Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help installing a sway bar

asheddie

Country Flag
australia
Hello everyone, I have an FJ70 1986 model. I only got it recently and have started doing it up. I got my delivery today of a sway bar or anti roll bar, not sure what they call them over there? I'm having some difficulty lining it up and thought I'd ask if anyone else has a similar 70 series set up. The FJ has leaf springs all round. I noticed my mounts have one captive nut and a slot but the sway bar I got has two bolt holes? :crazy:
I'm wondering if I was given the wrong one? I hope not as the wreckers are 150kms away... if anyone has a picture of their set up it'd be very handy to see.

Thanks in advance,

Ash.

Hello everyone, I have an FJ70 1986 model. I only got it recently and have started doing it up. I got my delivery today of a sway bar or anti roll bar, not sure what they call them over there? I'm having some difficulty lining it up and thought I'd ask if anyone else has a similar 70 series set up. The FJ has leaf springs all round. I noticed my mounts have one captive nut and a slot but the sway bar I got has two bolt holes? :crazy:
I'm wondering if I was given the wrong one? I hope not as the wreckers are 150kms away... if anyone has a picture of their set up it'd be very handy to see.

Thanks in advance,

Ash.

Sorry mate. . Just had sausages and mash for breakfast! !:laughing-rolling:

Funny how things from your past come back at ya! Lol..

Im guessing the setup on your hd 70 will be a version the same as a 60 antiroll bar setup. Im finding it difficult to picture the part that you ve been supplied with. But if the part you have doesnt look like the one on your truck then it must be incorrect. .:think:

Sorry mate. . Just had sausages and mash for breakfast! !:laughing-rolling:

Funny how things from your past come back at ya! Lol..

HAHAHA classic!

I had a play around with it and have got it to line up but I still need to find some D brackets to hold the front bushes in. I need the type with the tab at the top and the bolt hole at the bottom. apparently these are hard to find...

Well after ringing multiple wreckers it became obvious that I wasn't going to find new brackets. I decided to do a simple modification to my old brackets after I realised what I needed.

this is the bush/bracket that came with the new sway bar 20150422_161122.jpg

bracket after I cut one side off20150422_161131.jpg

I made a tongue out of some scrap steel 20150422_161414.jpg

one side welded in place20150422_162122.jpg

after I welded it all round I bolted it in place20150422_171039.jpg

Not a neat weld but I'm sure it'll do the job. 20150422_171107.jpg

It bolted up nice and tight. I'll still try to find the correct brackets but I think these will do till I find some. I've ordered a full set of D bushes and new link bars/bushes too.

Nice one mate.. Glad you sorted it out, I've seen it before small bits like that are often hard to source for the older landcruisers here in the UK. Luckily in Aus you have many more! :thumbup:

Im guessing the setup on your hd 70 will be a version the same as a 60 antiroll bar setup.

Yes they are virtually the same vehicle with a different body and wider axles. Electrical system is also the same,year for year

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back