Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HELP non starter

michael

Hello could anyone help me the car has been starting fine since I put new batteries and glowplugs in just before christmas ,
Then this morning I went to start it and all I get is a fast clicking noise when I try to turn her over ?

Something's caused your batteries to go flat by the sounds of things :thumbdown:

Why did you replace the batteries in the first instance? Perhaps you've had a current drain all along that needs sorting...

Cheers,

Hello Andrew I`ve not had it long and the batteries were ancient so I put 2 new ones on but its not the batteries as I had my brother down with jump leads on and it did just the same clicking, I`ve been reading around the sites and it sounds like the copper contacts in my starter motor have gone they say you can get a kit but I`m just after a bit of confirmation that it is my problem

Ian Rubie will probably have the kit of parts for you to rebuilt the starter...

Hello Gav can he get them quickly,as on the other site they say you can get them from the roughtrax site

He had them next day when I needed the kit for Muxley.

If he can't help, you could also try parts-king on here - he's a helpful chap too.

Ring 'em all & see who's the best ;)

BTW, what you doing going over there... :naughty:

:lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
How do you get phone numbers gav I`ve pm Ian but no reply as yet but I`ll have to get it ordered today

Gav, we are talking about an 95 here you know. Ian doesn't stock much other than 80 parts.

Incidentally getting the starter off a 95 is a real @sre of a job. If it's just clicking it's more likely the solenoid rather then the contacts on the HV side I'd have thought. I'd give it a tap with a wooden mallet. You need to find out what's wrong before you order parts really. Trust me you won't want to take it off more than once.

Chris

Chris said:
Gav, we are talking about an 95 here you know. Ian doesn't stock much other than 80 parts.
I did but I didn't know about Ian vs 80's... :oops:

michael said:
Hello Andrew I`ve not had it long and the batteries were ancient so I put 2 new ones on but its not the batteries as I had my brother down with jump leads on and it did just the same clicking, I`ve been reading around the sites and it sounds like the copper contacts in my starter motor have gone they say you can get a kit but I`m just after a bit of confirmation that it is my problem

Hi Michael

Just because your brother has brought some jump leads, are the "thick" cables with good quality clamps ! because if they are thin skimpy jump leads it won't be able to pass enough current to start it.

Have you tried to tow start it ? (assuming its not a Auto)

Hello firstly it is an auto and my leads jumped it at christmas when the old batteries were going down so I think they can handle the load hopefully.
I`ve just tried hitting it with a lump of wood as I couldn`t get my mallet near it but no good still just rapid clicking noise ? do you think it is the contacts as the other site suggests :roll: ,
The batteries are down now with trying to start it for the last hour so I`m going to charge them overnight and try again in the morning before ordering any parts.

michael said:
How do you get phone numbers gav I`ve pm Ian but no reply as yet but I`ll have to get it ordered today
Sorry buddy, I missed this post... I reckon any reply would have been made redundant by Chris's suggestions:
Chris said:
Incidentally getting the starter off a 95 is a real @sre of a job. If it's just clicking it's more likely the solenoid rather then the contacts on the HV side I'd have thought. I'd give it a tap with a wooden mallet. You need to find out what's wrong before you order parts really. Trust me you won't want to take it off more than once.
I don't have a phone number for parts king but he does respond to a PM vay quickly if you find you need some bits tomorrow...

Not sure it'll work on an auto but could you not select 2nd, hand barake off and try to rock it with a bit of muscle, it may free it up for you to then try and start it, works on manuals !

Nick.

Chris said:

It is only because I know what people are going to ask for on 80's, having had a few I know what goes. With 90's I don't think anyone has ever asked for the same part twice!!

I would try Parts King.

Ian

Hi Ian, glad you've answered that. Wasn't meaning to say that you didn't do 90 parts, just that you'd be unlikely to have those bits in stock. Not that common on a 90 actually. Maybe 'cos it isn't 24 volt and mega amps burning across it.

Chris

Look here Michael viewtopic.php?f=14&t=115

I've done the solenoid repair using parts from Rough Trax.

Common fault on the 1KZTE engine (same as surf)

Hardest part is getting the starter motor back in.

I suppose if the batteries were stuffed then it could account for 'chatter' in the contacts and accelerated burning on the electrode, Matt.

Looks remarkably like the solenoid on the 80 series. You just have to be careful of that little wire. Snap that and it's trouble time!

Chris

Michael, just looking at your signature (no mods yet !) believe me the guys on this forum will soon change that, they got me hooked :lol:

Nick.

Do you know Michael, I haven't a clue. But when my starter went and I came to do the refurb, it snapped when I tried to move it to get the plates off. Mine was not a genuine Toyota starter and the wired looked a bit rubbish. But, there was nothing to solder to and I ended up chasing the wire down into the solenoid until the whole thing was knackered.

I then got a genuine Toyota one (2nd hand) and put the new bits into that one. The wire was better but still a tricky little operation.

Chris

Back