Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

heater control unit illumination

tempur

Bit of a puzzle here: the left side of the heater A/C control unit went dark a few months ago and I went about to replace the two hidden bulbs with two (blue) new ones (the ones that came out are clear with a green removable cap).

Everything works but the unit looks like a Christmas tree: the switches for A/C and demister lit green, the centre and right rotary switches are lit blue but the left one is lit yellow. Have I missed a bulb or why is the left one illuminated in a different colour?

Has anyone ever replaced the bulbs with more success?

Thanks for all help,
Tempur

I'd wager that the left hand lamp is not working! You need to push the lamps in far further than you think and it may be that if you gently tap the unit the lamp will make connection again for a moment and prove the fault :)

Thanks for the reply but I don't think the issue is a bulb that's not working. What's puzzling me is that the light coming from behind the left control is clearly whitish-yellow whereas the light behind the centre and right control is blue (shouldn't be blue, I know, but somewhere I read that blue is the colour to go for when replacing the bulbs; will replace the bulbs again with clear ones and use the green condom to get the right colour).

So the only bulbs illuminating the three rotary controls are the two bulbs located behind the cover plate? The rotary controls don't have their own additional light bulb?

I'm 90% certain that the left hand bulb is not pushed in enough and is either not working or intermittent at best, but I have been know to be wrong on the odd occasion :) ;)

There are only the two lamps that you have already identified behind the heater control knobs :)

IMG_9346_zps667b7c9f.jpg

There are also two that illuminate the clock :)

One for the cigarette lighter :)

And One for the ashtray :)

IMG_9347_zps2b340d0a.jpg

Here are five of the six lamps that I speak of :)

IMG_9348_zpsf1e755e5.jpg

The above mentioned lamps can all be bought from you local Motor-factors for not a lot of money :)

IMG_9345_zpsdaa87e34.jpg

There are also two of the smallest lamps that you have ever seen in each of the A/C push button and the Rear-Demist push button :icon-exclaim: These are OE only and are about £3 to £4 each :shock: :icon-exclaim:

IMG_9228_zpsd17e451d.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not being very honest here :shifty:

I had exactly the same fault as yourself after replacing all of the dash illumination lamps in Swampy :oops:

If you look at this photo you can see that the left hand lamp is not pushed in as far as the right hand lamp and although as you can see it's working prior to fitting it all back together. After fitting it all back together it stopped working and that's all it was, the lamp just needed clicking firmly into its socket :)

IMG_9346_zps667b7c9f.jpg

IMG_9347_zps2b340d0a.jpg

Worth all of the effort though :icon-cool:

IMG_9697_zpsb84a8488.jpg

IMG_9701_zps4424bd6a.jpg

IMG_9700_zps98dc482c.jpg

IMG_9702_zpse5c233f7.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Realized I never checked back on this post since your kind reply. Everything's sorted now! Many thanks for the helpful pics!

Was it the lamps not pushed fully in to the holder then?

Back