Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi from Canada

Crushers

Hi, My name is Wayne and i have an addiction.
It started 30 years ago when i visted my sister that lived in Calgary Alberta. I was introduced to the Rocky Mountains and the beauty they contained.
2 weeks later i moved 4000 km to live in Calgary and a year later i bought my first Land Cruiser. Actually it was a toss up between a Land Cruiser and a Land Rover. I knew absolutely nothing about either but chose the Land Cruiser due to the big round fenders ... imagine that :oops:
I traded an old ford car for my first FJ55 with a chev V8 under the hood. I drove the FJ55 home from Lethbridge but it didn't make Calgary before throwing a rod through the block resulting in a tow from a Jeep.
I saved up and put a new short block 350 under the bonnet but it blew up 6 months later so that was the end of my V8 Land Cruiser history.
a couple months later i bought my first 1971 FJ40. Removed the top and doors that weekend and headed for the mountains, i was hooked ... badly.
but
sadly i blew the bottom end out by fall and i tore the truck down to a bare frame to rebuild it back to like new condition usings Spector Offroad as my parts source. I totaled up the cost of the parts and it came in at $7500. i was shocked and depressed.
I headed off to work that Monday and one of the salesmen approached me cause he HAD to sell his 82 BJ42 and buy an american vehicle ... company policy. His loss was my gain, so in 1985 i had my first diesel 40 series with 95K on it and in PERFECT shape. sadly, i had no idea what i had just bought and i beat the crap out of it over the next 4 years.
At the same time i had scoured the book stores for ANY information about Land Cruisers and created a binder of facts, stories, trip reports, modifications ... anything i could use to expand my knowledge.
when i blew the t/case out of the BJ42 i priced out the replacement from Toyota and ... well ... i couldn't afford the price on $8/hr and raising a family with a mortgage as well ...
so ...
that started my Cruiser buying addiction, i bought Cruisers, would wheel them for a few weeks/months then strip them for parts. this also allowed me to see how to interchange parts between the different models, how to modify to make them work and my knowledge kept growing. :thumbup:
In 1993 a gent started up a Cruiser company and a buddy of mine talked me into going to see his shop. in short, he was a crook and a butcher of Cruisers. I mentioned this to him (i have never been accused of having tact) and he told me to leave and not come back. :think:

a few months later he moved his shop to a new location and to give him the benefit of the doubt i visited it again at my buddies request. yes, it was a beautiful shop. yes, he was rolling in the money and yes, he was still a crook and a butcher ... once again i told him that "Cruiserheads are coming to you trusting that you will look after their babies. They don't deserve to be ripped off". (you can see where that got me) It was at that time that i informed him that someone will start another Cruiser shop and put him out of business, well, that person was me. I went home and talked it over with the wife and put an add in the local rag "Cruiser expert, willing to wrench on your truck" or something like that. 2 weeks later the phone was ringing off the hook and now i didn't have a life. A month later and that gent called me to sell me all his Cruiser parts since "I never like working on those vehicles".
Crushersrule Inc was born.

I have been wrenching, owning, importing Cruisers ever since.

sorry to ramble on.
I do hope i can be a benefit to this site.

cheers
Wayne Smith
Tara Ontario Canada.

BTW, if anyone wants to help me figure out how to upload a pic from the computor feel free to fill me in.

Hi and welcome to the club - I'm sure you'll be a great addition to our already great font of knowledge!

For pics, best to stick them on photobucket or similar, then post a link here using the '
' tags - much easier in the long run - we try to minimise our server use and bandwidth 'coz it's all borrowed stuff :lol:

i will try to load and link, thanks

it is a nice way to earn a living, i look forward to each morning as i walk from home to work 45 sec away. I do mostly custom one-off exotic Cruiser builds now but i still wrench now and then when i get a break.

Crushers said:
i will try to load and link, thanks

it is a nice way to earn a living, i look forward to each morning as i walk from home to work 45 sec away. I do mostly custom one-off exotic Cruiser builds now but i still wrench now and then when i get a break.
Er, have you ever considered migrating to the UK, we need people like you. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
to live in Ireland, Scotland or Britian, the lands of my heritage, would be really cool ...
but
i might be a bit redneck to fit in. :oops:

Crushers said:
to live in Ireland, Scotland or Britian, the lands of my heritage, would be really cool ...
but Imight be a bit redneck to fit in. :oops:
Nah! you should see some of our fellow members, meet Chas & Chris :lol: :lol:

redneck.jpg

Cossack said:
Crushers said:
but Imight be a bit redneck to fit in. :oops:
Nah! you should see some of our fellow members, meet Chas & Chris :lol: :lol:

redneck.jpg

I remember that pic! You two looked good back then!

Welcome Wayne. Sounds like you have had an interesting journey into the world of Land Cruisers.

thanks for the welcome guys.
when i started up Crushersrule i was also holding down a full time job as a cabinet maker doing finish carpentry in highend homes. after a year of trying to keep both full time businesses active i came to realize that i was not being fair to both trade customers, i needed to make a decision. i approached the wife (at the time) and asked what she recommended and to my surprise she told me to persue the Land Cruiser business since i could go back to finish carpentry any time.

in 2000 i met my next wife when she approached me to build her a custom BJ42 to replace her dying Toyota Corolla. as the build progressed the first marriage ended. at the time i had no interest in being married again, getting divorced in Canada is a VERY expensive endevor for males.
but
as fate would have it, my next wife liked the BJ42 so much she decided to marry the mechanic.
in 2001 i had a deal with a gent to build him a FJ45 in exchange for a RHD import from Japan. sadly the deal went sour so i approached my new wife with the idea of starting up an importing business for Land Cruisers. My wife and i started www.luxuryimports.ca in that year. This would allow me to offer options to my customers since many of them were dropping huge coin in restoring old rusted high mileage 60s and 70s. they could invest in their babies if they owned and had a bond with their cruisers or if they were newbie Cruiserheads they could own a low km, rust free, really clean unit from Japan for the same or less than what they were about to invest.
in 2008 the RHD importing into Canada was at it's peak and Jimmy Patersion (a big name in Canadian Auto Dealers) was livid since it was cutting into his used car sales so he appoached CCMTA (the umbrella organization) to put a stop to the imports. Transport Canada, a member of CCMTA, voluteered to appoach the government to change the 15 year importation rule to 25 years. this would all but kill the importing business.
I took the lead in fighting this injustice and started www.ivoac.ca in retailiation. from our humble beginnings we fought with transport canada and we won the battle.
sadly, the war was not over. it was at that time that the insurance industry stepped up to the plate. the insurance industry in Canada is also part of the CCMTA. in 2010 Quebec put a ban on registration of RHD in that province which is still in effect today. insurance in Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, and the maritimes is difficult or impossible to find unless you want to pay 2X to 4X a normal premium.
in July of this year all 5 of my RHD Land Cruisers had their policies revoked. I have 15 years accident free and ticket free as does my wife. the reason is because they are RHD.
fortunately i found a company that will insure them for a reasonable fee.

what is curious is that when 2008 was over the market for RHD in Canada was flooded. the market didn't die because of a threatened ban, it didn't die because of insurance woes, it died because those that wanted them now had them.

while i was importing i was still building exotic land cruisers and today that is my main source of joy. i am semi retired and will probably be till i pass on.

so that is my history with the Land Cruiser addiction. i do hope it was entertaining to read.

cheers
Wayne

welcome to the forum Wayne. :thumbup:

thanks for sharing all that with us, very interesting. from what ive seen of your work, rebuilding that 70series troopy, im very impressed. :clap:

would love to see some pics of the other cruisers youve built. :pray:

Ben,
still trying to figure out how to load them to another site.
i am not that computator savy, it took me a while to learn on Mud ...
can someone send me a link to a site that allows ample storage and ease of application?
www.crushersrule.com has some refurbishments that i did back in the 90s. pretty crude i will agree. interestingly i have watched the owners of these units still driving them a dozen or more years later...

i have a LHD 70 that will be getting refubished once the troopie is completed. i will do a thread here on LCC once i get going.

cheers and thanks for the welcome.

Back