Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi new here but 11yr 80s owner now a 100 owner

Gaz555

Well after owning my 80 gx manual 4.2td for 11yrs and thinking about swapping to a 100 for a while i did it.Sold the 80 and bought my 100 vx 4.2td auto with active air or should i say unactive air.
The 100 is in good mechanical condition apart from the suspension needing sorting.Body work a little shabby but i bought it at the right price really.
The spheres are shot and also a sensor possibly so im shedding the ahc for standard setup.
Ive gone for Bilstein b6 rear shocks .standard front OEM shocks.
Still to order rear springs but will be going with standard height uprated .
Finally i will replace torsion bars with the pedder uprated version (see how it is first).
Last of all i might fit billys on the front too but see how Oem are first.

Last edited:
Hi Gaz, great intro, I'm guessing you are in the UK?? Interestingly I have a Hundie with standard steel suspension and I love it. The ride is a good height but oh so much more comfortable than the AHC setup. Maybe find a breaker with the standard GX ( same as mine) Springs and torsion bars and some OEM dampers and try them. The fact mine was a VX without AHC was the deal breaker for me and I had made up my mind in the first 15 sec .

Hi Gaz, great intro, I'm guessing you are in the UK?? Interestingly I have a Hundie with standard steel suspension and I love it. The ride is a good height but oh so much more comfortable than the AHC setup. Maybe find a breaker with the standard GX ( same as mine) Springs and torsion bars and some OEM dampers and try them. The fact mine was a VX without AHC was the deal breaker for me and I had made up my mind in the first 15 sec .

Hi Andy.il be buying new springs due to unknown history of second hand gear.I presume the hdj80 rear springs will fit my fj100 ?
Ive been looking and i wouldnt want to purchase fj100 springs if they are to suit to the ahc system.

100 series VX springs fit AHC, GX 100 series springs will fit yours but GX dont have AHC so take all the weight and have standard Dampers ( not expensive OEM). Thats the same as mine, torsion bars and dampers on the front, coil springs on the back, no pipes spheres or wires.
I wouldn't presume that 80 springs fit but they might.I would think if they fit they might be different spring rates.
There will hopefully be someone more knowledgeable than me who can answer the Q on that subject.

Yes Andy ,if i go for gx spec 100 coils that will be just right imho Toyota shouldnt have fitted AHC in the first place a complete waste of time and owners money.
Im speaking from experience ,the suspension on the 80 was first class 11yrs and 100k miles and never once did i even have to look at any part of the suspension on top of that a very nice sure footed ride perfect.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just an idea, if you need a chassis no to get exactly what I have suspension wise PM me and you can use mine if you are buying from Toyota.

This item on ebay i have been advised is for a 100 non ahc.231772709921 but i dont know the brand i can use pedder springs at approx double the price.Il probably go with the pedder ones .

I just checked .the pedder springs are 72.00 each which ever height you choose.
790mm standard
805mm
815mm
Uprated Torsion bars are £200.00
So il deffinately be choosing the pedder springs.Im unsure to go standard or lift now lol.

I just checked .the pedder springs are 72.00 each which ever height you choose.
790mm standard
805mm
815mm
Uprated Torsion bars are £200.00
So il deffinately be choosing the pedder springs.Im unsure to go standard or lift now lol.

I suppose it depends on how much you anticipate loading it up. The standard non AHC suspension gives the best ride of any Cruiser I've driven if comfort is a consideration ( and I've driven the lot from a 40 to a 200) . If you go uprated, ie higher spring rates its the one thing you will compromise.
JMO as an owner of a non AHC Hundie.

Yep ,my normal use isnt heavy but sometimes i go to the cash and carry wholesalers and fill the back up with drinks and it really does sit down like the front goes light :) .
Ive a few weeks to decide yet.

Probably not air bags.il enquire about spring rate when i buy them.Standard uprated or just standard probably .

Back