HD recorder that I can use in the truck (mount) to get those instant videos that I often miss.

Must be full HD, solid state, robust.

So guys what to buy? Whose using what?

If the Go Pro is the latest version can I have first dibbs if you plan on seling it pls.

That aside Canon or Sony are what I would reccomend when it comes to what you are looking for but they are not cheap.

What is the budget?

If the Go Pro is the latest version can I have first dibbs if you plan on seling it pls.

That aside Canon or Sony are what I would reccomend when it comes to what you are looking for but they are not cheap.

What is the budget?

Although not constrained by budget, I dont want to go nuts. More than the Go Pro but less than the 7D!

PS... whilst we're at it , can anyone recommend a good video editing suite for Mac?

Last edited:
Sony announced this a while ago. Think they're worried about losing too much ground in the small-camera market?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/46319/sony-unveils-wearable-high-definition-camera

sony-unveils-wearable-high-definition-camera-0.jpg

Not too sure of specs though

Ok, been using a Go Pro attached to the dash for quick snap HD recording, but its not the best piece of kit. (LCD screen is rubbish and I'm on my third one) albeit small and portable.

I use a canon 7D for more serious video recording in HD as its boradcast quality, but that is too cumbersome to man handle in truck.

I want a smaller, easier to use/carry/manupulate HD recorder that I can use in the truck (mount) to get those instant videos that I often miss.

Must be full HD, solid state, robust.

So guys what to buy? Whose using what?

Very surprised by this! I have a good friend that shoots documentaries and he swears by the GoPro cameras, the Hero 2 in particular. From what he has told me, you need to set the go pro up properly to get the best out of it (frame rates and all that sort of stuff). He shoots morstly in 720 and not 1080 due to it being a smoother shot. Most of the stuff he shoots is moving fairly quickly. Apparently if your shooting motion the 720p will give you a more fluid picture where 1080 will stutter a bit. So depends on what your shoiting i guess. But I'd play around with that GoPro a bit more before giving up on it.

Also check out this, it was all filmed on Go Pro Hero2's an the quality looks pretty good...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Cris will look at that.

Ryan, yep the Gopro does take good video, however I'm now on my third crappy LCD screen in 18mths . Yes it can be used without the LCD but you can't tell if it's recording, or on, or actually off etc
Quality is also very dependent on setting and little point selling it as a true HD when in reality the best results are obtained 720

Oh I've sent you an email a couple of days ago...
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Yep seen that. I've had too many failures (3 now) with the Gopro... Wouldn't buy another!!

Sony is on back - order so can't report any findings just yet.

Good 'ol Tapatalk

What failures did you experience Olazz? I've been eyeing out that Hero3...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey Ryan,

Had the original Gopro and after 4 hours of use it just stopped working. Returned it and it was replaced.
Fitted an LCD bacpac to the replacement and the backpac failed twice... had 2 further replacements, the second came with a New Gopro 2
Latest Gopro 2 worked for a couple of days on the trip with the bacpac, then the bacpac just stopped working.

I wrote to Gopro again about this 4 weeks ago and to be honest I just cannot be bothered to do the whole "returns thing" again(all at my own cost) to receive a "new" camera that also fails.!! (oh and it takes about 5 weeks to return)

Using the Gopro without a screen, when fixed in the car facing forwards is pretty near useless anyway, as you cannot see if the darn thing is recording or not. I lost so much video footage as I thought I was recording but it was off. On 2 separate occasions, I didn't realise it was recording and had stopped, hours later when I switched the thing on the battery was flat so no recording for the rest of those days!

If you want to strap it to your helmet/surfboard/skiis and press the start button each time for a particular run then fine... but to use it in the manner I need, in the truck and ready to record quickly, then without a screen its rubbish.... in fact even with a screen its pretty crap as the on off button is on the front of the camera and you have to push the front button wait for it to fire up, then push the top record button.

Ok if you can see its on... but many times I pushed the on button, only to switch the damned thing off, because it was already on, I couldn't tell and so lost the moment!

Can't fault the actual quality of the recordings though, they are proper HD.

The Sony seems to have taken all of the good bits, engineered and designed a better more intuitive UI for their camera. Big start/stop button on rear of camera that flashes red when recording, Simple and effective. Can also view what your recording through your smart phone if you choose, so no need to connect a screen.

Did you use the GoPro iPhone / Android app at all Olazz?

No Gaz didn't know there was one. Whats it do then?

Another piece of electronic crap!

Well, received my new Sony Action cam today.. ordered on the 29th Sept!

Opened the box expecting to find all the basic stuff + extra battery and a desk charger as they ship thay way in the USA... Oh no, not in rip off Britain. You get the very basic camera and single battery. Not even a 4g micro SD card to get started with.

So off to shops to buy an SD card... Get home insert SD card, charged battery. Switch camera on and powers up, then scroll through menu and select SETUP, press enter..... nothing! Press enter again... nothing.

Open battery door check SD card in properly... try again .... NADA! Bloody camera doesn't work! :angry-screaming::angry-screaming:. Is there no F*****G QC in any of these companies?

Phone Sony, told I can't return it to a shop, I must package it, wait at least a week for the courier to collect it.... then wait at least 14 days for a refund/replacement!

Why can't I just take it to a local SONY shop and change it for one that works? or as the phone companies do, courier bring a replacement and take the broken one away? NOT POSSIBLE SIR, COMPUTER SAYS IT HAS TO BE DONE THIS WAY ! :violence-rapidfire:

:angry-cussingblack::angry-cussingblack::angry-cussingblack:

I think you should take this as a sign. You and video cameras are not a match made in heaven!

What a nightmare!

I'd say it's operator error personally... :whistle: :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry - couldn't resist! Just be glad that you're not flying rotary today - with your luck, the Jesus nut would fall off :shock:

Hope you get it sorted ... before you go on hols ...

Its a conspiracy, its all a conspiracy!!!

Back