Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello and LPG question

NEDude

Hello all,

I am new here, and I am looking forward to joining the LC club soon - I have decided for a facelift 03/04 (5-sp, airbags, etc).

I have a question for the LPG users here. As I will leave the car outside, is the cold weather going to cause any problems to LPG vehicles?

Thanks,
NEDude

PS
I haven't made up my mind on petrol vs diesel. If you happen to have one for sale do let me know :icon-wink:

Last edited:
I don't have a 100 but I have a 90 series which has been LPG converted about 5 years ago and I have never had a problem in Winter. The time it takes to switch over from petrol (initial startup) to LPG (once engine reaches a certain temp) will be longer due to lower ambient temperature. Once it has switched over it runs "normally" on LPG.

LPG is very common in countries that have much colder winters than ours and they never seem to have issues. IMHO is it a non-issue.

Last edited:
I have 2 80s LPG, and a Nissan Murano LPG never had a cold start issue.

Thanks for your replies! BTW, most V8s on ebay and autotrader are converted already, though they look a bit overpriced to me...

NEDude

Loads of cars run on LPG here and the winters can go down to -30C no problem.

Diesels of course do start to gel-up when it's very cold, but a bit of paraffin in the tank now and again works wonders!

Thanks for your replies! BTW, most V8s on ebay and autotrader are converted already, though they look a bit overpriced to me...

NEDude
Generally speaking the converted cars are usually £1,000.00 more than a car which is not converted. It is not always the best way to go as you could be buying someone else troublesome conversion. Having had my fair share of converted LPG cars. Only one was already on LPG when I brought it. That one was not any trouble as it was a factory conversion.
My last 100 was the best yet and I had that one converted. My first 100 was a better car, but the conversion I had done was nothing but trouble, had it changed after two years to a marginally better conversion with issues.
Favourite one as a Land Rover 90 with a 3.9 V8 and auto box and drive train from a Range rover Classic, big bore exhaust and the most lovely V8 burble, miles of smiles to the gallon!
If you do buy a converted car makes sure you have a long enough test drive to try all driving conditions, ie Motorway, town stop start, country roads. To make sure it works well in all possible ways.
I am completely sold on running LPG cars, if only my accountant would see what I mean when i run one, but as he does not I am back in a Diesel van at present to keep him happy.
I also have not had any issues with running in the winter, so cannot see any reason to not buy one.
Hope this helps? And good luck.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Loads of cars run on LPG here and the winters can go down to -30C no problem.

Diesels of course do start to gel-up when it's very cold, but a bit of paraffin in the tank now and again works wonders!

Good to know, thanks. Thanks goodness it's not that cold over here :icon-biggrin:

Generally speaking the converted cars are usually £1,000.00 more than a car which is not converted [..]

Yeah, I was looking for a non-converted one. Then perhaps having a proper conversion, so that I'm sure what's being done. Thanks for your suggestions!

I have only had my 53 plate face lift V8 since 1/1/13. Had no issues when cold and you are right in the summer it switches over quicker. I am lucky that I have 2 LPG garages within 3 miles so no issues in filling up. Mine was already converted and is a multipoint system and has the certificate. It is the best car I have ever had and does about 12-13 mpg in London traffic when on gas and about 18mpg on a run. When I bought it with 109,000 miles it I paid £11500 for it. The conversion was done in Oxford 2 1/2 years ago and cost £2000.

Chugga sorry to hear that your accountant will not let you run one. My accountant has never questioned what I drive. Lets hope he sees the light and you can have another LPG 100

Paul c

I forgot to say mine also has a flash lube system fitted which I understand is a must for peace of mind.

Paul c

Paul, thanks for the info. I read about LPG burning at higher temp - what I should look for in a conversion kit?

Thanks,
NEDude

Back