Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello!

number76

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Hi, just joined up last night as have been on the look out for a nice VX 80, and most of my searches led me to this site, so out of the few this is my choice!.

I did have a nice Grey VX 80 back in 2006 it was a N reg 4.5 Petrol with a gas conversion, was a great truck and loved every minute of driving, but sold it not long after as my local garages didn't do LPG at the time and was not cost effective on Petrol, so sadly sold for a L322.

Now I am looking for a good tow vehicle (legal 3.5t) and thought of only a few options, a Daihatsu Fourtrak 2.8 LWB, but sadly most if not all are now rotten, Isuzu 3.1 SWB, but again all in such a poor state, so has left me with the Landcruiser VX 80 again!.

Have been having a look around and what a choice there seems to be out of the few offered, it seems to me its either near to a very good example as possible, or a complete wreck, both in mechanics and bodywork, there's not much "in the middle" if that makes sence....why is it that people treat them so bad?....

I am looking for a 4.2 TD with some good history and at the moment not too fussed if its manual or an auto, I am going to be using mainly for towing, so maybe a forum member can advise how they get on if they are a "tower" like myself....

I have seen on here a nice looking Black one that I am now going to enquire about, but being a new member I can not PM the chap.

I will see if I can post a wanted ad, as someone out there must have a good known example for sale?...

Anyways, glad to be here.

Welcome. They might be a bit of a queue for a nice 80 series, so you will get help but be aware that you are not the only one who is looking. We are an honourable bunch so if you post one for our opinion, it's unlikely that anyone will then go and steal it from under you. This is one of the most hotly debated topics on here with regular postings of vehicles for sale on e-bay etc. Many of them have been round and round and quite a few are known to us. It helps if you fill in your location in the side bar then we know where best to direct you. Be prepared for disappointment there are some poor examples out there and some sellers have a greatly over inflated view of their value. The 80 will tow anything on the planet, around the planet and back again. Petrols are usually cheaper and in over all better condition. But grim MPG.

I wouldn't bother much with history. These are 20 year old cars. Most will have been dealer stamped up to a point but after 5 or six owners it's pretty irrelevant. You can tell by looking if it has been looked after or not. Remould miss matching tyres will mean it's unlikely to have had an oil change at a main Toyota dealer! You need to decide which balance you want between mechanicals, interior and bodywork. If you are a body shop owner then it doesn't matter about rusty tailgates. If you are good on the spanner than you can fix mechanicals. Very best of luck iin finding one with great drive train, body and interior. They are rare and demand a premium price and at the end of it may still be hiding some nasties that we can help you find. Just be realistic on what is out there.

Get your post count going and soon you'll be one of the crowd. Hope you find something decent soon. If you aren't bothered about UK spec diff lockers then an auto 24v import is the way to go.

Beat me to it Chris, word for word :lol: . Anyway your name and location might help, there is always a member with experience nearby who can help.

Andy

Evening Chris, thanks for the post, yep I am more than aware of others looking, has been a help to read their posts too and gather some more info, on what they have seen, good or bad!.

History, I did mean it would be good to buy one from someone who has owned for a time, so I can get an idea of the vehicle & the owner, not just someone making a quick buck who's owned for a short wile and in it for the £, paper history is a bonus too yes, but I prefer the latter.

We will have to see I guess, you never know what's about, I'm sure ill find something....I'm ok with the spanners and have a few good friends who have the toys I don't for mechanics / electricals I can not do myself, also an awesome paint guy too, so very lucky really.

I have updated my location too, so any owners local feel free to say hi.

Thanks again for the info.

Danny.

Ahh, well if you are in that neck of the woods, you are not far from 80breaker on ebay. Handy for parts. Been to see some very dodgy 80's out in the Fens.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, I did see his ads on eBay, is it Gary?.

I am checking on all the sites, the Green one on eBay with the poor pics didn't make much?, pics I guess and lack of info didn't help.

Anyways, I have enquired about a Black one that was for sale on here, just waiting back on some more info etc, I did a reply to the post on the ads section, it must be one of the very last?.... Would be nice for the right price, i would love to spend some time & get it all back to former glory again, but looking at the amount of oil that was scrubbed from the boot space carpet she's been no show pony!.

We will see, you never know...hope everyone had a good day.

Back