Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi from new 120 owner

Alistair120

Country Flag
uk
Hi everyone

I'm Alistair from near Cheadle, Staffordshire. Recently bought myself an 04 LC3 120. My dad has owned 80 series for years, decided now is the time I got myself a cruiser.

Originally I wanted a d4d colorado (wanted something a bit better on juice than an 80, I was coming from a Seat Ibiza!) but after weeks of searching for a low mileage manual without finding much I gave up and started looking at 120's, and bought a mint 6 speed manual 120 with 88k on.

Very happy with it so far.

Welcome. Why the want for a 90 over a 120? I did not think they made a manual version of a 90?

Thanks guys. And hello brother ; )

They definitely made a manual 90, just not many about. The want for a 90 was mainly due to price, a mint low miler 120 was a lot more than I wanted to spend. But I was struggling to find a 90, started looking at 120s. Then l found they made a 6 speed (something my dad always wished they'd done on the 80) and had to have one.

The six speed must be a lot better. I had the 5 speed and at 70/80 I felt it could have done with another gear.

Many happy miles in it.

Now - going to leave it as stock or a few tweaks here and there? :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can only compare it to the 5 speed 80 really, but it feels much happier at 70/80, makes motorway driving a lot nicer.

Thanks. A few tweaks yes, mainly been doing maintenance since I got it but I fitted some wind deflectors today, an A bar and an asfir ally sump guard are on my list.

an A bar and an asfir ally sump guard are on my list.
That's a good start. :)

If you're going to swap the tyres at any point don't bother with the dunlops. They get eaten very quickly on the 12o. :(

Hi,

Welcome to the 120's.

At one point there was interest in sorting out a group buy on ghe asfir guards... if that were to happen I am still in.

Personally, love the auto box on the 120. It really goes well. Prefer the manual on the 105 :)

Ok I'll bear that in mind Crispin. It's got Coopers on at the moment, they seem pretty good.

Thanks. A group buy on the ally guards sounds good, I'd definitely be in if one were to happen.

It's just personal preference really on the gearbox isn't it, I've just never been a fan of auto boxes myself. The only auto cruiser I've driven is a 4.5 petrol 80, the box on that had a mind of it's own...

Welcome along Alistar, I'm surprised you are a fan if the "pedal and stick" arrangement over the autobox, I can't think of any advantage perhaps a slight fuel consumption advantage. Heavy traffic, stop start etc highlights all the disadvantages of the former.This is probably why manuals are hard to find but hey ho everyone to their own.
BTW a D4D Collie in general isn't hardly better than a 24V 80 on fuel either on a long journey or knocking about ( in my experience)

Thanks Gerry and Andy :grinning:

It's mainly the lack of control that I don't like on the auto boxes, how they like to change down unnecessarily on hills and scream the revs up for no reason. I agree the auto is better in traffic, but I don't commute far so don't find myself in it often.

My dad has a 24v 80 (manual of course :smirk:) and it is very good on fuel for a 4.2. Low mile minty ones fetch a small fortune though, and as I don't do any towing I decided a 120 was a enough for me. I'll see how the 120 compares to it.

Back