Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello

Forsbuck

Country Flag
uk
Hi All

I’m coming over from the dark side as a defender owner. Looking to hopefully buy my first LC soon.

Would love to connect with any 60 owners to hear about your experience.

All the best

KB

Hello Forsbuck,
If you want a 60 wait to see what Andy has available. They are such simple and robust vehicles so are a pleasure to work on. Everything is heavy duty and built to last except the bodywork. So make sure this is the best you can afford at the outset. It is much more expensive to put right afterwards

Reactions: MGC
Would love to connect with any 60 owners to hear about your experience.

Hi KB, I ran 60's pretty much all the time from about 98 through to about 5 years ago. During that time I had other ( newer ones as well) Cruisers including 40's through to my 120 today.
They are very much an acquired taste in the modern world, steady performance ( unless they have an aftermarket turbo conversion) and a very antiquated ride. That said at the time as the driver I thought they were ok but no passenger was very impressed.
Nowadays my daily is my 24V auto 80 which is streets ahead in every respect.
I'd say get around a 60 owner or two and have a drive and a feel for the thing, 20+ years ago I thought they were great and did more than 100k in them but have done with them now. The problem I see for potential buyers is there are so few good ones about due to the unfavourable environment in winter and the good ones that are out there seem to be quite dear, it would be interesting to find out if they do sell.
I do have a rust free one, a high roof import auto with air con in tempest grey, but the others I have need a bit, not a lot of work but are all low mileage examples.

Details will follow.

Hi Andy!

Thanks for sharing this, great to hear your experience.

I currently have a ‘97 Defender TDI hard top as my daily driver. I use it for local runs mostly but do have to do a couple of longer runs a week. It meets my off-road needs well but the road noise gets a bit tiring after a while (it measured 80 decibels on my iPhone).

Aside from the noise, we just welcomed kid #2 and the Landy only has three seats.

I’m looking at 60s in the hope that it will offer a bit more space and comfort whilst still being a bulletproof motor. I still only have a basic mechanical knowledge but it appeals to me to have a simple off-roader, the likes of which you’d find in the outback.

I get the newer models will offer more comfort. Is there a significant difference in fuel economy? (Especially worth considering in todays climate).

I appreciate Ben’s comments and from my own experience don’t want to have a constant battle with passing MOT and poor reliability but very keen to see what you have and if it could fit the bill.

All the best,

KB

The 2H and12H-T 60 engines are similar to my previous 80 1HD-FTE engine’s at around the 26mpg mark. All manual gbox.
The 90 3 Ltr could get around the 30 mark.
All these were the best with careful driving.
20% less if just pottering about around town

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Andy,

I tried DMing you but can’t find how!

Would you be able to send me a message?
Hi KB, I ran 60's pretty much all the time from about 98 through to about 5 years ago. During that time I had other ( newer ones as well) Cruisers including 40's through to my 120 today.
They are very much an acquired taste in the modern world, steady performance ( unless they have an aftermarket turbo conversion) and a very antiquated ride. That said at the time as the driver I thought they were ok but no passenger was very impressed.
Nowadays my daily is my 24V auto 80 which is streets ahead in every respect.
I'd say get around a 60 owner or two and have a drive and a feel for the thing, 20+ years ago I thought they were great and did more than 100k in them but have done with them now. The problem I see for potential buyers is there are so few good ones about due to the unfavourable environment in winter and the good ones that are out there seem to be quite dear, it would be interesting to find out if they do sell.
I do have a rust free one, a high roof import auto with air con in tempest grey, but the others I have need a bit, not a lot of work but are all low mileage examples.

Details will follow.

Back