Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help with a carputer

Birder

Hi

I think its time I put a Carputer in my 75, I have a touch screen that will fit nicely in front of the radio area so next I need to get a system but unlike most landcruisers in the 75 pickup there is not a lot of space.

After reading another post on here I am going to run centrafuse.

However I have a spare Dell Laptop and if i could fit it behind or under the seats i could use that.

My problem is once its fitted it will be a pain to get at and will have to be closed. Once running I can shut it down from the screen and then turn off the power with a fitted switch but I cant think of a way to start it without pressing the button which means i have to open the lid (That i cant get at).

Anyone have a trick to switch on a laptop when its closed.

Also does anyone have a supplier for a system that would fit in the double din radio area.

Thanks

Not to sure as to how you would power up a laptop when it's closed. You need to check the bios to see if it will support switch on when sensing power. It's how I get my carputer to switch on.

As far as Centrafuse is concerned, it's a great application, and I do like it, but be aware it's not the finished and polished product that some may want. There is always something making it not quite 100%. As a example, I wanted to replace the car radio with a FM receiver... pain in the arse to find one that would work for me.... but I managed to get wifi tethering to work, so now my car pc connects to the wifi hotspot from my phone, and I now can stream radio stations over the internet. It works very well, but I have not checked to see what the data usage is :shock:

I think if I had to start again, I would look for a double din pc unit. Whe I built my car pc, these were available, but they were abit pricy.

I know some folk her euse laptops as carputers, but not sure if theirs are permanently in the LC's.

Won't a mini-itx PC be smaller and easier to configure how you want than a laptop, or do you need to re-use kit you already have? If you're really tight for space then a rugged netbook might be your best option.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Won't a mini-itx PC be smaller and easier to configure how you want than a laptop, or do you need to re-use kit you already have? If you're really tight for space then a rugged netbook might be your best option.

Its not that i need to use the laptop, its just that it stands here doing nothing. I could use wake up on the laptop but that means its has to be left in standby so not as good as off. It does not support switch on when sensing power either. The laptop I have also does not seem to allow it to start on anything other than its own screen. Its insured so maybe i need to use it while sitting at the side of my pond ;) so the i can use the clasing line "Dell sleeps with the fishes" on the claim form

I cant find a mini-itx that will fit in the Double din space but i have found a 170mm x 170mm footprint Micro-itx that will go in so i just need to find what specs are needed for Centrafuse and so far i cant seem to find it on their website.

Found the specs for centrafuse and this mini / micro itx is above them so i have ordered the case and motherboard.

So i need a 12v ATX power supply, a few other bits that i most likely have about, and i am away.

I will set it up running in my house first so will no doubt be asking more questions.

Anyone have a spare licensed version of centrafuse? ;)

Back