Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

High Mileage 80 series, is it worth it?

[/QUO these trucks are lots more money over on the continent, €15 to €25 thousands in France, and similar in Germany!! ( my friend Jacques has bought one recently for €24.5k) so perhaps we have better value here?
best regards to all, Bill Westley[/QUOTE]

Spot on Bill, right this moment I can take you to a 1990 first year model, retrofitted A/C, no axle locks, smaller brakes and you can have it for a mere 9000 euros!

regards

Dave

Getting fed up with trying to find a reasonable manual 80 for sensible money.

Seen a few above 200k milers that I could buy and spend a few quid doing them up. I am a bit weary of buying bangers and spending more on them than a mint truck in the long run!

I know these are tough trucks but would like to find out from those that have some experience of them how much it would cost to rebuild a 4.2 24v diesel lump?

I know there are other things that could go wrong but I have a rough idea of what the big bits cost to put right.

Cheers[/QUO
Hi, I have a high miler, but really it's been like Triggers broom, could say I've paid for the previous owners bad maintenance, rebuilt engine, £2k, turbo, £forget, rebuilt pump and injectors , and I suppose more, hope to have a rebuild on the auto box very soon, BUT, that's a big but BTW, I have done nearly 200k miles myself, if I put the cost of buying the truck, plus the cost of everything else it's less than half price of lots of 4x4s that I never wanted, so, it worked for me, I know the disappointment of having problems, but now the vehicle is up to a very high spec. Newer seats on the list, probably go for Merc, they're comfy.
200k miles is a lot of fun, and i feel I've had my money's worth, (324 on the clock now)
My good friend has a lovely G wagon, cost £plenty, overall more than double of mine, has a real fear of theft, here and abroad, result, he fancies an 80,
if you have a budget for repairs, I feel the advice given by others on this forum is try to find the least molested you can but do the remedial work first, and I agree with that. I might be worth noting these trucks are lots more money over on the continent, €15 to €25 thousands in France, and similar in Germany!! ( my friend Jacques has bought one recently for €24.5k) so perhaps we have better value here?
best regards to all, Bill Westley

so whats the mileage on ya truck now?!:icon-biggrin:

so whats the mileage on ya truck now?!:icon-biggrin:

Hi, she has 324k miles, and rising, but as I said, it's triggers broom, by the time I have the auto box sorted, the transfer case changed ( I have one) it's only the rear diff that's not been rebuilt, but what I have done in the last seven years of ownership is every time I replace something I try to uprate the component, not always possible, but I hope to get to a time when the bucket list is done. There are companies that totally refurbish these vehicles around the world, so the demand is there, and if we compare what has to paid for newer 4x4 these trucks are expensive, but in real money not so, why? Because a replacement is not available, I suppose a 105 does, but how many are available? They're not!! Land Rover owners cheerfully rebuild their old sheds into half decent trucks, I think if we want to be 80 owners and drivers we will have to do similar. Because all are getting older and higher mileage, But for us we have a better end result.
good hunting!!( I know, I have a couple) Best regards to all, Bill Westley

Hi, she has 324k miles, and rising, but as I said, it's triggers broom, by the time I have the auto box sorted, the transfer case changed ( I have one) it's only the rear diff that's not been rebuilt, but what I have done in the last seven years of ownership is every time I replace something I try to uprate the component, not always possible, but I hope to get to a time when the bucket list is done. There are companies that totally refurbish these vehicles around the world, so the demand is there, and if we compare what has to paid for newer 4x4 these trucks are expensive, but in real money not so, why? Because a replacement is not available, I suppose a 105 does, but how many are available? They're not!! Land Rover owners cheerfully rebuild their old sheds into half decent trucks, I think if we want to be 80 owners and drivers we will have to do similar. Because all are getting older and higher mileage, But for us we have a better end result.
good hunting!!( I know, I have a couple) Best regards to all, Bill Westley
damn fine mileage! i know what you mean about replacements. i just dont think i'd go for a 100 series at this point. they appear to be more rust prone that the 80. there are many 105s, id hazard a guess and say most 100 series landcruisers are 105 due to UN, australian/new zealand/south african fleet vehicles. in fact, i know a guy who has one. theyre just expensive to import from Oz.

my lc80 has 225k, barely run in... everything is original except the clutch and gearbox, which was rebuilt.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back