Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from the US

findog78

Country Flag
united_states
Hi Mike here,
I just got back from hunting season and borrowed the wife's Pathfinder hopefully for the last time. Been doing some research looking for roomy 4dr 4x4 that has some actual off road capability and still be a daily driver. Seams the 93-97 FJ80 are a favorite with straight axle and locking diff option. Im here to learn more and get some opinions before I make a purchase. The ones I've seen so far are in the 220K+ mile range. I know Toyota go for a lot but I dont want to buy one and have to rebuild the motor. Any tips and advise on selection, options, engine etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Mike :thumbup:

If its been serviced (at all) it will be just run-in at 220k :lol:

Seriously, unless its been abused (overheated for example) these things go forever.

Most of us outside the US are oil burners, but there’s a few gas guys on here who offer better advice.

I don’t think mileage should worry you.

Although 80s don’t usually suffer much, compared with others, rust is the biggest enemy as they’re getting on a bit in years.

Thanks for the reassurance. Any recommendations on options or specific year to be on the look out for? Any problems or specific things I should be looking at when I go inspect the vehicle for purchase?

Back