Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlamp "upgrade" to Angel Eye units

The one I took out was an Osram Bilux 55/60W halogen. I cannot remember the last time I changed one. The truck has been sitting a while now so battery voltage may be down a little. I was surprised to see just how orange the original was compared with the new. As you say, on the road will tell much better.

Halogen filament bulbs are typically around 3000k compared to the 5000k LED's which gives the yellow appearance of the halogens. 4500 to 5500k give the whitest visible light, higher than that you start getting the characteristic blue tint and useable white light starts to fall off. What I really like about the LED's versus other types is the instant on-off light they give.

Yes, they light up and cut off instantly. I expected the colour change but wasn't expecting the halogens to look so yellow after driving with them for ever. The other factor is that there are some other LED external lights on the house which might just make the halogens look even more obviously yellow.

Last edited:
I fully accept the "undesirable" aspect of delay with HIDs, and of course can't comment on LEDs because I've not seen them yet. The angel conversion in my case was more to get a better beam pattern, which has been a success.

That's quite a difference with the led bulb. Tbh i use 100w bulbs and they're still not great, be interesting to hear how the led ones perform in a standard lamp.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423865140.400910.jpg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:lol: :lol:

Meant the more the :whistle: road naughty ones! OK off road on dark lanes (do have spot lights on though) but still not great on the road! Don't get on coming traffic flashing the lights at me so can't be that bright!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Electricians humour. [emoji6]

I'm really looking forward to seeing just what the LEDs are like on a dark stretch of road. Had a few near misses a year ago last Christmas Eve on a call out to help people in danger of flooding in Tonbridge when the river came up into the high street. With trees blown down and water across stretches of road it was a hairy trip for sure. My headlamps are standard with only the outer bulbs giving high beam and the inner lamps being fog lights.

I'm quietly confident they will be really good.

One word of caution, it's really easy when installing the actual lamp into the H4 mounting ring, to turn the bulb past the notch where it is supposed to come to rest. I think I will reinstall with a mark indicating correct alignment in case I've overdone it.

The rubber cap fits over the mounting ring really well before fitting the lamp proper through it and turning to secure.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. Steve also phoned me about the delay and to say they had been despatched and gave me the update about the new stock being brighter.

A neighbour just knocked this morning with a small package that had been delivered yesterday, my LED's have arrived :dance: and as starcruiser says they now have the control gear built in so no separate control box to mount elsewhere. :thumbup:
Strange about yesterdays delivery as the Post Office tracking number says they are still being processed through their system. :confusion-confused:

LED bulbs have been fitted :dance: not quite as bright as the HID's but instant light, the beam is much better, no stray light pattern and I still have HID's on the outer main beam so once warmed up I have terrific light, with a 20" LED light bar to go on the winch bumper I can burn the paint off the back of RR's :icon-twisted:

Yes Warren still original housings.

hmmmm very tempted, how much better are they than the stock bulbs? 100% brighter or not quite?

hmmmm very tempted, how much better are they than the stock bulbs? 100% brighter or not quite?

It's such a long time since I had stock bulbs I really couldn't say for sure, but from vague memory I would say brighter and whiter.

OK whats the best way to get a hold of Steve to have a chat about my requirements?

Last edited:
Well done Chas, glad you're pleased. BTW, are they "twin filament" so to speak, meaning do you have dip and main LEDs in the outer units with the HIDs in the inner?

With converting to H1s, I've lost the opportunity to have 2 beams in the outer units, meaning when I switch to main beam, the dipped go out.

That's why I need to get some relays fitted to maintain power to the dipped, relayed from the mains, when they're on.

Without that, and because they're all HIDs, it's a real problem switching from dip to main, as the warm up time on the mains means driving blind for about 30 seconds:|

Ill soon get them wired up though, TBH the HID dip is so good with the projector lenses, I really don't "need" mains.

On mine it's the inners that are dip/mains and the outers are main only. Each LED unit has two 'sides' with one large LED on one side and three smaller ones on the other, I think the three are dip and the single mains. Dip alone is not as bright as the HID's were but certainly good enough with a better beam spread, when I go to mains they are very good and once the outer HID's have warmed up the light is terrific. I have two HID spots as well, one of which is not working though they are going to be changed for a 20" LED light bar soon.

On mine it's the inners that are dip/mains and the outers are main only. Each LED unit has two 'sides' with one large LED on one side and three smaller ones on the other, I think the three are dip and the single mains. Dip alone is not as bright as the HID's were but certainly good enough with a better beam spread, when I go to mains they are very good and once the outer HID's have warmed up the light is terrific. I have two HID spots as well, one of which is not working though they are going to be changed for a 20" LED light bar soon.

Sounds good Chas, once mine is set up with the relays, I think the result will be similar to yours. :thumbup:

Back