Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello all im new to the family

If you don't off-road, then you're not carrying recovery gear, so likely the only weight you're carrying is your fishing rods, plus a regular toolkit and jack.

At the back, I've got 60kg of steel rear bumper, 30-40 kg of spare wheel, 20kg of tools and about 40kg of recovery gear, and that's before any passengers get in.

Who recommended the springing for your truck Giray, or was it fitted when you bought it?
A friend of mine is into off roading he goes racing and has a garage. I wanted to beef up the tlc because it was fully standard he said if we lift it up just a little bit and put different wheels and tires that would just be enough for me as i dont go ragging the hell out of it (i dont like it to get dirty) my dad got the car brand new so the tlc had been in the family ever since and the only extras it has is the wheels tires shocks suspensions and clear indicators nothing else has been done to it.

I asked because a lift is one thing (simply longer sorings) but OM Emu has a whole range of different spring ratings as well as lengths.

When the OME rep recommended my set-up, he spent 2 hours with me asking what the likely additions to the truck would be, weight-wise and which corner would get what.

I was surprised, but he went into great detail about whether I intended a long-range fuel tank or an auxiliary, because there's often a sideways weight distribution shift. He talked about on-board water-storage counter balancing auxiliary fuel tanks, where the fridge slide would be mounted, recovery gear storage and so on.

I made his life easy really, because I don't do overlanding, all I wanted was a substantial steel front bar with a winch, steel rear bumper with swing-out wheel carrier, and a steel full length roof rack.

It felt as stiff as a board when the new suspension was fitted, before the extra steel was added, but as soon as the extras went on, it was (IMO) perfectly set up.

And it's been perfect (for me) ever since. :icon-biggrin:

Its a good point Clive - my Sprinter 4x4 is an absolute pig when its unloaded. Get it fully laden for 2 or 3 weeks travel and its a completely different animal - rides nicely, corners better, etc. Its all down to what the spring ratings are meant for.

Re the 80 series - mine has minimal additions - so the dogs dinner EMU set up was never "tuned", whereas the Pedders kit was good from day one.

Last edited:
If im not wrong its a 2inch lift plus bigger wheels but i will pop down and ask again now that its in my mind. I think my wheels are getting old and hard could that be a reason for it to slide?

If im not wrong its a 2inch lift plus bigger wheels but i will pop down and ask again now that its in my mind. I think my wheels are getting old and hard could that be a reason for it to slide?

Tyres do have a shelf life, most manufacturers recommend 5 years I think.

But I've run on tyres much older with no problems, and "hardening" of the rubber has not been evident.

Usually, age symptoms are cracks forming on the sidewalls, mostly down due to UV exposure, which is obviously more prominent in some countries than others, such as Cyprus.

All JMHO of course, it's best to have them checked if you're in doubt.

Tyres do have a shelf life, most manufacturers recommend 5 years I think.

But I've run on tyres much older with no problems, and "hardening" of the rubber has not been evident.

Usually, age symptoms are cracks forming on the sidewalls, mostly down due to UV exposure, which is obviously more prominent in some countries than others, such as Cyprus.

All JMHO of course, it's best to have them checked if you're in doubt.
They dont have cracks but they are much harder from when i got them 5 years of cyprus hot weather is not easy lol

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back