Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hedgehog - 1st leg of round the world: Iceland to Greece

Hey Steve,

If you are still in Greece and you need any help or advice you can contact me.
I suppose you have seen that everything is okay in Greece without any problems or anarchy of any kind...
Don't believe 100% of the media. Please filter the information you get.

I have various offroading tracks which could be sent to you in gpx or kml files.

We will be in Athens tomorrow and saturday - leaving Sunday morning. Should we expect voting day to be quiet or will there be any form of trouble expected?

We will be in Athens tomorrow and saturday - leaving Sunday morning. Should we expect voting day to be quiet or will there be any form of trouble expected?
I didnt see your post earlier...
As you saw, there were no problems at all...
The election day is a celebration of democracy my friend...

Here is the promised trip report - plenty of photos to follow....
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trip Report
Miles covered = 10,000 over 12 weeks. 2 weeks solid off-road in Iceland with 1400 miles of mixed washboard, black sand, lava rocks, many river crossings, remainder of 8600 mostly Tarmac. Tarmac section 50% motorway and 50% mainly A/B road. High number of mountain passes and switchbacks
MPG 22.5 average on Motorway @ 70MPH, 18-20MPG elsewhere (lot of climbs and switchbacks). Weight at full overland weight of 3400kg. Tyre pressures 2.5 Bar Rear, 2.1 Bar Front. Full length roof rack, roof tent and spare tyre on roof, front bull bars. 285/75 BFG ATs.

Fluids used = none. Oil level hardly changed (slightly over-filled)

Problems encountered: cracked windscreen from flying stone in Iceland. Abrasion to several surfaces caused by pumice dust in Iceland. Areas such as door seals, door spacing pads etc. NSF indicator lens has significant dust ingress and is discoloured – OSF OK. NSF lens weld has small crack and will need replacing. OSF wiper blade has a tear – spare available but not fitted due to cracked windscreen. One wheel nut needed a bit of torque in Iceland. High pressure side of water filtration system needed an extra turn on a Jubilee clip. Handbrake needs adjustment but shoes not worn. Drums had plenty of dust in them. Occasional ‘pings’ from anti-roll bars on hairpin/cross axles - rear ARB link bushes may be under-sized - investigating

Maintenance performed: cleaned out air-filter after 10 days in Iceland but hardly needed to. Snorkel opening was pointing backwards whole way. Greased rear prop nipples. Front prop obscured by bash-plates – holes to be cut in plates to allow access in future. Checked front diff oil level after 4 weeks as suspected weep from OSF drive oil seal. No diff oil lost and no oil lost over remaining 2 months and 6000 miles. Rechecked at 8000 miles before return leg, all OK. Source remains a mystery.

Things we wished we had brought: the side walls that go under our roof tent (still in the shed) – Iceland was cold and wet at times and we could have done with the extra protection. Our free standing awning didn’t provide enough protection; mains charger for laptop to allow extended use away from the truck; better protection from mosquitoes – not only sprays, but citronella and netting too; a fan for the RTT on very hot/sultry nights.

Things we didn’t use: we used pretty much everything we took except for the shower, neither spare tyre and winch. Didn’t use the 3/Three 1GB SIM data cards for my spare phone to act as an internet port. Good wi-fi almost everywhere.

Things that we were glad we had: our ACSI campsite finder app for iPhone, good Sat-Nav

Our approach was to use the inside of the vehicle as emergency sleeping – we did this 4 times when the weather was hideous in Iceland and when we camped waiting for the ferry to arrive there (for speed/lack of available space to open the RTT). Whilst a bit cramped this worked well. We mostly used the RTT the rest of the time hoteling only in Athens, once in northern Greece and again 5 times on the 5 day return leg (cold/wet/long drive & lazy)

The Long Ranger tank was used extensively to take advantage of cheap fuel and allow us to avoid stopping. E.G. we went from Greece/Bulgaria border to Austria without filling up.

Our supply of 5L of Coleman fuel was all but used up, will better plan this next time as we could not find anywhere that sold it…..need to plan ahead on that one. Unleaded fuel remained an option.
Water usage = 150 litres = three fills

25 Borders crossed and 18 countries visited

Improvements to make: very few and mostly minor. More nets and pockets to hold things in the cabin and for bigger/less used items in the ‘kitchen’ area; Coleman cooker to be used on a fold-down shelf attached to the rear wheel carrier – keep the tailgate area more open and allow drawers to be used without moving (a lit) cooker; extra 12v facilities such as a longer flying lead for the solar panel so that you can chase the sun around better when in a shaded pitch, solar power connection point to rear of vehicle (permanent 12V); more use of LED bulbs; addition of good quality daylight driving lamps (to avoid extended use of halogen headlights in countries that insist); more USB charge points near drawers to allow secure charging of phones etc

Our strategy of being totally self sufficient for 12v power worked (just). However, the leisure battery I think is showing its age (in built battery indicator never gets to full) and took a hammering with morning voltage often at the ‘alarm’ level of 11.2v on the IBS. For long stays where we did not use the truck to visit then we had to supplement solar power with a 30 minute alternator charge with the truck on tick-over (3 times in total). I used the mains hook-up once too (to run a 5A battery charger to charge the batteries). The off-vehicle solar panel idea worked well but I think 80W capacity is right at the lower end of what our set-up needs – will contemplate how to double this up. I could do a bit more to reduce power draw when we’re in camp – e.g. lower wattage bulbs, on/off switch for USB ports etc.
~~~~~~~

Photos to follow

Attachments

• DSCN9732edited low res.jpg
    DSCN9732edited low res.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCN9686edited low res.jpg
    DSCN9686edited low res.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 136
  • P1060095edited low res.jpg
    P1060095edited low res.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 060edited low res.jpg
    060edited low res.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN9283edited low res.jpg
    DSCN9283edited low res.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 131
Next Iceland batch

P1060312edited low res.jpg

P1060341edited low res.jpg
Miles of pumice and ash, rocks and boulders
DSCN0354edited low res.jpg
Many river crossings - only averagely deep and not too taxing
DSCN0484edited low res.jpg
NSR wheel removed - I guess those fat tyres, rough terrain and chocolate running gear took their toll
DSCN0570 low res.jpg

A few more....

DSCN0637 (2)edited low res.jpg

P1060447deited low res.jpg
Gulfoss
DSCN1045edited low res.jpg

_MG_4183edited low res.jpg
Rarely do you get to go behind a waterfall
P1060540edited low res.jpg
around the southern side

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Final Iceland batch.....will post the rest of Europe/Greece in the next few days

P1060565edited low res.jpg
getting drenched
_MG_4293 panarama low res.jpg
crashed DC3....good spot to land as all walked away
P1060758edited low res.jpg
distant dust storm common in the south/east of Iceland
P1060759edited low res.jpg

_MG_4470edited low res.jpg
icebergs calved from nearby glacier

Brilliant Steve, wonderful photos, wonderful place.

Thanks for the effort of posting, it's brightened my day since just getting home from the office (and we're 2 hours ahead of the post time showing on here!).

Not envious at all... :eusa-liar:

Last edited:
Nice thanks for posting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So a few more photos but from the warmer climes of Croatia and Greece. Both stunningly beautiful places that we shall be returning to

P1060976edited low res.jpg

P1070045edited low res.jpg

IMG_2298edited low res.jpg

_MG_4507edited low res.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2320edited low res.jpg
    IMG_2320edited low res.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 119
Great write-up and pictures. We're planning 4 months in South Eastern Europe next year to so will be good to hear your experiences of the area.

I've just been through all these photos again, and the latest batch.

Quite stunning photos Steve, if that's any praise coming from someone who only presses the button on the green setting... I take it its your business?

Great write-up and pictures. We're planning 4 months in South Eastern Europe next year to so will be good to hear your experiences of the area.

I'll post some thoughts here in the next week or so.....essentially a stunning part of the world

Quite stunning photos Steve, if that's any praise coming from someone who only presses the button on the green setting... I take it its your business?

No just a keen amateur but over the years have had B&W darkroom, Colour darkroom and now of course digital.....I find photography a fascinating blend of science/tech with creative arts.....and it fits well with the other things I like doing too. Thanks for the positive comments

I generally reserve the 'arty' stuff for another day, but attached is the sort of stuff that I end up with if I spend too many hours in the lightroom. This one of Reykjavik Cathedral.

Thank you for the kind words

View attachment _MG_4174edited bw low res.jpg

Now that looks amazing thanks for sharing such a lovely looking trip.

Bet you enjoyed the warmer weather in Greece after Iceland
We find the ACSI APP superb too, often pull up near end of the day and load up the app to find a nearby campsite for the night. The reviews and photos on it are useful too, as are the facilities guide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back