Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from North Somerset

richrock

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hello All,

I am planning a trip to Mongolia and maybe beyond so have been researching LCs and having a bit of a look around. This forum seems to come up on Google with the answers to pretty much all LC based questions so thought I should join it! :icon-biggrin:

My name is Rich and I am based around Bristol. My current thinking is that I want a diesel 80 series probably with full diff locks but a little research shows quite how lacking in knowledge I currently am so I'm sure I will be picking your collective brains. This will be my first 4x4 (although I have been looking for an excuse to purchase for years).

Looking forward to becoming an LC owner....

Rich

welcome
there is a few of us around here including Rob he has done the trip you are thinking about.
i do know of an 80 this way might be for sale. i will speck to the owner.
good luck
stu

Welcome to the forum Rich, there is probably the greatest wealth of info this side of Oz on here. 80's are especially popular. There are plenty of 80 brains in your area so you could link up with Stu (Stumog) and see how it pans out.

Andy

Welcome Rich, good to have another 80 fan on board!

There's a couple of 80s for sale on here (maybe more), Joinerman and another that I can't think of at the mo... :think:

80s rule! :lol:

I've got an 80 for sale, but it's petrol/LPG.

Why the "but" Chas? Bet it goes like a train! Good economy too with the LPG option...:icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Why the "but" Chas? Bet it goes like a train! Good economy too with the LPG option...:icon-biggrin:

:doh: Cos in the first post it was mentioned a diesel was wanted. :icon-smile:
PS
It does go a bit.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club Rich. Drove to Mongolia back in 2010, have a look at the link in my signature.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Dont discount the Colorado (95 series), especially the d4D engined one.

Did you go to the overland show? I recall that Vampire Tours are intending to run a trip to Mongolia.

A growing bunch of us in Somerset (ok, Avon as well, but it doesnt really exist anymore)

Cheers

Pete

Thanks guys. What a warm welcome!

Stu, that's great, let me know what you find out.

Rob, I'll definitely be having a look through your blog and if I can buy you a beer or coffee sometime and have a chat that would be fantastic.

Pete, I have considered a Colorado especially as there tend to be more around and they are a bit cheaper. I am erring away as I want to be able to fit mountain bikes / windsurf kit in the back so larger is better and for some reason I really like the lift up tail gate (nice to have a little something to stand under when getting changed in car parks if it is raining). I'm not sure if that is quite enough reason to discount a 95 series though - any thoughts would be welcome.

Chas, I was thinking about petrol/lpg but am concerned about lpg availability and figured that being able to put in a second tank for the more remote sections of an overland trip would be advisable.

Cheers all,
Rich

Hi Rich
I have both the 80 and 95 if you wish to compare. I don't feel I can get much more in the 80 then 95. I like the solid fron axle of the 80 for robustness.
the 80 is a 24v man in green few dents and scratches. looks good condition cloth interior 215k not sure about mot tax and price I will find out if your interested.
stu

Thanks Stu, that would be great. I have seen both but not together and it would be good to talk through the real differences.

Rich

how come I cant send richrock a pm is that do with the post count?

Rich I am busy Saturday on the plain sunday I think I am welding for somebody maybe next weekend if you want to have a look. where is Bristol are you.

Hi Stu,

I am in Long Ashton. I'm away this weekend but should be free next weekend.

Rich

Rich send me a PM if you can.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If you let me know when you're meeting up I will try and come along as well !

Pete

Not sure why but Rob seems to the only person I can PM?

Stu, are you around at all this weekend? I think I have an entirely free weekend and would love to spend at least some of it talking about Landcruisers :)

Not sure if I am being presumptive here but Rob, Pete, how about we all meet up in a pub near Stu on Saturday or Sunday?

Rich

i am free sunday as i have to pick up my lr from the farm and bring back to my house to work on.
i dont mind meeting in the middle. i can bring the 80 pete the 95 and you can see both up close.
not sure where is best for pete. is near the docks any good?
stu

Back