Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

High Altitude Escapade !

TL75

Country Flag
pakistan
HI all,

I wanted share my experience travelling in one of the highest roads in the world on my LC 79. It’s awesome, I travelled through the Hindukush mountain range then the Himalayas and the Karakoram. Visited the Khunjraab Pass one of the highest paved roads , at 4600 meters respectively, then travelled through Deosai world’s second highest plateau , mostly off-roading in the meadows in the , Deosai is at an altitude of 4100 meters . Drove through Babusar Pass again a high mountain pass at 4170 Meters with steep gradients and long stretches. That really tested the LC. Finally drove through one of the world’s highest deserts, which is the cold desert in Skardu. All of this was in Pakistan.

All in all it was a brilliant experience, I mostly camped and went off road to a lot of remote locations since I do photography. Anyway Relevant to this forum I must say I was very happy with the LC. However here are some observations I thought would be help full for you all who plan to take long trips on the LC at high altitudes. So following are some tips and observations. Which I am sure you all know but never hurts to share some info.

Turbos generally don’t like High altitude above 3000 meters, they are air (oxygen) hungry which is less than normal at that altitude. I noticed my EGT’s were running high at long steep gradients and holding a constant RPM does not help (even if it’s only 1800 in D2), so one needs to push it and let it go so the turbo sucks in enough air so what happens is that the EGT’s spike but will go down quickly as well. It’s something you learn quickly if you have the egt and boost gauge installed. I saw a lot of other vehicles heating up because they were pushing too hard and their radiators boiled over.

Every kilo you add to your luggage matters, pack wisely, we feel we have a lot of power which we do but the weight has its toll.

Aerodynamics matter. When you pack stuff on the roof rack. Try packing it keeping in mind the air flow. The 79 is a box, lol, as it isn’t the most aero dynamic. : p

When you add all of this up you will observe a difference in the performance and fuel economy. By ignoring these factors you will at some point heat up the engine by pushing it too far.

All in all faithful 79 didn’t let me down, but then again I took it easy on her since I was loaded to the maximum. Will try and post some pics here as well.

Hope this info helps, if anyone has questions regarding the above I would be glad to answer.

My 79 is an auto with a 1Kz-Te. I drove almost a total of 3000 km’s .
I am also going to attach the panoramic view , that I shot at Babusar top just for kicks :)

Regards

TL
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
IMG-20170814-WA0002.jpg

:text-+1:On all the above, very informative!

Not many of get the chance at high altitudes, the highest I can go here is about 1800m and the mountains peak at max 2400m but the tracks at the very top are restricted.

Great post, more photos please, if you can:thumbup:

Brilliant post and photos
Highest I have driven is about 2800m in Alps

What a great trip. Would love to visit the Karakorum area. Perhaps one day!! The scenery is fantastic, thanks for posting.
Just imagine the adventure - it would probably take months to drive there and back.
Would have to kit out the 60 first.
Might start a list !

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Brillant post TL thanks for posting. Sounds like an awesome route, one i'd love to do. Do you have a blog/ website? Love to see some more photos of the trip - even the non LC ones.

N

Great truck and post there. As above we want more of your fantastic pics. :) Thanks for posting.

Just a very minor comment TL, I note your Cruiser is a 79 Auto, but in you signature, you say it's a 78.

I don't know the difference, as an 80 owner, but it seems a shame to misnamed the old girl, she's done you proud on this trip, and will do on many more to come!

It's clear that you love and respect the truck, you know its foibles and characteristics, and look after her very well. So a quick edit of your signature may be in order.

Happy and safe travels, TL.... :thumbup:

Fantastic photos and brought back some hazy happy memories.
I travelled a lot there in the early 90's mainly on the public transport (Landcruisers of course)
I remember the driver lit a small fire under his sump as a preheater, they would just turn and turn and not fire for ages and then suddenly burst into life. What a truly beautiful part of the world.
I met a French girl at Passu peak who rode to Pakistan on a 50cc scooter from Paris ..... we trekked to Rakaposhi and Nanga Parbat together and crossed the Khyber pass into Afghanistan after being guests of honour at the Gilgit - Chitral annual polo game. Thinking back we were actually insane and it explains why my knees ache.

Fantastic photos and brought back some hazy happy memories.
I travelled a lot there in the early 90's mainly on the public transport (Landcruisers of course)
I remember the driver lit a small fire under his sump as a preheater, they would just turn and turn and not fire for ages and then suddenly burst into life. What a truly beautiful part of the world.
I met a French girl at Passu peak who rode to Pakistan on a 50cc scooter from Paris ..... we trekked to Rakaposhi and Nanga Parbat together and crossed the Khyber pass into Afghanistan after being guests of honour at the Gilgit - Chitral annual polo game. Thinking back we were actually insane and it explains why my knees ache.

Brilliant.

Owen

Back