Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HJ61 Body-off Rebuild project

So the chassis is off to the blaster. I hop to get it back in about a week.

On the issue with the fuel line, I'm thinking to give it a try, and use the somewhat smaller return line.

Another issue I have to figure out are the shocks. As the old ones were worn out I need 4 new ones. Any suggestions over here? Terrain-taimer, OME, stock?
I'll be re-using my OME springs.

thnx

Time for an update:

The 4 days befor Lincomb we spent some time laning in Wales with Iwan. We had a few great trips, left a car stuck in the field overnight, did some wild camping on got to lincomb. Unfortunately we were delayed by a day since one of the cars got into an accident. Lukily Iwan and Matt came to the rescue, and the wreck of the 70 was repatriated to his property.

IMG_4022.JPG

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4075.JPG
Good opertunity to give the newly developed rear bumper with swing away a good practice test!

IMG_4109.JPG
compared to our earlier trips, it was real dusty!!! :icon-cool:

IMG_4145.JPG

Back to the project:

IMG_4148.JPG
Chassis is back from the blaster. With the primer allready on, things have to be handled with care from now on.
Difficult to get into the shop on my own, in one piece :icon-wink:

IMG_4151.JPG
Sanded the primer with P180

IMG_4152.JPG
Applying a first layer of Brantho Corrux. By using red, it gave me more contrast on the black primer.

IMG_4155.JPG
After a days drying, time for a second layer.

IMG_4158.JPG
I'm real pleased how the rear end turned out. Downside is that I haven't figured out how to install a towing bar, since all holes have been welded shut :icon-cool::think::think:. Worry's for later.

IMG_4156.JPG
Finished brake lines on the front axle.

IMG_4157.JPG
Got me some new 120mm shackles :thumbup:.

Next up is a third layer of coating, and then we can finally start building her up. Get the axles on, fuel and brake lines, get the motor and tranny in................... and about 429 other things before we can give it a spin :icon-biggrin:

I'll keep you posted!

I had a few days off from work, so I made some progress!

IMG_4159.JPG
After the third layer on the chassis I gave it one day to dry out, befor it carefully started assembling the axles. I left some finger prints on the chassis, as it was a day too early :icon-wink:

IMG_4160.JPG
'Do it once, so do it right' So it got some new 120mm shackles.

IMG_4161.JPG
Front axle and steering housing fitted

IMG_4163.JPG
I had to get it outside to swap it around in order to install the engine assembly later

IMG_4165.JPG

IMG_4166.JPG
There she goes...

IMG_4167.JPG
And she's in :thumbup: :icon-cool:

IMG_4177.JPG
Today I made my 1" body lift. I started with solid 70mm round bar, and cut them to 25mm slices followed by 11mm holes in the middle, using a mill.

IMG_4179.JPG
The exhaust is almost fitted. I found some brackets that I forgot to clean and paint, so I'll have to wait to fit it completely.
Started thinking the past few days about making a 3" stainless exaust :think:. It should improve both power and torque.... any ideas on this matter?

I'll keep you posted!

Hi Jente it's looking good it's a big :thumbup: from tonytoyota thanks for the pics.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi all,

It's been a while since my last update. I've been away for work, and was just too lazy to post an update when I got home :shhh:

But, progress is there:

IMG_3915.JPG

IMG_3916.JPG
Body lift painted and treated with vaseline

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3922.JPG

IMG_3923.JPG
Looked good. I had a bit of play on some mounts, but after tightening the bolts all came together without excessive force.

IMG_3934.JPG
Started to get the doors in. In order to get the fenders on, the hinges for the front doors had to be in, otherwise it's very difficult to tighten the bolts. In order to align the front doors also the passenger doors had to be installed..... I'd rather did all of them later, but now that they're in I'll leave them in.

IMG_3935.JPG
First front fender

IMG_3936.JPG
Unpacked the middle panel, and found rust :icon-evil::icon-evil:.

IMG_3937.JPG
I couldn't bare the thought of placing it back with rust, so I sent it off to be powder coated.

IMG_3953.JPG
That turned out to be a wise decision :clap: It looks real good now!

IMG_3955.JPG

IMG_3954.JPG
Protection before the installation of the left fender

IMG_3959.JPG

IMG_3960.JPG
Also the wind tunnel, battery mounts and some other bits and pieces have been powder coated. Perfect result for very little money!

IMG_3961.JPG

Hey all,

Again, it's been a while but here's an update on the project.

IMG_3979.JPG
Parts of the roof isolation came loose. Check out the freaky stuff that came out of there :think:

IMG_3978.JPG

IMG_3980.JPG
On of the reasons to get the headliner out was to gain access to the inner roof profiles. Spraying them from the inside will protect it in the future.
On the A-pillar, the spray even came out through some spots on the paint. I would never have thought there was a hole their, and without protecting it from the inside, rust on the long term would have been a cetainty.

IMG_3983.JPG
new isolation glued in

IMG_3984.JPG
A bit of a test ride

IMG_3989.JPG
New rear window, and Dibond side panels. As the truck will be converted to commercial vehicle (hugh tax advance) glass is not allowed.

IMG_3990.JPG
carpet cleaning

IMG_3991.JPG
two new(ish) recaro seats.

IMG_3992.JPG

IMG_3994.JPG
Yesterdays status.truck is coming together more and more.

IMG_3995.JPG

IMG_3996.JPG

IMG_3998.JPG

next up is finishing all the small bits and pieces. Mostly looking for parts missing, or trying to remember where parts came from :icon-wink:

Oh boy, have I been lacking to give an update :eusa-snooty:

The cruiser has been up and running for a while now, and it has been used offroad at a pay and play side once.
Such a great feeling to finally get her up and running!

155.jpg

156.jpg

Last weeks project was installing a christmas gift:

166.jpg

165.jpg

164.jpg

A 90cm led-bar :icon-cool:. The grill needed rigourous modification to accomodate the bar, and it fits with minimal play on all sides.
I wanted the bar to be suspended in a bracket mounted to the steel behind the grill, so I made a bracket.

162.jpg

159.jpg

163.jpg

Oh boy, thats a lot of light :icon-cool::icon-cool:

160.jpg

161.jpg

158.jpg

Made it switch together with the normal 'big light' (what's the english word for it?)

next up is continuing with bits and pieces:
- small radiator leak
- leak on rear window
- start fabricating drawer system in the back
- etc. etc. etc..... :icon-wink:

Looking good Jente.

I think you mean 'Main beam' for the headlights.

Back