Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlamp "upgrade" to Angel Eye units

x2, sick to death of my crap lights now, am i missing something about the projector version? what is it?

My understanding CG, and I'm ready to be corrected, the projectors have a narrow beam origin, at the light unit. The beam then spreads to the desired beam pattern.

The non-projector beam starts bigger, as most older light units have always been, with a big reflector at source.

With HIDs, the projector gives you a beam more quickly, because it is in fact a magnifier.

Projectors are the more modern approach to most current vehicles, or at least it seems the way it's going.

Any more educated comments will be welcomed :thumbup:

Come on grant its dark now, lets have a look..

Thanks clive, got it.:thumbup:

Ok ... so all installed. I had to go for a 20 minute drive until I found somewhere without street lights. No flashes from oncoming drivers on south london a roads and back streets.

Nice even cut with controlled beam. This is just with the original head lights.

IMG_2332.JPG

Low beam with headlight height adjustment down.

IMG_2328.JPG

With it up.

IMG_2331.JPG

Finally with high beam. You can see the yellow light from the inner high beams that still have halogen bulbs.

IMG_2329.JPG

It had been quite a while since I have had the bulbs out and I was very surprised at the condition of the terminals (not looking so great) and just how thin those wires are!

Over all very happy and a very significant improvement.

Missed this one ...

Packaged nicely and over all feel very good quality.

IMG_2326.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
+1 on the above :thumbup:

Not that I have very good photos to demonstrate, but although your beam is nicely defined, my HID beam has a crisp sharp edge along the top compared with your slightly fuzzy line.

Just Dipped beam: (you can see the clean line of the beam on the gate to the right);
IMG_5337a.jpg

Full on Main +Light bars
IMG_5338.JPG

All things being equal, I'd say you have a good result there Grant :dance:

Last edited:
I will still be getting the projector lenses to get the nicely defined cutoff that comes with them. The above photos are a rare case of the photo being better than reality. They make the cut off a lot more distinct than it is in reality. Certainly when I was parked on that road the cut off was nowhere near that defined. I had factory HID lights in the past and I've missed them for their brightness and accurate beams. It looks like I have the brightness ... now I just have to get the accuracy that only projector headlights can bring :)

I will still be getting the projector lenses to get the nicely defined cutoff that comes with them. The above photos are a rare case of the photo being better than reality. They make the cut off a lot more distinct than it is in reality. Certainly when I was parked on that road the cut off was nowhere near that defined. I had factory HID lights in the past and I've missed them for their brightness and accurate beams. It looks like I have the brightness ... now I just have to get the accuracy that only projector headlights can bring :)

Yes, back to the starting point of my thread on this.

Conclusions:

HIDs in standard OEM units = disaster
LEDs in standard OEM units = no personal experience but from reports, a marked improvement
HIDs in projectors = excellent brightness and good beam definition. BUT suffers the eternal warm-up time problem
LEDs in projectors = again no personal experience but from reports, probably the best combination.

I've invested heavily in HIDs and also shares in relay manufacturing as a means to get them to work the way I want. Complicated, but doable.

I'm very pleased with what I've ended up with.:dance:

Headlamp "upgrade" to Angel Eye units

So installed mine today!!! Well kind off
View attachment 24668
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456606393.079153.jpg
So being a JAP important the wiring is a lot different, the side lights use a different connector not a T10 wedge, but a 3 wire connector to a standard looking bulb.
So at the moment no side lights or halo's.
Also one of the housing holes had been snapped off!! Must ask for some money back!!

Does anybody have a wiring schematic for the FZJ80 84 import??
Also had the LED bulbs in the OEM units and these did both dip and main, now it is across two bulbs and it doesn't look like the LED units will fit!!
So not sure a success..

Yep must get rid of the damage multipler, when the funds are available, anybody have a spare 80 series bumper laying around???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got an Off Road Armoury winch bumper, and a 10,000 lb fully serviced Superwinch Husky, brand new Dyneema rope and a Lodar radio remote and HD relay that I'm not so sure if I'll be fitting now.

So got the side lights and the halos working today, cut the wedge of the supplied the connector put some spade connectors on it and plugged them into the 2nd light connector, remember this is for an import!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There seems to be a lot of interest in upgrades, whether complete replacement units, or bulb swaps in the OEM units.

Just as a reminder, here’s the beam from the angel-eye units fitted with HIDs... on our track ...
Dipped lights...

436B7AB5-6E46-41E4-8086-9C1E1267F3C0.jpeg

And full on, with mains and the 2 light bars

1AC3D55A-577D-4B2F-8BEF-2255242C8ABD.jpeg

It was pitch dark without lights on, so the nice dipped light projector cut-off is visible, even when the mains come on...

Well recommended....

I've just had notice that my Angel Eyes have arrived in the UK and are now with customs, waiting now to see how much HMG wants in blood money.

Back