Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hedgehog - 3rd leg of round the world - Southern Africa

Carnet de Passage ordered. Container booked to Walvis Bay to arrive mid-April. Quotes received from receiving customs agents.....starting to become real now. Packing truck in readiness to go to Tilbury for loading in a month's time

At long last she is coming home...

Enjoy and look forward to catching up

I think the hedgehog is pining a little to see you too. Strange to think that that truck only had 34000 miles on it in the first 12 years of its life, and we've put on another 50000 in the last 3 since buying it off you. If all goes well we'll be passing your area in mid-Sept and again at end of November. Will bring the beers, the steaks and 15w40. :) Looking forward to catching up

Preparing now for our next adventure - this time we're taking the 100 to Southern Africa. Waiting to book the container to Walvis Bay, Namibia to arrive there around mid April. Next steps will be to sort out the Carnet de Passage and of course our flights. We should finish in Durban in late November. Outline map below

View attachment 112771
If possible try the passage of the Bavianen Kloof. Unesco site. Definitely 4x4 and lots of low gear. Beautiful! Halfway sleep and eat with the visionair and hard working owners of the Zandvlakte farm. Extraordinary experience. Another beautiful passage is the Sani-pass to enter Lesotho from SA. The owner of the hotel at the top
Is a real bushcamping LC enthousiast!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If possible try the passage of the Bavianen Kloof. Unesco site. Definitely 4x4 and lots of low gear. Beautiful! Halfway sleep and eat with the visionair and hard working owners of the Zandvlakte farm. Extraordinary experience. Another beautiful passage is the Sani-pass to enter Lesotho from SA. The owner of the hotel at the top

Sani pass is on the list - and I will take a look at the other route to see how we can fit it in. Thanks for the tip

Sani pass is on the list - and I will take a look at the other route to see how we can fit it in. Thanks for the tip
It will be lush down there, as they all had good rains the last few weeks.

Container all booked up....boat is already 2 days late I think due to a cyclone off of Mozambique, but late shipping schedule is I think par for the course. Our container into North America was a week later than planned due to lots of little delays at each visited port. Receiving agents now booked. All the little jobs on the truck complete. Just got to pack our clothes bags and drive it to Tilbury in a couple of weeks

Bavianskloof now on our list as we're going right past the door - thanks for the tip

@Reisverhartel - is the shelf road section 2 way? Or is the direction only one way and if so which?
It is two way, but there are certainly sections where it is nearly impossible and thus dangerous to pass each other. So it was advised reaching the top of the rather high hills to survey the road to watch for climbing cars and then wait.
For us it was our first real 4X4 experience, low gear, high clearance, small river passages etc. Fantastic! Loads of monkeys and birds. No big five. At both the entrances is a gate, entrance fee not high, I don't remember it.
There is somewhere a camping, but we slept at the farm Zandvlakte. Highly recommended. Call them before for the food. Bring your own wine and beer. They don't serve it. This elderly couple is adorable and they are visionary farmers developing new strategies for the watermanagement of this area. He'll show you and can talk passionately about geology, biology, agronomie and life. A treasure, these people:
http://baviaanskloof.com/accommodation/
I you pass by Willowmore : http://www.willowguesthouse.co.za a very nice stay and superb dinner will wait you.

O Steve, if ever you intend to pass by Franschhoek: don't forget to reserve well in advance for a dinner at The Foliages. Much has been written about the quality of the food, pro's and con's. Our experience: delicious star-rating food for a very reasonable price. Bearded hipster-like guys in shorts, real culinary artists though.

Contents verified against spreadsheet - check
Car cleaned - check
All minor jobs completed - check
Winterban 100 removed and water tank Miltoned - check
Auxiliary batteries disconnected - check
Fuel tank near empty and warning light lit - check
Car in container in Tilbury waiting for ship to dock - check!
Next stop Walvis Bay

Now that we have done this a few times we know that we can ease back a bit from here until we get onto the plane in 6 weeks time. Definitely worth starting the prep early so that you don't end up charging around in the last few days

Carnet de Passages also received - hopefully this should streamline border crossings.....7 countries, three of which we enter twice

Receiving agents engaged, first few days hotels booked, flights booked.....Phew. Just want to get there now

Good luck. I hope you have a great trip.

Byron

All slipping into place nicely, enjoy next stage of adventures

Contents verified against spreadsheet - check
Car cleaned - check
All minor jobs completed - check
Winterban 100 removed and water tank Miltoned - check
Auxiliary batteries disconnected - check
Fuel tank near empty and warning light lit - check
Car in container in Tilbury waiting for ship to dock - check!
Next stop Walvis Bay

Now that we have done this a few times we know that we can ease back a bit from here until we get onto the plane in 6 weeks time. Definitely worth starting the prep early so that you don't end up charging around in the last few days

Carnet de Passages also received - hopefully this should streamline border crossings.....7 countries, three of which we enter twice

Receiving agents engaged, first few days hotels booked, flights booked.....Phew. Just want to get there now
Have a great trip. Don't forget to make reservations at the Foliages in Franschhoek. For lunch or for dinner, both are excellent.

Have a great trip! Don't forget to make reservations at the Foliages in Franschhoek.

Car now in Antwerp on board our container ship and about to start the long journey south.....just a waiting game now until we get to Namibia in 4 weeks time to meet it....nothing more to do now except to kick back and relax a little. As Hannibal Smith would have said "I love it when a plan comes together".....I guess time will tell

Well, we're in Namibia in Windhoek, the car is out of customs in Walvis Bay (and hopefully in secure storage), couple of hours drive over the mountains to get to the truck tomorrow and we drive it away on Monday once we buy the equivalent of Road Tax. No real photos to speak of yet as we've just spent the last day pottering around the capital and catching up on ZZZZs. Watch this space.

Back