Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help! - flat batteries - radio code?

HiUp

Country Flag
uk
Hi and seasons greetings to all.

My recently aquired 2004 Land Cruiser KDJ120 LC5 seems to have flat batteries.

The in built condition indicator lights say that both batteries are OK (nice bright blue lights) but she wont turn over.

I bought a new 8.5amp battery charger and have been charging it overnight for the last two days - but today she wont turn over.

Dont know what to do - Christmas - no garages open -:doh:

I'm concerned that in all the paperwork I have with the car - there is no mention of a radio code. I have the LC5 Sat Nav which controls just about everything - audio - AC - climate - etc.

If the batteries die - or I disconnect them to replace them - what are the implications? Does the LC5 even have a radio code?

What can I test for and how?

If I get a jump start the car runs OK so I assume the alternator is charging. I suppose the battery condition indicators could be lying? I would hate to buy two new batteries if there is nothing wrong with them. I cant even find any data to say what size the batteries are - I assume 90 or 100amp each>

As I live in the middle of nowhere - my vehicle is essential so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

No radio code on the LC5. IF you have flat batteries you'll lose all the settings but it'll still work ...

Thanks Gary.

By 'you will loose all the settings' do you mean radio stations - service records - etc?

This is a difficult beast to find info on isn't it?

Do you know what size the batteries should be - 90 - 100amp? Do they have to be a matched pair - ie left and right handed?

I might try Mr T tomorrow (IF they are open) for a battery/alternator test and a new pair of batteries -if required. I have read that they are reasonable on battery prices.

I will post what I learn - thanks for your help.

Peter

Never could go find out the battery size - suspect 65 amp hours each and yes they are handed. The settings will be radio stations etc. The service records are memo fields in the on board computer - shouldn't lose timing belt info or mileage details.

Thanks again Gary.

I would be lost without what is learned from this forum.

Regards

Peter

if you disconnect the batteries you will loose the window references for the one click open and close so you will have to operate each window fully to reset the open closed positions. you will notice that the window switch light flashes until it has been cycled when the power is hooked up again.

the batteries should be changed in pairs, if you have different batteries this this may cause stress on the charging system and lead to a much bigger bills

good luck

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds crazy but same thing happened to my once. Try 1111... it's a long shot I know, but it worked for me.

If the code hasn't been changed for personal preference the makers code is often 0000 or 1234. :think:

Had the batteries out of my LC4 2005 over Christmas for the first time and i soon picked up on the windows light flashing! Tinternet soon answered that one for me, funny quirk!
No loss of ECU data other than trip mileage was zeroed, no code needed for radio but presets had gone (no great loss)
Never realised the batteries are handed? can understand if the performance was different ie different ratings or quality, infact (correct me if i am wrong) if they are wired in parallel they should support each other as apposed to serial where one will draw from the other? (just a thought and not my area of expertise)

Yup, batteries are handed. Get the wrong ones and the positive cable won't reach. The don't stretch to well.

They are parallel so they act as one large battery.

Thanks Gary.

By 'you will loose all the settings' do you mean radio stations - service records - etc?

This is a difficult beast to find info on isn't it?

Do you know what size the batteries should be - 90 - 100amp? Do they have to be a matched pair - ie left and right handed?

I might try Mr T tomorrow (IF they are open) for a battery/alternator test and a new pair of batteries -if required. I have read that they are reasonable on battery prices.

I will post what I learn - thanks for your help.

Peter

Varta recommend 95ah batteries for this model according to their vehicle/battery search website.

http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-...cturerNo=111&modellineNo=4978&modeltype=17230

Had the batteries out of my LC4 2005 over Christmas for the first time and i soon picked up on the windows light flashing! Tinternet soon answered that one for me, funny quirk!

It's worth pointing out this quirk - well done. I had exactly the same at the same time (weird coincidence there).

I had my batteries changed and, because of the cold weather, it was a couple of days before I noticed the driver-window-control could not operate the other electric windows. By then I'd been busy fitting a new head unit and I thought I must have done something to the wiring loom. I was all set to book in for an expensive Toyota Diagnostic when I noticed I had control of the passenger window once more... still not the rear. I then noticed the rear window-control leds were flashing. So I played with the controls (up, down, up, down, etc) and eventually the flash stopped. Once the flashing stopped, I had driver-control of all the windows again.

Truly quirky!

So there's the fix to that issue guys... if you unhook your batteries, play with your windows to get control back. Thanks to Simon5030 for raising that.

Crispin
I knew there was something missing from the theory:think:
Did not think about the cable length!
Thanks

I purchased two 'matched -handed' 90amp/Hr batterries with around 800 CCA each and a 5 year warranty from a site called 'The Battery Guys' on line for less that £150 delivered.

They fitted staigh on - just had to trim the plasic battery base plates that I wanted to retain from my original batteries.

There was no code for the radio but you do have to reset the radio stations and the electric windows need 're-setting' (the windows will fail to be controlled via the drivers door control. Wind each winow down on the individual controller and then fully up and keep your finger on the up control for a second or two. This re-educates the windows and now all will be well).

What a difference the batteries make. The engine really spins over now with 12V and 180 CCA from the twin batteries.

I found a date on the batteries I took off - it was 03-2004. My car was first registerd in 06-2004 so the batteries were older that my car and were obviuously the original batteries. The make was 'DENSO GS'. The tell tale condition lights in the original batteries are still saying that they are 'in good order' but they aint. Can't complain if they lasted 10 tears tho'.

A little while back - before the no starting problems showed up - I changed my main beam/dipped beam bulbs in an attempt to get some decent headlights. I put in some +130% bulbs and they were much better. Since the new batteries went on they are now MUCH MUCH better. If you have poor lighting - are your batteries OK?

Thanks again to all who replied and for all their help.

I will post more soon as I am about to have underbody rust cleaning and treatment - all new ARB underbody steel plates - and a full service and check for oil sludging of my oil sump pick up filter. :handgestures-finge:

The window switches are illuminated - that light will flash until they learn where max travel up and down is, by manual up and down moves. Don't forget the sunroof :)
Glad it's all better. Best check alternator output as well now so you know the batteries are getting full charge.

so, this seems similar to the problem I just posted about in my 2005 Lc5; And reading through the forums it looks like there were a few other people with similar issues as well, around the same time - and as far as i can tell, this isnt / hasent been an issue reported this frequently in this forum before ( going back a few years ) - so WTF

did all of these trucks have a word with each other, sort out a union and decide to all hang their boots up at around the same point in time.

I think that's a syndrome of forums, a thread appears and folks think "mine does/did that, I'll post" and the subject goes a bit viral...

I don't think there's a dead battery conspiracy going on, it's winter, after all.

Back