Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi from Stoke

SteveJo

Country Flag
uk
Hi,looking forward to meeting you all, have been into off roading/laning for a few years with land rovers, getting more into overlanding now and have a well kitted out trailer.

Looking to buy a SWB diesel, still on the hunt for the right one, my knowledge of cruisers is very limited so any help you give would be great.

Steve.

Hi Steve, welcome to the friendliest forum I know on Landcruisers.

With your trailer and desire for a short wheelbase Diesel I expect Shayne will be a good source of info for you.

Don't forget to post up some pictures after the magic 15 posts, even if it's just the trailer for the time being. [emoji4][emoji4]

Last edited:
Hi Steve i run a swb Colorado and have not long returned from a 5000 mile trip to Romania towing a fold out camper with 33" tyres on it .

Curious to know why a swb is your preference but if it is a 3.0L is what you want .

Last edited:
Hi Steve,
I'm just a bit north of you, welcome to the forum.....

Welcome to the forum SteveJo, lets hope you land a good one and get right into the Cruiser "thing" :thumbup:

Hi Steve i run a swb Colorado and have not long returned from a 5000 mile trip to Romania towing a fold out camper with 33" tyres on it .

Curious to know why a swb is your preference but if it is a 3.0L is what you want .

Hi Shayne
My reasoning for a SWB mainly is down to size/weight because we tow a trailer the majority of stuff we need is on their so SWB saves a little weight and don’t need the storage, also I prefer how they look.

Just need to find the right cruiser SWB seem in short supply.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I agree 100% that they look better but the size/weight thing plays no part in it , it seems you like the 90 series LC so lwb V swb is about 16" difference in length which doesn't weigh much so fuel consumption is about the same . So with the benefit of hindsight would i have chosen a lwb over a swb ? . Much depends on what you want from the truck and what modifications you have planned .

My truck is first and foremost my daily driver , it was bought for that purpose alone , then i decided the wheels looked too small and in my search for what will fit found this forum . I've since added a 2" body lift and 2" suspension lift -38 offset wheels with 285/75 r 16 mud tyres plus a few other things which turned it into my daily driver come weekend mudplugging warrior . The trailer followed because the mrs doesn't like tents very much .

Thanks for that, just one other thing would there be much difference MPG wise between LWB 4.2L compared to a SWB 3L?

Good question and i can only guess it might be very similar depending on what weight you are towing and what modifications either truck have :think: Ram was following me on the 5000 mile trip in an unmodified 80 , i think but i'm not sure the 80 has a bigger fuel tank and i would say our fuel stops were pretty evenly matched , but i wouldn't trust my own guesswork as if i filled up once more than him that's obviously a full tanks difference in mpg . Also my trucks not exactly standard engine wise so claims back some of the juice lost by adding big wheels .

A 2001/2002 90/95 series will have a d4d engine more power and better mpg .

Thanks for the info, I suppose its all about what vehicle comes along and its age/condition/spec and of course cost will keep looking.

Thanks again.

attachment.php

This is what i took to Romania and i would guess my truck has similar power to the newer engined collie and a bit more torque than it .

Thanks gg it is indeed and i wonder if in my attempt to be impartial while urging SteveJo to ask himself the right questions i have steered him away from swb , perhaps i should add that i am happy with what i have and the only minor problem i ran into on the maiden voyage was deciding to sleep in the truck as we were tired , my headlights were useless and we had no navigation . Unfortunately the next stop to present itself turned out to be a very busy truck station with supermarkets and cafes and god knows what else , suffice to say we were lucky to find parking bays not less than 100 yards apart and i got into mine via a route that turned more than a few heads so the trailer wasn't in the parking lot at all :whistle:
I hadn't planned for this so despite the fact the swb is designed so you can remove headrests push front seats fully forward and fold all the seats back to make two full length beds (i'm about 6ft tall) it wasn't a comfortable night . Couldn't get the bedding out of the trailer and had no extra room to move all the stuff such as dirty washing and tools etc that had been stored in the truck without consequence until then so we couldn't put the seats down properly anyway . A lesson learned is all i won't be swapping my truck because of it .

Back