Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello everyone, Newbie from Rotherham

marsie

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi everyone, after several years since i sold my last 80 series i have found myself with another. I have just sold my Range Rover autobiography supercharged and taken a 1993 12v 80vx in px. Got it with the idea of selling it straight on but i am falling in love again and have decided its a keeper (for the time being anyway)

Needs some TLC on the bodywork but is mechanically sound. Upto now its bog standard but i can see it getting modded like my last 80.
Upto now the faults i need to sort are-

interior lights not working
clock resets overtime the ignition is off for any length of time
various panel lights not working
radio resets everytime ignition is turned off
diff lock lights flash but don't engage
bits of interior trim loose (attempted theft about a year ago)
passenger heated seat not working
windows all very slow

needs a damn good valet and polish, as well a couple of small dents removing but other than that the body is very straight for its age although there are a couple of bits of rust coming through
Am already planning a lift and some decent sized tyres and give the fueling/boost a bit of a tweak

So brace yourself for a flurry of stupid questions

Paul (marsie)

20151110_154818.jpg20151110_154826.jpg20151110_154850.jpg

Hello Paul and welcome. I'm about a mile away and can help as much as you like.I drove that the other day and it really does drive well.

Andy

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Paul!

looking forward to how you trace the interior light problem, I have 2 doors that work and 2 that don't, Digonally opposing each other. The switches all test good, and the wiring tests good, it's had me stumped for years :icon-biggrin:

Your 80 looks good, I've always had a thing about white ones...

Welcome Paul.

Nice intro :thumbup: Nice truck. The white ones are nice.

Hi and welcome Paul. Nice looking truck. Sounds like you need a good multimeter and I wouldn't mind betting most of that stems from the same fault, possibly something to do with the theft attempt.

The Windows will need new rubbers. Don't even try anything else just look on Amayama.com and order yourself a set in which will probably cost no more than £160 or so once all duty etc is paid.

Clive, have you tried shorting the wire to ground on each of the two doors that don't work? I had two rear doors like that and despite everything proved it that way. I managed to resurrect the switches by spraying something in the back of them which could have been rust remover or wd40 but I don't remember. I know it was kill or cure at the time.

Karl's your man if you need any parts s/h.

Good to have you aboard.

Richard

Thanks guys, its going to be a work in progress but i am looking forward to the challenge. I know land rovers inside out but not much about toyotas. My last 80 was a 92 vx auto that i lifted and tweaked and then sold to a friend. I still see it running around Rotherham and i sold it in 2007!. Will try and find a photo of it

Andy, we have met several times, you bought a set of weller 8 spokes from me years ago and i worked on your potato trucks when i worked at John Owens garage:thumbup:.
Paul

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi and welcome Paul,can't wait to see the mods :thumbup: nice looking motor you've got

Hi Paul, yes I remember well and what was in your garage too, you are too modest matey. I've done a fair a bit of work on that Cruiser and provided lots of parts for it, just a couple of weeks ago Jeff was here for a couple of bits. Call round anytime, be good to see you again.

Clive, have you tried shorting the wire to ground on each of the two doors that don't work? I had two rear doors like that and despite everything proved it that way. I managed to resurrect the switches by spraying something in the back of them which could have been rust remover or wd40 but I don't remember. I know it was kill or cure at the time. Richard

TBH Rich, it's been a long time since I played with the damn switches, but I would imagine I did ground them, just in an attempt to rule out or blame the switches.

The passenger side front door illuminates the middle rooflight and the rear driver side door illuminates the rear rooflight.

Because they don't work properly, my Mrs manually switches the lights and always leaves them on :icon-rolleyes:

I get the job of going round switching them off and on a lifted truck that means climbing in and over the seats to reach them... Drives me nuts! :lol:

Will do mate, need to pick your brains anyway:think:. Are you still at Laughton?

Done some jobs today-
Clock and radio have lost their permanent live so temporarily took a splice from the hazard switch (guessing that the interior lights are on the same circuit so hopefully will be able to find a broken wire that fixes all the electrical problems in one

Got rid of the dodgy number plates for legal ones

Tweaked the injector pump so it now goes like a 4.2 should:icon-twisted:

Removed all the wheel arches to check corrosion and get to a dent on the passenger side wing, but to be honest i prefer the look of it without the arches on so am contemplating welding up the holes and leaving them off:think:
Paul

20151112_143315.jpg

Forgot to say- i think i have located the bumping from the rear over bumps. Sounded like the exhaust banging on the floor but everything was secure so i got the pry bar out. The o/s/r body mount appears to have come adrift. It appears to be a sort of upside-down top hat bolted to the chassis with a bolt through the middle. On my o/s one the top hat appears to have cracked all the way round so the mount is just loose to bang about (you can just make out the crack in the photo)
Paul

20151112_143330.jpg

p.s as promised, here are some pics of my old 80
lc1.jpglc2.jpg

Cool.

Your "old" 80 looks good too, I've always had a thing about red ones :eusa-whistle:

I remember that one parked outside Owens now, seen it regularly at one time, didn't know it was yours though :icon-biggrin:

Yep that was mine. Still see it around rotherham, but is a bit battered now. Don't think its been washed since i sold it :shock:

Welcome back to LandCruiser madness, your white looks a solid one. Can't wait to see her full transformation.

Its not too bad, a bit rough around the edges but i am addressing that as we speak:icon-surprised:

Todays jobs have included removing both bumpers, welding up a hole on the o/s/r door and starting making my winch bumper :confusion-confused:
Paul

20151112_144923.jpg

20151113_134534.jpg
20151113_142919.jpg
20151113_155346.jpg
20151113_155413.jpg

Attachments

• 20151113_113402.jpg
    20151113_113402.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 131
Forgot to mention, i also got the interior lights working :dance:

No, there was no power to the switches. Power at the dome fuse but non inside the car (blue/yellow wire) so i traced back the loom and found a break where it goes through the bulkhead. Repaired the break and now have interior lights, power to radio and clock:dance:
So i have also fitted my led interior lights :icon-cool:

No, there was no power to the switches. Power at the dome fuse but non inside the car (blue/yellow wire) so i traced back the loom and found a break where it goes through the bulkhead. Repaired the break and now have interior lights, power to radio and clock:dance:
So i have also fitted my led interior lights :icon-cool:

I think I've got the same problem. Was the break on the engine bay side or on the inside of the car? If you have any photos of the area - that would be so great! I have been struggling to find this issue for about 6 months now, with much frustration.

Back