Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

High revs

GDJ

Country Flag
wales
Hi,

I took a 2006 diesel auto out for a test drive on Saturday, with a view to buying it. Standard UK spec car running 275/60 18 tyres. It seemed to be revving on the high side. Reading the speedometer and rev counter it was running at 3000 rpm @ 70 mph so approx. 23 mph/1000 rpm. The gear changes were very smooth up and down the box.

Can anyone tell me why it should be revving so high? I have my suspicions but I'd rather not prejudice anyone's answer.

What revs should a diesel five speed auto 100 series be doing at 70mph or 100km/hr if you are in Europe?

It's looking as though I'll be keeping my 80 series for a while longer (212,000 miles and going very well.)

Many thanks, Gareth.

Hopefully someone with a 2006(ish) five-speed Auto will be along soon.

I have a 2001 100 VX with the older four-speed Auto box. It does about 2,200 rpm at 70. It will get to 3,000 rpm if I hold it in 3rd (i.e. 'Overdrive Off' selected).

I don't know much about the later 100s but it sounds as though you were actually in 4th gear. Does it have the equivalent of 'Overdrive Off' or a 'PWR button' to hold the revs up for towing/performance ??

Welcome to the site.

Bob.

Thanks for the reply and your welcome Bob,

The gear selector was set to D. Whilst there are two buttons to the right of the selector, its a "J" pattern stepped gate; both of them were in the "off" position. Setting them to the "on" position resulted in a light illuminating on the dash.

I'm also of the opinion that it was only changing up and down through the first four gears as fifth gear acts as a generous "overdrive" and fourth is 1 : 1.

If anyone else can shed light on this I'd apprecaite it and I'll bear it in mind when I test drive another one.

Gareth.

Know I am a bit late but it might help someone else. I Have an 03 petrol v8 5 speed manual, at 70 mph in 5th gear it is doing 3000 rpm

Back