Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

head gasket problem

smokyjoe

Ive just wipped the head of my old landcruiser to fit to the replacement i bought with the old head crack problem.
I ordered the headgasket kit and stated that its a 3 holer but i have been sent a 5 holer :shock: typical as i was going to fit it the night, what is the difference and would it be alright to fit this gasket instead.

Not quite sure what way round it is suppose to be,but...

on the 80 series there are three gaskets you can have. These are three thickness for the reason of how much the pistons stick out the top of the block. You really need the right one in my opion

karl

hi with reference to your head gasket thickness i rebuilt my top end in january and had the same problem but dont worry roughtrax explained it all to me .the gasket that they supply is the thickest one as this is the safest way did mine runs perfect.if you need to know anything else regarding head change just drop me a line :thumbup:

smokyjoe said:
I ordered the headgasket kit and stated that its a 3 holer but i have been sent a 5 holer :shock: typical as i was going to fit it the night, what is the difference and would it be alright to fit this gasket instead.

Holes means the thickness of the gasket. There is only 0.1 mm difference between 3 and 5 holes:
nyttkuva20110315kohtees.png

So, no matter which is it. There is very slight difference in the compression ratio, but it make no difference. I had 3 holes version installed in the factory, but I got 5 holes version when I changed the head (although asked 3 holes)

heres a pic of the two cracks in number 3 and 4 cylinder
21jyq7c.jpg

ive noticed that the cooling passages are blocked by the gasket is this normal. seems strange for mr toyota to make a head and engine block with 8 holes then restrict 5 of them of, surely not good for cooling.
and ive never seen such a blocked up intake manifold you wouldnt beleive its only donr 90k miles :shock:
2moxds0.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
but seriously by putting the thickest gasket on you eliminate any problems with clearance mine started almost imediately after top end rebuild just take your time and what about your radiator !!!!!!!!!!!

also regarding carbon build up in inlet manifold this is caused by the EGR system i blanked mine off at the exhaust manifold as i didnt want my nice new head getting all cloged up and to be honest it runs a lot smoother since and i have also increased mpg by about 3/4 mpg.and the head cooling is designed that way fit the gasket as it comes ive heard a few horror stories with people thinking by opening up the gasket it will cool better it doesnt work like that you will find most heads and blocks are the same and the gasket looks like it blocking the water channels it isnt that just how they are designed

Cabman said:
but seriously by putting the thickest gasket on you eliminate any problems with clearance mine started almost imediately after top end rebuild just take your time and what about your radiator !!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to swap the whole engine over but decided on just the head, my old colly ran like a swiss clock until its swimming lessons killed it :D
I plan to swap over the rad aswell as mine had no problems with cooling atall.

also regarding carbon build up in inlet manifold this is caused by the EGR system i blanked mine off at the exhaust manifold as i didnt want my nice new head getting all cloged up and to be honest it runs a lot smoother since and i have also increased mpg by about 3/4 mpg

ive never seen one quite so bad and as my head and inlet is as clean as a brand new one (even with 160k on it) then i shall blank the egr of aswell by useing the gasket i made for my one :thumbup:

:thumbup:sorry if it seems like im trying to teech granny im not its just that owning a landcruiser is different to other vehicles it eventually turns into a passion. and if it hadnt been for me spending hours reading the forums id have been lost

Cabman said:
errrrr didnt i just say that
Yep, but there was no replies when I started to composing my own. Took few minutes to found that picture and upload it.

smokyjoe said:
ive noticed that the cooling passages are blocked by the gasket is this normal. seems strange for mr toyota to make a head and engine block with 8 holes then restrict 5 of them of, surely not good for cooling.
It´s normal. Mr. Toyota is calculated the water flow as good as it can be, more holes could cause unstable flow. I wondered it too, but thought that Mr T. is wiser than me. :D

Back