Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

High Mileage 80 series, is it worth it?

kamaangir

Country Flag
iran
Getting fed up with trying to find a reasonable manual 80 for sensible money.

Seen a few above 200k milers that I could buy and spend a few quid doing them up. I am a bit weary of buying bangers and spending more on them than a mint truck in the long run!

I know these are tough trucks but would like to find out from those that have some experience of them how much it would cost to rebuild a 4.2 24v diesel lump?

I know there are other things that could go wrong but I have a rough idea of what the big bits cost to put right.

Cheers

Between 5-6k, nothing wrong with a high miler as long as it's been regularly oil serviced, your going to struggle to find a minter

You may struggle to find a full cost for that based on the handful of people who have ever had to do it. Both my 80s have over 200k on them and they fly. They don't smoke, start on the touch and don't use any oil or water. Look at Franks strip down. You could still see honing marks in the cylinders. Overhaul of an IP now that's worth costing maybe. But rebuilding a 24v? Pretty unlikely. A replacement to drop in is currently around the £1700 - £2000 last time I looked.

Out of interest what is the going rate for a rebuild of the injectors and injector pump?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A rebuild cost will obviously depend on what bits are replaced. A relatively simple strip and rebuild with new bearings and maybe a bore hone and new rings would be do-able cost wise. Start looking at a rebore and new pistons, crank regrinding, cams etc.etc it could cost more than the whole vehicle is worth. As said, a good used motor swap would be the way to go. The engines are probably the strongest part of the whole 80 series (12v BEB's aside). Gearboxes, both manual and auto give more trouble, as do diffs and CV's and obviously the chassis and bodywork will rot just like any other vehicle but generally, if the engine doesn't smoke excessively, use/lose fluids and has no abnormal noises it will be OK. JMO

If you plan to purchase to keep for long term forget the mileage, look for an example with minimal rust and a decent interior, mechanicals can be repaired/replaced as you go. Trim in good shape seems harder to source and rust/bodywork can be expensive if repaired correctly.

Mine has well over 200k and apart from the transfer box breaking which I am sure I did not help with racing in the 'Ramblas' (River beds to you) I think mine is still in good shape. The gearbox was reluctant during the 3 - 2 shift but double declutching comes naturally once you have done it awhile. I replace the GB and TB tomorrow with reconditioned items but am told the GB may still be difficult as it is a common complaint.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the suggestions and advice, this is the one that caught my eye, there is a bit of rust under the rear window but the rest looks reasonable. I want a UK spec (difflocks) manual 24v in black or blue (silver at a push) don't like green vehicles and having had a burgundy surf I can tell you that its the worst colour for lacquer peel!

you may say well what does it matter what colour it is, its a truck, but I have wanted one for so long and life is too short blah blah blah.....

That one looks a bit tired. Take it from someone who has made a lot of very disappointing trips to look at 'really mint first to see will buy' 80's.

Just be aware there is a queue for i owner from new, dealer maintained, £30k miles, blues ones. It's actually specifically mentioned in the Magna Carta and Doomsday book. :lol:

And I know the bloke at the front of the queue. Ha ha.

Mine was a one owner serviced from new but had a lot of miles and needed some overhaul work. The second owner guessed he could not afford to run it after owning it for a week and I became the third owner, and yes I wanted a Red and ended up with a Green which I did not particularly like, trust me it does grow on you......a bit.

BTW, how Chris can see me from that far back down the queue I just do not know? :lol:

regards

Dave

Arf Arf.

I've got a green one too and I like it. Grey interior though. Not baby-s**t brown

I am not unreasonable, I don't mind the tired interior as I have plans for the seats, (fit some from a 100 series or a lexus). Body rust is not that big a deal as I will be going to Eastern Europe this summer and can get it done over there for a reasonable price.

I am a bit suspicious as its been for sale for more than a week at a pretty low price.

Arf Arf.

I've got a green one too and I like it. Grey interior though. Not baby-s**t brown

Yep, got the Grey cloth which is warm in winter and cool in summer. The Green does look nice when polished and in the sun, everyone I ask seems to like it, I am thinking about taking some of my kids inheritance and spending it on a re-spray! On no wait...I just spent it on the running gear! :lol:

regards

Dave

My bed time prayers consist of being preserved from buying a green or red car, however this one does not look bad:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ars/4l_to_4-9l/radius/1500/usedcars?logcode=p

someone has made a mess of the bonnet trying to repair it with filler. there is also weird paint peeling on the driver side rear quarter panel, where it should say "turbo" and the leather is hanging on by a thread on the steering wheel. id be interested in how it looks underneath...

I dont think the very late ones had a turbo sticker fitted.

I cannot remember the amount of 'immaculate' 80's I have travelled to visit both here, France and the UK, get plenty of (good)pictures before you spend money travelling. Glad to hear your expectations are not too high....less distance to fall.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Getting fed up with trying to find a reasonable manual 80 for sensible money.

Seen a few above 200k milers that I could buy and spend a few quid doing them up. I am a bit weary of buying bangers and spending more on them than a mint truck in the long run!

I know these are tough trucks but would like to find out from those that have some experience of them how much it would cost to rebuild a 4.2 24v diesel lump?

I know there are other things that could go wrong but I have a rough idea of what the big bits cost to put right.

Cheers[/QUO
Hi, I have a high miler, but really it's been like Triggers broom, could say I've paid for the previous owners bad maintenance, rebuilt engine, £2k, turbo, £forget, rebuilt pump and injectors , and I suppose more, hope to have a rebuild on the auto box very soon, BUT, that's a big but BTW, I have done nearly 200k miles myself, if I put the cost of buying the truck, plus the cost of everything else it's less than half price of lots of 4x4s that I never wanted, so, it worked for me, I know the disappointment of having problems, but now the vehicle is up to a very high spec. Newer seats on the list, probably go for Merc, they're comfy.
200k miles is a lot of fun, and i feel I've had my money's worth, (324 on the clock now)
My good friend has a lovely G wagon, cost £plenty, overall more than double of mine, has a real fear of theft, here and abroad, result, he fancies an 80,
if you have a budget for repairs, I feel the advice given by others on this forum is try to find the least molested you can but do the remedial work first, and I agree with that. I might be worth noting these trucks are lots more money over on the continent, €15 to €25 thousands in France, and similar in Germany!! ( my friend Jacques has bought one recently for €24.5k) so perhaps we have better value here?
best regards to all, Bill Westley

Back