Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help!

HowardH

Country Flag
united_states
I have a 1995 Land cruiser with a 6 cylinder engine - 4.5 liter.
My wife drives it 95% of the time and this has not happened to me yet, so I will describe from her viewpoint.
She will go on errands and the first 3 are fine. After that if she turns the engine off it will not start. (the engine turns over fine, I just replaced the battery and starter) After an hour or so, it will start and then runs ok. I will take it for a drive and it runs perfectly. I just tuned it up and my mechanic changed the fuel pump. (He thought it may be that). It is still not starting after the 3rd or 4th stop unless you wait an hour or more. It always starts in the morning flawlessly and it is running very smoothly. Have any of you ever had this problem? Thank you!

Take it by your location it's a gasser, could be air locking, try loosening the filler cap when it wont start, may get a whoosh of air go into the tank, there's a vent in the cap, may be blocked.

If it happens below zero it's water in the bottom of the fuel tank which freezes and blocks the pickup pipe. I've had this before and took months to work it out.

Frank

Thanks for the idea,s. it just happened now. I opened the gas cap and there was a whoosh of air but it still would not start. I did do this...I held down the gas pedal to the floor like in the old days when the carburetor was flooded. After about 30 seconds of cranking it started to ignite. i kept holding the pedal down and then it started and was smoking like crazy for awhile. Any suggestions on this?

Whoosh of air..........in or out?
Smoke.............Black = Too much Petrol. Blue= Oil.

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the idea,s. it just happened now. I opened the gas cap and there was a whoosh of air but it still would not start. I did do this...I held down the gas pedal to the floor like in the old days when the carburetor was flooded. After about 30 seconds of cranking it started to ignite. i kept holding the pedal down and then it started and was smoking like crazy for awhile. Any suggestions on this?

On modern (ish) cars, cranking with the foot flat to the boards will usually cut off the fuel supply (disable the auto-richening etc) - so usually used for clearing a flooded engine (this is the process for modern Mazda's for example). Gut reaction is it sounds like overfuelling to me - and the stop, start stuff is causing it to over-rich the mixture, flooding the engine. Leave it an hour, fuel evaporates, car cools, hey presto it runs again.

Are they short journeys between the stops? Mine doesn't like it if does trips like that, not to the point of not starting but you can smell the umburnt fuel

Air coming out of tank and white/grayish smoke. It is still doing this. I have it at the mechanic now, but of course it will not happen to him. It happens to my wife everyday.

Strange. My experience of a tank not venting properly is the fuel going out causing a vacuum, i.e. Air rushing in when you remove the cap.
Could evaporating petrol cause the tank to pressurise if it's not venting properly?
either way, I'd concentrate on the vent, it's probably full of mud or a mouse nest or something! :lol:

Back