Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Honda cat delete

Shayne

Guru
Daughter just had her cat converter stolen in broad daylight . Google says her 2008 Honda Jazz is the most targetted car because it can be removed with a saw in less than a minute .

I know nothing about hem but i did note cut wires as well which along with the fact i can't seem to find a cat delete online has me hesitant to just replace it with pipe .

Any suggestions ?

Can't delete the thread but i've worked out what i'm going to do , can't steal a cat if she hasn't got one .

Last edited:
As has been discussed on here before I think, removing a CAT can be a problem at MOT time due to not having one when it should, failing the emissions test and the possibility of it bringing up a warning light on the dash with the cut wires. This will obviously come down to the vigilance of the tester. I don't know the car either but if it must have one would it be possible to fit a new CAT and weld some sort of protective guard over it, similar to a sump or transmission guard but not as easly removable?

The new trend of steeling cats happening now especially in the US where trucks are targeted as their easily to get under. Why mostly because of supply issues and then price.

Does seem a grey area, as I know several cars that have had CAT removed but still pass MoT.

However I think it's only going to get stricter and stricter, so checks may become more rigorous than they are now.

I'd suggest fitting a (cheap'ish) replacement and a CAT guard as they call them.

P.S. I thought those bungs were to cap existing holes, when you modded your exhaust i.e relocated your O2 sensor?

Instead of paying 80 quid for a cat on ebay they cut it out including the flanges so a cheap fix is over £300 , Honda forums suggest insurance companies typically write the car off rather than pay Honda prices for a full exhaust system . I read more than a few stories of the replacement cat being stolen 2 days later .
Police simply weren't interested though it turns out her car was parked directly under cctv .

I plan to put the bung into a straight pipe so the sensor can still read oxygen levels .

Her insurance excess is £350 .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I will be hiding somewhere close with a crowbar when she parks in the same place next Saturday .

A missing cat is an mot fail, will also fail on emissions.

If its a management system with just a pre cat sensor it probably won't cause an eml with the sensor mounted in a straight pipe,
If has a pre and post cat sensor you're likely to get an eml.

Absolute scum that steal them!!

I had my Collie's cat stolen back in 2019 - just as well it was in for a new exhaust! So didn't work out too expensive.

CCTV showed the barstewards in and out in less than a minute. "Gone in 60 seconds" is quite apt.

I think the Honda is way too new to delete the cat Shayne, cars registered 1992 or earlier don’t have any emissions figures on the V5 so are only subject to a visual check at mot.
As Gary has said removing a cat is now an automatic fail and it will need one anyway to get the emissions right.
Good luck sorting it and don’t forget the crowbar!,

So more cash generating treehugger tat that only works in a lab , gets slowly but surely blocked but should be good for 100k miles , i think her car hasn't hit 60k yet .

She passed mot with flying colours on friday so i will have a proper look when she brings it up and i can get it on ramps .

Used to be regular for some tuned cars to fit the CAT for the mot test then remove and replace with a straight through pipe till next year.
Not as i'd suggest anyone do this but it might be one way to foil the scum.

What would happen if you wrapped razor wire around and existing cat and pipes leading to and from, no doubt the old bill would then take an interest.

You’re right about the lab Shayne! after cleaning a ton of crap out of the inlet manifold on the Amazon the egr valve went straight in the bin. I replaced it with the Toyota part that’s basically a spacer they fit in non EU countries and it sails through the mot on emissions every year!

They will be wishing they only encountered razor wire if i catch them , i'd be happy to explain to a judge that sometimes you have to inflict a little wisdom for the greater good .

I think that will put any lights out !
If we don't look after our possessions, no one else will.

Back