Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi from Brisbane Australia

Magic

Country Flag
australia
Hi guys
Im just getting a BJ73 this week and its needs bit of work :).
I was trying to get some service manuals form this site but i keep getting his message :

Magic, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activati

Can anyone let me know how to get around it ?
Cheers M

Welcome to the club. :thumbup:

Nice choice of LandCruiser. :clap:

Id like a 73 or 74. Would look serious cool with the roof off. :icon-cool:

I suspect you cant download the PDF manuals because you havent yet made enough posts. Basically to stop people from joining the club with the sole intention of getting the manuals and never giving anything back or making any contribution to the club. I may be wrong though. :think:

thanks Ben
Yeah ill post some picks when i get it, its pretty wild electics pretty much redone in a wierd way even the climite controll panell and fan is gone hahah. But it runs well and dose not have much rust, only a little around the window wich ill have to fix.
Im new to Landcruisers and pretty much now nothing on the bj73 and would appriciate any coments , specs , fuel consumption , bad and good points of this truck. Plus any simple mods which are a must.
Anyway good to be here

Things to watch for on Australian Land Cruisers of that vintage:
-Does the bulkhead leak? I used to find driving some of the 28 yo Troopys I'd get a wet foot when it was raining (that would be a novelty)... no-one else would notice because they tended to wear boots, whereas I was working on the river so I'd be barefoot/wearing thongs.
-The back door WILL creak because of the spare wheel on it. Not sure on a fix beyond finding a swing away carrier

I used to have an FJ73, but mine was low KM's so didn't have the leaky bulkhead (but did have the creaking back door)

Awesome. :thumbup:

Were you looking for a 73 in particular or did this one just come along?

I think there reasonably rare over here. :think:

One thing I would like to do if/when I buy one will be to convert it to coil suspension, and I think I'd possibly look at using 80 series diff casings and control arms. Obviously it would mean cutting the old leaf springs mounts off the chassis and welding new mounts on. :icon-twisted:

So quite a big job and possibly expensive to get it engineered to keep it road legal. But I think it would be worth it as it would be so much nicer to drive on the road. That size wheel base would be awesome off road! :icon-cool:

My LJ70's wheel base is a bit short really making it unstable at times off road, where as a 73/74 should be a lot more stable but still have the awesome maneuverability that the bigger trucks just don't have! :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Awesome. :thumbup:

Were you looking for a 73 in particular or did this one just come along?

I think there reasonably rare over here. :think:

One thing I would like to do if/when I buy one will be to convert it to coil suspension, and I think I'd possibly look at using 80 series diff casings and control arms. Obviously it would mean cutting the old leaf springs mounts off the chassis and welding new mounts on. :icon-twisted:

So quite a big job and possibly expensive to get it engineered to keep it road legal. But I think it would be worth it as it would be so much nicer to drive on the road. That size wheel base would be awesome off road! :icon-cool:

My LJ70's wheel base is a bit short really making it unstable at times off road, where as a 73/74 should be a lot more stable but still have the awesome maneuverability that the bigger trucks just don't have! :icon-biggrin:

The 73 isn't that much longer in the wheelbase and still gets caught up at times... BUT they do turn on a sixpence.

I'm not sure if a 74 is coil, whereas the 73 is leaf... I think the Swiss guy who has a LJ73 has coil springs under it, but the "heavy" Land Cruisers are leaf, whilst the "light" are coil. We've got a couple of BJ and FJ70's around here which are leaf all round, whereas the RJ70 had coils (the "heavy" B and FJ's have leafs and a slightly different nose)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes the bulk head leaks and bit of rust in front windshield .... thinking of fixing it with a bit of fiber glass or getting a new fiberglass one ?
And yes ive always wanted a Landcruiser but never looked into them seriously as they are bloody expensive. There was a bj73 for sale so had a look but it had a bit to much rust for my liking , then there was another one which i liked better so i bought it.
Its got 320k on the clock but fairly straight body and the test drive was good.
Im a carpenter so will make some storage unit out of ply and carry all my tools which should help with the leaf springs .
Cheers M
Ps cost me 4k

Last edited:
Hi. Nice to see someone else from Brisbane. Where in Brisbane are you? I'm in Pullenvale.

We're practically next door im in Upper Brookfield. What truck do you have ?

A black 95 series Prado (brought over from the UK). If you see a Prado in/around Kenmore shops that looks like it is solar powered, that's me.

Just arrived in brisbane yesterday myself- staying in forest lake area. Have a 4.2 non turbo 80 to get on the rd for my brother in law and should be getting a Holden pickup to bounce around in. Umm I guess that's a cousin of the frontera!

I'm nearer Brisbane than Sydney... so add me in. If you guy fancy a run to the South let us know... I can come North as well.

got an upgrade from a holden to a hilux today..yes yes yes:thumbup:

Back