Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Head lamp upgrade

Coops

Country Flag
great_britain
How many of you have upgraded your headlight bulbs? If so what have you used / tried / been impressed with?

Done nowt but read threads on here. Many other things to sort first but will watch this thread.
Good luck.
Geoff

Just changed from Woodypeck LEDs to Phillips. Twice the price, around the same brightness, going to get them setup by my MOT garage to see if they can be made to throw further as the WP ones had to be aligned way down compared to standard halogens. I'm hoping they can be lifted up again. Why did I change, I hear you cry? I was having real trouble seeing in the pitch dark and found that part of the LED chip had stopped working on the WP ones. One immediate benefit of the Phillips ones is they are EMC compliant, which means no radio interference unlike the WP ones. The colour at 6500 K is very close to daylight and crisp. There is a slight pattern to the beam but nothing to even think about. Approvals still remain elusive so I'll only be using mine off road. :)

I was about to get a set of the Woodypeck ones, I presume the Phillips you mention are LED's too? do you have the part number for them or a link Rich?
Interesting that you had radio interference with them, my OEM headlights had WP's in them and I never got interference but couple of HID spots I had would interfere with my CB radio.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cant say I blame you Chas. Steve at Woodypeck was very good on service and replaced some I had that were interfering with the radio. These were very good but still interfered with the radio a bit and haven't lasted like I would have hoped. The Woodypeck ones have probably advanced considerably since I put mine in and are likely to be fan-less now like the Phillips.

Bit of an update on this. I had my new Philips LEDs looked at for alignment today and the result is that my MOT tester had a lot of twiddling to do, raising the beam significantly.

Now, I must say I have replaced my springs since fitting the WP ones so that probably contributed to the shortness of beam on those but it had gone through an MOT in between times so I’m not sure on that one. However, he did say the beam pattern was excellent on the new Phillips ones and was a bit scattered on the WP ones. He said these new ones were the best he’d seen for LEDs.

Happy days! Can’t wait to try them out now. :)

I've had 55w HID's for the last 6/7 years now and they've been great and high beam really does light up the road ahead. I'm impressed with how long they've lasted too.

On a side note, I don't know if you have pre-2000 headlamps or post. The fluted lense are only so good. Post 2000 with the plastic front has a lot better light output (so I've heard)

I've had 55w HID's for the last 6/7 years now and they've been great and high beam really does light up the road ahead. I'm impressed with how long they've lasted too.

On a side note, I don't know if you have pre-2000 headlamps or post. The fluted lense are only so good. Post 2000 with the plastic front has a lot better light output (so I've heard)
There’s restrictions on HIDs here Beau, they aren’t supposed to be used in lights not designed specifically for them with either self levelling capability or self levelling suspension on the truck.

I've had them pass many MOT's without a problem. But maybe laws have changed since. Our colorado's do have a pitch adjustment inside so when towing you can re-adjust them back down so they don't blind oncoming traffic.

My HID's are also designed for fluted lens and have a cover over part of the filament to keep the the light shining towards the reflectors vs beaming everywhere.

The retro fitting of HID bulbs into older vehicles has been a bit of a grey area come MOT time but things are set to change in May (UK) when it will be
a fail wether the beam aim is good or not, along with numerous other changes. There’s a thread on here about it somewhere.

Certainly a grey area. I also believe you need to have headlight washers to run HID's these days too. Maybe it was luck but the MOT guys always tested the lights and they aligned well and passed. Furthermore, I kept things relatively discreet so you'd have to know what you're looking for or have a keen eye to spot the additional HID wires/ballast.

I believe the rules were there but there was nothing in the MOT to cause a failure if the rules were broken. As TP says, that’s about to change but fortunately there’s nothing about LEDs.

Couple of photos to give some idea of beam on the Phillips LEDs

The first is early this morning just as it was getting light. The cones to the left were all lit by my headlights.

D49CE406-F4FE-4E1B-A40C-0EF5AAC31E74.jpeg

The second is in a local village which is totally dark.

BD26FC12-CE89-45D8-8EA1-7F569886D72E.jpeg

They look good mate. I've got some nighteye led bulbs on the way, will see how they are and go from there.

Back