Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Subic bay Philippines

Thomas Tiritilli

Country Flag
philippines
Hello everyone, i just bought a 1998 100 series Landcrusier VXR, i need some help with it.
It is a Dubia model, so i believe it is a original left hand drive.
What is the difference of a VXR, to say a VX?

It is in great shape it has Dual gas tanks, does anyone know the capacity ?
It has a V8 Gas engine, with a Automatic Trans, is it always in Four wheel drive?
How strong are the axles, say compared to a 80 series?

Can someone decipher the model number and VIN? If so here it is
Model number UZJ100L-GNPEKV
VIN JTB11WJAOW8002884
Engine number 2UZ-FE, HOW STRONG IS THIS 4.7 V8?

Any help would be deeply appreciated, as i haven't own a 100 series before, and my last 2 landcrusiers i own was many years ago, I had a 40, which was modified with a 350 chevy V8, was a offroad toy. And i had a 80 series 6 cyl Diesel.

Thank you

DSC01522.JPG DSC01532.JPG DSC01538.JPG DSC01542.JPG DSC01546.JPG

UZJ100L-GNPEKV.jpg

That looks like a great cruiser you got there.
The VXR, VX, GX, Std, etc designations are national or market specific, so it's hard to say without better or local knowledge, but probably means "top-of-the line".

The engine is a smooth long-runner, gentle on oil and timing belts. Loss of coolant is the biggest danger - check those "heater Tees" (the T-joints where the coolant goes in to the cabin heater). Those engines will easily run over 500 k km if kept well, and even a million if rebuilt before failure.

It's constant 4wd - which means nice to drive and less wear on individual axles and tyres. You have a button to the left of the ventilation controls for locking the centre differential, which forces the front and rear axles to run at the same speed. Not to be used on paved roads, but great for sand and snow. If it's not modified, it will also lock the centre differential (CDL) when changing to Low Range. That is a feature which is best removed (pin 7 mod), allowing you to do tight manoeuvres in low range, e.g. with a trailer.
You may also have a RDL, via a rotating switch to the left of the steering wheel.

The rear diff is strong. The front a bit less, especially if not modified on the 98 to 2000 MY. There was a change in june 2000 iirc, from 2 to 4 pinion front diff. The 2-pinion is too weak for any "serious work".

Thank you for that info, it was a big help, especially about the 4 wheel drive.
Do all 100 series come with dual gas tanks? Do you know the capacity ?
Thank you again

Standard is only one tank of 96 litres. Subtanks come in any flavour, what I've seen referred to most frequently is 45 to 110 litres. The factory subtank is 45 l on the UZJ.

Thank you for that info, so i have a main tank with 96L capacity and a reserve of most likely 45L yes?

Again thank you sir.

Probably yes, if the subtank looks factory.

Re the front diff: The sure way to break it is to pull someone/something in reverse (like getting a friend unstuck). Many have reported breaking the front diff while reversing with some kind of extra load, like uneven grip, uneven terrain or pulling something. It also breaks easily if a spinning wheel suddenly gets a good grip, so go slow in uneven terrain. This all refers to the early 2-pinion diff. The 4-pinion seems to be a few times stronger, only rock crawlers are likely to manage to break it.
I checked the production date for when the new diff came -- it was august 1999. Se attached pdf where you can find the part number of the newer diff.

Attachments

• Change of Front Differential on Land Cruiser CP0025_0_1.pdf
    65.5 KB · Views: 88
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thank you, for that info. I was reading that as well, so i started reading about how to make that front differential better, seems to be to replace it with a 80 series? As getting the diff for say a 105 is hard to get over here in the Philippines. But i won't do anything for now unless it breaks.
Again thank you for all the info sir.

80 (like in my avatar pic) or 105 series front diff (rfs) would be a seriously big rebuild of a 100 series ifs (independent front suspension). The way to go is to make sure you get the 4-pinion diff if it ever needs replacing. Also, fitting a front diff.lock at the same time will further strengthen the diff.

What are your plans for the car? Is it a daily driver?

Yea, i know it is a big job to do a solid axle conversion as i did it on my Chevy truck 1500, cut off the IFS and installed a Dana 60.
I would try to find a 100 series 4 pinion, but over here in the Philippines it can get hard to find certain parts.
I am hoping i don't break the axle, but if i do will look into all options and decide. My landcrusier won't see too much offroad use, as i been doing off roading for years, and now with my age and medical issues i will not likely be off road to often. But you never know Haha. Here are a few pictures of my Chevy and 40 series.

P1010174.JPG P1010199.JPG P1010208.JPG P1010195.JPG

My goodness, must be something in the water in the Philippines :lol:

Not everyone’s cup of tea, but those trucks are works of art

Love the hundee Cruiser too, looks really nice in white...

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

BTW, looking at the pics of the 100, it looks like your rims are not standard, or you have spacers, as they stick out a bit. Or is it just the picture angle? Do they give you powersteer and tracking problems?

BTW, looking at the pics of the 100, it looks like your rims are not standard, or you have spacers, as they stick out a bit. Or is it just the picture angle? Do they give you powersteer and tracking problems?

Those wheels were on the LC when i bought it, i replaced them with another set. I haven't drove it yet, but will Monday they fit good, will send some pictures next week sir. Thanks again

Back