Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello Everyone from Caron with Snow White a Landcruiser 80 Series & advice on a Dog Guard please.

Caron

Country Flag
great_britain
Hello.

It's been a very long while since I've posted on here and I definitely recognise some of your names and have fond memories of weekends away with the club - so hello to those of you who may remember me.

I still have Snow White - a beautiful white Landcruiser 80's and she is my daily drive. I have two made English Springer Spaniels called Loki & Thor and I live in Kent. I am looking for a bit of advice as to which dog guard will fit a series 80's along as well as a rubber mat for the back floor. Many thanks & have a wonderful weekend. Caron

Hi Caron, great to hear from you. It seems a long long time since we saw you when you collected Snow White. I often wondered if you still had it.
Glad you are well.

Caron, welcome back. Where have you been? Of course we remember Snow White after it's almost complete rebuild. You must have some tales to tell and pics to share. Hmm dog guards. The universal (Halfords type things) are rubbish. You really need a dedicated 80 series one. Few and far between. It's such a big boot that you end up with gaps all over the place and a fairly poor fit. If someone has an aftermarket one that DOES fit well, I am sure they'll share.

Welcome back, once again.

Wow, it has been a long time.
Welcome back Caron, we never met and I can’t help you with the dog-guard bit, but I do remember Snow White and all the work you did to restore her, what a lovely truck.
Happy for you that you still have her.

Whilst they don't show anything for the 80 on their website, it might be worth contacting Travall and ask if they had and might still have the pattern for the 80 series and would be prepared to run one up?
We have Travall guards in the 120 and a Forester, they fit properly well made and strong and can be removed in less than a minute, they also don't interfere with the back seat so if you needed to drop the seat to put some long planks in for example the dog guard could stay in place.

I have been looking for one for my 120, and have narrowed it down to Travall.
As per Juddian, I have found in my searches, the build quality, fixing and ease of use, great.
A hell of a lot cheaper than Toyota, - if you could get one !

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Like minds eh Tractionman.
Thinking more about Caron's situation, if the Travall people do have the pattern on record, they might not want to bother with a one off, understandable, but if Caron asked the 80 series community at large via as many forums as possible if they too were in this situation...i suspect many lC owners are doggie people being generally decent sticks themselves...they might get a bulk order which would maybe persuade Travall better?

If no joy there maybe a perusal oif what Travall do offer on another sizeable SUV type vehicle might be a decent enough fit on the 80 with a bit of jiggery pockery.

OK who works for a BMW garage i remember they got a beemer series 3 or 5 dog guard from a skip and it fitted their cruiser perhaps they will be able to help you with your search

Good thinking with the Travall direct approach, Juddian.
I tried to go your route of another make model vehicle that would be a decent enough fit, but unless a company like Travall could supply measurements, it's nigh on impossible as they are listed for specific vehicles with no measurements. Shame.
Steve is right with his recollection, just need a response for our resident skip diver, lol.
No offence intended to said member, I would have been in there too !

Hi Caron, it's been a while. Welcome back. Certainly remember Snow White. Glad to hear you're still running her.

Maybe approach Travall with the measurements of the area you want to close off to see if they can match up a dog guard from a different vehicle.

For reference this is what a genuine one looks like.
They pop up from time to time, ( as did this).

I could give dimensions if anyone wants to replicate.

You could try the breakers if they collected a truck with one in it.

Hope this helps.

IMG_2338.JPG

Resident skip diver here :)
No offence taken BTW, my winter wheels for the beemer came from the same skip!!
So did the genuine boot liner, shelving units in the garage etc etc lol.

Mine is from a BMW X5. It's not a direct fit though, had to originally extend the bottom to reach the floor (had a X3 one which cut up) the top mount brackets got cut off and welded in place to suit, the mounts are a combination of both guards to actually fit the 80. Again not a direct bolt in job.

It's been cut up again and now mounts directly to the top of the drawer unit.

Seats cover the gaps at the sides as not full size, handy if need to carry longer items
20210613_194217.jpg

Stops things sliding off the top shelf
20210613_194118.jpg

How it now mounts rather then all the way to the floor. Cut the bottom off and welded angle on.
20200706_194101.jpg

Works well keeping them caged :smile:
IMG-20181117-WA0000.jpg

Thank you all for your lovely replies - so great to hear from you all again. Not worked out how to use this site as it's been a long while & can't figure out how to reply to individual comments so will do it like this for now.

Andy Lomas - wow, doesn't time fly - I remember picking Snow White up and seeing you and your misses as well (you had all your food cooked in coconut oil ) I hope you are both keeping well. Would love the measurements for reference if that's ok.

Chris - ahh you are thinking of Sundance that was totally rebuilt - she is still up and running and lives permanently in SA. I haven't been out off roading at all in Snow White since I bought her. Snow White only had a bit of rust work carried out on her sidebars, she is going in for a bit of work on her tailgate soon. Went to Halfords and had to chuckle when I went back in with boot mat & dog guard saying they were way too small

Clive - thank you, lovely to meet you too. Sundance had the major work done and ended up a beautiful off-road vehicle.

Juddian - brilliant idea, will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. Erm, jiggery pockery - don't think I am skilled in that type of work, I was always good at helping, oil & filter change as well as tyre changing but its been 6+years now.

Spin Drift - I do love Snow White, she mainly sits on my driveway as I now work from home. I do about 30 miles per month tops - unless it's a trip to Ikea

Gary 820 - Love the work and the pictures

I took Snow White out for a spin with Loki & Thor in the boot (sorry forgot pictures). They were brilliant, they didn't try to climb over the back seats at all. Loki & Thor had their leads on and I anchored them to the fixing points with clips which seems to be a temporary fix for now. Worst case scenario is that I get their two cages and fix them in for longer journeys - a bit of a faff but doable. I find that I get 2-4 people a month knocking at my door or leaving cards wanting to buy her. Snow White is due to have some rust work done on her tailgate and a few spots over her body - I live by the sea so the salt air is a nightmare especially as she is parked outside. I will take some photos of Snow White and post them though she needs a good clean and some TLC.

Hi Caron, yep, that was in a different life and we've both moved on, she is well and living in Portugal.
I remember the trials and tribulations you had with your dog when it wasn't well and was glad it recovered ok.
Will get the guard measured up in the next day or so, someone might know someone who could fabricobble one up.

Ahh, I was sure that you'd stripped SW back to a shell and had a full body dent and paint repair on her. As for replying to comments - yes, just like that.

Back