Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HELLO ALL

kamalsrana

Garage
Country Flag
kenya
Hi, hope all is well, have been reading the posts regularly, but, had nothing to ask or say for a while.

Now I do.

I had my windscreen changed as stonechips were in line of sight, now I hear wind noise, which was not there before.

Is it something that will go away after a while or do the fitters need to come back to sort it. did this on the insurance, cost me excess of £110-00, I have not yet paid so maybe I can still get the chaps to come sort it out.

Anyone had similar experience?

Yup
That's pretty common.
Particularly when the fitter tries to get away without a new OEM fitting kit, and gets an aftermarket glass only. Can't change on a 100 without new profiles, as the old ones don't come off without warping.
Another problem after changing the windscreen is leaking. Often a small drip just on the Engine ECU, that goes bad after a year or two.

I seem to remember there being some threads about this on ih8mud.com so it might be worth a search on there.

Hello there.

Thanks for that, I have called the guys back, will be here on monday afternoon.

So, lets see.

I saw them remove the old screen and lay a rubber seal all around the windscreen area, then they put the new screen on and then changed the rubber seal at the top of the windscreen as the old one was out of shape.

They then riveted the side moulds etc and cleaned up. They nearly put screws in, which I refused, I said that they would rust through and should rivet as before. They did that after I WD40'd their rivet guns, they were jamming up. Freed up immediately.

So, it seems that the top rubber seal is too thick and thus hits turbulence causing the noise. I will post the result of this on Monday.

Cheers.

It wasn't autoglass by any chance was it?

I got my local autoglass depot to come out and do the windscreen on my hilux through the insurance. Big mistake!

Not only did he end up clarting my freshly valeted truck with cow poo that he had all over his boots. I mean not just the sills but the carpets and seats too. He left god knows how much black foam rubber from the old window seal all over the inside of the car and down inside the heater vents. The fitter also used my A-bar as a ladder and scratched the stainless quite badly. I have also no idea how he did it but theres a load of scratches on the wing that wern't there before. The windscreen now leaks and the seals are coming away as he never put enough bond on it. I contacted autoglass who sent him back out to clean the truck and reseal the windscreen. I also complained about the damage but because I had no detailed photos showing condition of the A-bar and wing prior to fitting I didn't have a leg to stand on. The fitter came back later that day and cleaned the truck and put some more sealer around the screen but did a shoddy job and 6 months on its still leaking and the seals are coming off again. :twisted:

I tried to persue the damage complaint but was advised against taking them to court by my solicitor who basically said I had no evidence to support my claim and they would be very experienced at wrangling out of such claims :thumbdown:

Never again will I let them near one of my cars. I will pay for a reputable company to do it next time out of my own pocket.

Windscreen

Mate I am sorry to hear that, now I am really worried.

Lets see what happens on Monday and I will post details.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
kamalsrana said:
Hi, hope all is well, have been reading the posts regularly, but, had nothing to ask or say for a while.

Now I do.

I had my windscreen changed as stonechips were in line of sight, now I hear wind noise, which was not there before.

Is it something that will go away after a while or do the fitters need to come back to sort it. did this on the insurance, cost me excess of £110-00, I have not yet paid so maybe I can still get the chaps to come sort it out.

Anyone had similar experience?

£110 excess, I would change your insurance company, My excess is £25

Mate what insurance Co are you using, do they do fleet insurance?

By the way the winscreen guys have not returned as they are using the weather as an excuse for the delays, they are called Hilton Windscreens.

Lets see if they turn up next week.

kamalsrana said:
Mate what insurance Co are you using, do they do fleet insurance?

By the way the winscreen guys have not returned as they are using the weather as an excuse for the delays, they are called Hilton Windscreens.

Lets see if they turn up next week.

Hello, the windscreen guys turned up yesterday, after I refused to pay the excess.

They said that the wind noise was coming from the side panels as they had not been riveted properly, so they have done so again. The noise is reduced now but still there somewhat.

They took more than a month to get back and now I cant remember what it really sounded like. But, its been pouring with rain and no leaks etc till now. So I am guessing it will hold up.

Back